Son’s Off Range Archery Oryx

MQQSE

B366CC6A-5111-4702-9C16-F8538396A54B.jpeg

My son was able to get it done this week with his bow. He said he wished he wore gloves with as far as he had to crawl!

I just killed my first Oryx on range with a rifle yesterday and had to shoot it more times than I will admit to kill it with a 300 short mag. Cant believe how freaking tough they are. What was his equipment used, and how far did it run? Congrats

I just killed my first Oryx on range with a rifle yesterday and had to shoot it more times than I will admit to kill it with a 300 short mag. Cant believe how freaking tough they are. What was his equipment used, and how far did it run? Congrats
He used a Matthew’s VXR and I think that bull went about 80-100 yards. He had several failed stalks before he was able to get in front of a group of them and had them work his way.

That is really impressive. I wanted to try it but with only two days to hunt (we lost one due to a mission) on RC I could not bring myself to do it.

Let’s see a post with your oryx !

Congrats to your son, that's quite an accomplishment. I've always known it's "possible" just like spot and stalk pronghorn, but often it boils down to time. Certainly on-range has very little time to try with a bow, but even off-range by the time we account for work, kid's sporting activities, weather, etc. before you know it the month can seem pretty short too LOL. Great bull and great achievement!

Congratulations to your son. I'm headed to WSMR Rhodes next weekend. I got lucky and drew a NR tag the first year that I applied!!! I would love to try it with my bow but with only a couple days to get it done I'm not gonna risk it so taking the .300 RSAUM.

Really looking forward to this hunt. All three of my sons are going to join me for this OIL experience. With all of the them spread out attending college over the years this will be our first big game hunt all together since 2012!!!!

Congratulations to your son. I'm headed to WSMR Rhodes next weekend. I got lucky and drew a NR tag the first year that I applied!!! I would love to try it with my bow but with only a couple days to get it done I'm not gonna risk it so taking the .300 RSAUM.

Really looking forward to this hunt. All three of my sons are going to join me for this OIL experience. With all of the them spread out attending college over the years this will be our first big game hunt all together since 2012!!!!
Good luck! I can honestly say that they are the spookiest animals I have ever hunted. Don’t let them see you before you see them.

Good luck! I got a feeling a giant Oryx is in trouble knowing you and your crew.

I did the RC hunt in 2011, ended up with a 40"+.
I remember when we spotted them at 1000yds they were
standing there staring at us.
So we did the Ninja sneak for about 500 yards, Looked up
and they were at 1000 yds, staring at us.
Wash, rinse, repeat. Same deal they always knew exactly where we were and stayed @ 1000yds.
3.2 miles later we got to within 380 yards and sealed the deal.
VERY WARY critters!!!

Very impressive with a bow. Just finding an off range oryx is difficult. Trying to get in close enough to kill one with a bow would be very challenging in many area. The next time I get an off range tag I may try with my bow but I’ll have to find some Oryx in a spot that I have a reasonable chance of getting close.

View attachment 66551
My son was able to get it done this week with his bow. He said he wished he wore gloves with as far as he had to crawl!
Nice Congratulations! I spent 20 of my 30 year Border Patrol career living in Alamogordo. I got to patrol areas most people will never see, and being an avid Hunter it didn’t take me long to figure out where those oryx are going to be. I’ve been fortunate to take a dozen or so of them during my tenure there, all with rifle though. I can only imagine the difficulty and the satisfaction it must take and give to harvest one with a bow.

If any of you draw oryx off range and wonder where to start just let me know, I’ll be happy to assist.

Your son should have his handle be "Have Bow Will Harvest' even with his recurve!

Ya done good too man.

Congrats,

Robb

Your son should have his handle be "Have Bow Will Harvest' even with his recurve!

Ya done good too man.

Congrats,

Robb
Thanks Robb!

Haha. I’ll let him know. He’s Arrowhead over on the Bowsite but doesn’t get on there as much as I do.

Have a good week!

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom