Some places around the state are getting wet.

Good map, it is a start. Needs to shift west, NM has been the big winner but it was early start as they predicted.

The rain in AZ/NM continuing into Oct like it has is a really great start to winter and spring, get those tanks full going into winter.

There are some unreal totals for Cailfornia around Oakland, San Francisco & east towards Reno. You can shift that map over to Cali.

There was enough moisture in Alpine AZ for this big guy to show up this week.

F89E5B70-493F-45D6-B7BB-0004A2570F06.jpeg

Lotsa lightning and thunder around my place last night. Dogs were scared to death. Anyone want to post up some pictures from around the state after this latest storm? thanks

Lotsa lightning and thunder around my place last night. Dogs were scared to death. Anyone want to post up some pictures from around the state after this latest storm? thanks
With the later dates and deep snow, going to be a great year to have an elk tag! Another 12” here in Flag.
63B417EC-AE5F-489D-B279-D7000195A323.jpeg

Another good dump in the making, then spring is around the corner. One more good heavy rain in April/ May and the year is set until summer for some serious healthy animals and huge antler growth. The water content/snowpack numbers are crazy.

Looks like the Central Sierra Snow Lab in CA has now received over 531 inches of snow. In the last 7 days they've received 142 inches. I'd bet they go over 600 inches this year; maybe within the next 10 days!!

Link
UC Berkeley CSSL

There’s so much snow here in Flagstaff it’s crazy. Yes, we get alot of snow here. What’s different this winter is that these storms are coming in ever 3 or 4 days. And every storm is dumping 12+ inches.

Sure hope I pull an elk tag!?

There’s so much snow here in Flagstaff it’s crazy. Yes, we get alot of snow here. What’s different this winter is that these storms are coming in ever 3 or 4 days. And every storm is dumping 12+ inches.

Sure hope I pull an elk tag!?
I was curious does the Kaibab Deer herd ever suffer winter Kill or is there winter range elevation low enough it’s not a concern ?

Hell, I'm wondering if the rim road and forests are going to open in time for spring turkey. I guess if you have to have a problem, too much snow is a good one to have.

Hell, I'm wondering if the rim road and forests are going to open in time for spring turkey. I guess if you have to have a problem, too much snow is a good one to have.
Yup. And those that have the bison hunt up on the Kaibab. Last I saw, the North Rim had close to 200” so far this season, not counting last nights storm.

As an AZ native it's been a long time since I can remember a winter like this. Reminds of the winters we had in late 70's and early 80's. The thing I remember most from those years was the quail population exploded due to triple hatchings.

As an AZ native it's been a long time since I can remember a winter like this. Reminds of the winters we had in late 70's and early 80's. The thing I remember most from those years was the quail population exploded due to triple hatchings.
I miss the quail hunting in the good old days. Birds everywhere and limits were common. I hope to see that again someday.

Crazy that fire restrictions have started in a few parts of the state even after that freakishly early monsoon last week. When it was pounding rain in Clifton last week I told my boss, "I can hear the antlers growing"!
LOL.
Should be a great archery elk hunt this September!
Jeff

Crazy that fire restrictions have started in a few parts of the state even after that freakishly early monsoon last week. When it was pounding rain in Clifton last week I told my boss, "I can hear the antlers growing"!
LOL.
Should be a great archery elk hunt this September!
Jeff
This has been the trend over last few years. Close the forests to camp fires right before Memorial day weekend. Then completely close the forests to camping until monsoons comes. I hate to open the political can of worms here, but some ideologies would rather keep man out of the public owned lands and forests. Another way of controlling us.

Flagstaff: It’s drying up pretty fast up here, but still not as bad as past years thanks to the wonderful winter and that teaser monsoon week earlier this month.

Took a drive up on Anderson Mesa and was surprised how dusty it’s already getting.

Fairly cool daytime temps. It was 32° this morning, but overall, not as dire as previous years regarding early fire season, especially last year. Still think we’re in better shape for late May compared to most years, so that’s good.

Going to be a great year for antler growth for sure! Everything lined up great for the lucky tag holders!

This has been the trend over last few years. Close the forests to camp fires right before Memorial day weekend. Then completely close the forests to camping until monsoons comes. I hate to open the political can of worms here, but some ideologies would rather keep man out of the public owned lands and forests. Another way of controlling us.
Not happy of the trend I have seen either huntazido.
Other than some red flag warnings this side of the state has no fire restrictions, probably for the first time in years before Memorial Day.

This is interesting though:

1685328982961.png

Last edited:
Probably hasn't changed much Bluehair.
I've been driving there just about every day for the last 16 years. It is a good job though and I get to see sheep often :)
>Jeff
We did lotsa little jobs there, but probably the biggest was the Upper Chase Creek dam.

Beautiful country but I sure don’t miss the PD brain damage. You guys are wayyyy better than Globe though :)

Some parts of the state are getting a little, but this is turning out to be a dud for summer rains. Will be interesting to see how this plays out.

The good news is the winter set them up good even with the lack of monsoon. Coues country has caught the edge of some
Of the stuff thag rolled south.

The ditch to Tucson is going to be interesting. I think north probably got set up well enough from the winter.

One of the driest monsoons Flagstaff has seen. I’ve had squat so far. Disappointing, but that’s the nature of the monsoon. Sometimes it’s great, sometimes it sucks.

As of today it hasn’t been great…

Although if the forecast and maps hold true it could change pretty quick here soon. We’ll see how long it lasts.

IMG_8854.png

Pretty paltry up here in Flag.

What a crazy difference from last winter. By end of Jan ‘23, we were buried up to our eyeballs! lol

Pretty paltry up here in Flag.

What a crazy difference from last winter. By end of Jan ‘23, we were buried up to our eyeballs! lol
I don't want another winter like we had last year. I expect us to get a few good storms before it's all said and done.

3-4 storms would be good . there ain't that much up hi. Az. always needs it with 5.5 million people in the Phoenix area in the middle of the desert. !

Our first big one of the winter here in Flagstaff. 24 inches so far at the airport. 16 inches at my house. Another 2 feet forcasted through the weekend.
That’s wild. I’m about 4 sand dunes away and we’ve been getting a slushy mix. Barely 2” this morning. At 6800’ I appear to be right at the snow line.

Arizona Hunting Guides & Outfitters

SilverGrand Outfitters

Offering mule deer, elk, antelope, bighorn sheep, javelina, and turkey hunts in Nevada and Arizona.

Arizona Elk Outfitters

Offering the serious hunter a chance to hunt trophy animals in the great Southwest.

A3 Trophy Hunts

An Arizona Outfitter specializing in the harvest of World Class big game of all species.

Arizona Strip Guides

Highly experienced and highly dedicated team of hardworking professional Arizona Strip mule deer guides.

Urge 2 Hunt

THE premier hunts in Arizona for trophy elk, mule deer, couse deer and javelina.

Shadow Valley Outfitters

AZ Strip and Kaibab mule deer, big bulls during the rut, spot-n-stalk pronghorn and coues deer hunts.

Back
Top Bottom