Some Merriam’s help

3TOE

Very Active Member
I was hoping to obtain some direction / assistance for a good area to focus on this next spring turkey season for Merriam’s. I have a few friends coming in from other states to hunt with me & I really want to focus more on hunting than scouting & trying to locate the birds. I know of a few good spots for Rio but we were really hoping to get into the Merriam’s. Any information would be greatly appreciated & thanks in advance.

Sundance Wyoming , Bear Lodge Mtns north of town. Chadron Nebraska , south of town on 385 to the public ground. Take your pick , easy tags , thousands of Turks !!!

Oooops ! I forgot I was looking at the Utard forum lol ! Well the areas I posted above are probably more enjoyable to hunt them anyway hahahahaha

Very few true merriams left in Utah. I dont know of any place where you could find a concentration of true merriams in the state.

Thanks! Is there an approximate elevation I should target or are they fairly dispersed across varied elevations?
Start at 8,000'. Basically, anywhere there are Ponderosa with access for higher elevation and thicker brush for the hens to nest in.

Very few true merriams left in Utah. I dont know of any place where you could find a concentration of true merriams in the state.
I did a fair amount of research last year & thought I was hunting an area with true Merriam’s. After a few days of unsuccessful scouting the higher elevations I ended up dropping down & killed what I thought was a hybrid. Thanks!

Start at 8,000'. Basically, anywhere there are Ponderosa with access for higher elevation and thicker brush for the hens to nest in.
Thanks Roadrunner! Myself & my friends are all experienced turkey hunters, but none of us have taken a Merriam’s. Thanks for the elevation info, that helps. I may just give it a stab like last year & see how it plays out. If all else fails, I will just drop down in elevation.

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom