Some 2023 winter range muley pics

JakeH

Long Time Member
Here are some photos I took today out on the winter range in Utah.

This guy looked pretty good, these pictures don't show off his mass very well as the sun and snow kinda washed out how heavy he was, dude was thick. He has 3 extras on his left, making him a 4x7
Screenshot_20230122_165248_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20230122_165334_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20230122_165420_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20230122_165445_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20230122_171419_Gallery.jpg

Here are a few others from the trip.
20230122_180516.jpg
20230122_180411.jpg
20230122_175834.jpg
20230122_180041.jpg
20230122_180250.jpg

Looks like they are in great shape and a few nice ones slipped through the cracks and made it through the seasons! The moisture we are getting on the Colo side of the border looks pretty darn good. Should be really good for next year's browse growth! Keep your fingers crossed the remaining winter is ok.

Here are some photos I took today out on the winter range in Utah.

This guy looked pretty good, these pictures don't show off his mass very well as the sun and snow kinda washed out how heavy he was, dude was thick. He has 3 extras on his left, making him a 4x7
View attachment 100781View attachment 100782View attachment 100783View attachment 100784View attachment 100785

Here are a few others from the trip.
View attachment 100786View attachment 100787View attachment 100788View attachment 100789View attachment 100790
Are these bucks from LE or general units? Thanks for sharing!

My son came over from Craig Colo this week and I asked him about the winter there. He said basically it is worse than they have seen in the past, and they are starting to lose some game. Snow is deep going north to Baggs, or over to Hayden and Steamboat. Elk are all herded up, the deer are starting to struggle. Normally they have a lot of them right in town, and now they have about double the normal number. Snow is about mid thigh deep on him and a lot of deer and rabbits are jumping down into the roadways, and not being able to climb/jump back out. Roadkill is higher than normal. Need some better weather for the next two months for sure!!!

My son came over from Craig Colo this week and I asked him about the winter there. He said basically it is worse than they have seen in the past, and they are starting to lose some game. Snow is deep going north to Baggs, or over to Hayden and Steamboat. Elk are all herded up, the deer are starting to struggle. Normally they have a lot of them right in town, and now they have about double the normal number. Snow is about mid thigh deep on him and a lot of deer and rabbits are jumping down into the roadways, and not being able to climb/jump back out. Roadkill is higher than normal. Need some better weather for the next two months for sure!!!
I agree, I haven't seen any loss of game yet but the depth of the hard crusts(2-3) layers makes it nearly impossible to get to any forage other than the ridge tops. You drive by the scrub oak and see only elk heads from the bedded elk. I am no biologist but I don't think this is going to end well. We have had a few warmer days now which now allow me to walk on top of the snow. At this point I can't see any way the deer/elk can move anywhere - they will be snow locked in there location for another month or two.
I was south of Hayden a few weeks ago and had a herd of 30 antelope that would NOT leave the county the road and my buddy whom lives near this herd said NONE of this herd would survive this winter based on the last 55 years of watching antelope around his ranch.

Looks like two much of good thing this year. Not sure what weather we need now to help these animals - Maybe JIMS can shed some light.

Always a good time cruising around listening to music and glassing bucks on the winter range. Thanks for sharing!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom