Something to look forward to for 2009

Big game proposals are posted on http://www.wildlife.state.nm.us and are open for comment.

Some highlights include over the counter off range oryx tags and extending spring turkey season until May 30.

Sounds good to me! The chance at an oryx when it's not 120 degrees in the shade seems too good to be true.

LAST EDITED ON May-14-08 AT 12:52PM (MST)[p]Thanks for posting this info.

If it is the intention of the NMG&F to totally eliminate off-range Oryx than issuing year round OTC tags should accomplish the task within the first year. Oryx will simply stay inside the fence and if they're too dumb to do that they will be shot in short order. Oryx are not like Barbary who seem to maintain their numbers by residing primarily on private land.

IMO the off-range hunts have become more difficult over the last few years so the logical conclusion is that the number of Oryx off the range has been reduced. I understand that there is a need to control exotics by keeping them on the missile range but we are already accomplishing this with off-range draw tags.

IMO this approach will also reduce revenue and hunting opportunity in the long run.
Sure the department will generate good revenue in the first year by selling OTC tags but what happens in the 2nd and 3rd years when the success rate is approaching zero? Not going to be selling very many OTC tags then and will be getting no off-range draw app/tag money.

This approach also will increase poaching. Lets say you are out shooting rabbits, coyotes or what ever. See an Oryx, knock it down, go to Wal Mart, return and tag. I believe there was an arrest made last year for this exact same scenario only it was a Barbary.

Take a kid hunting. You will enjoy it more than they do!

LAST EDITED ON May-14-08 AT 03:30PM (MST)[p]Well stated 264. While the first year would be great and people would be able to harvest simply by putting in enough time I don't think it is a viable means of controlling the off range critters. I can't even imagine the number of people who would be down there (myself included) every chance they got. And you are right, after the first few years the number of animals that move off range would drop as would the revenue the State gets from license application money and over the counter sales. Besides, can you imagine how bad the roads would get with that kind of increase in traffic? Though I would selfishly like the opportunity to hunt oryx every year I would rather put in for off-range tags and draw every few years with the knowledge that I will be able to have a quality hunt and harvest more than just my on-range animal (assuming I harvest one next March). I guess we should weigh in our opinions on the site.

I think unlimited off-range tags would be a big mistake - would rather see the off-range draw like it is. The numbers of off-range oryx has been reduced and going unlimited would just effect the on-range population - well at least in my view.

You are right trout. Everyone please let the NMG&F know how you feel about the proposed changes. Some of the posibble changes for elk are intresting as well.

Take a kid hunting. You will enjoy it more than they do!

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom