Son/Grandson just moved to Nevada!

txhunter58

Long Time Member
Son just got a job at a Lithium mine between Reno and Las Vegas. It is in the middle of nowhere, so his wife and 3 kids live in Minden south of Reno. He has always hunted Colorado with me and may still come there, but wondering what his opportunities will be in his new area? Have mainly hunted elk, but also mule deer on occasion. He says he sees lots of antelope driving from the mine to his home, so they will probably be of interest as well. His son is 12 and just getting in to hunting as well.

Anyone that can give me any pointers to help him get started hunting in that area? On here or by PM. Thanks!

txhunter58

venor, ergo sum (I hunt, therefore I am)

LAST EDITED ON Jan-19-19 AT 07:49PM (MST)[p]Looks like units 161-164 might be a possibility for elk and deer, and the units closer to his home, mule deer and antelope.

Not sure how the odds/points work there, but am doing ongoing research on the Nevada website!

They moved there this past September so I assume he can apply as a resident this year, but haven't gotten that far in the regs yet

txhunter58

Yes he'll have resident status this year. Nv runs on a squared bonus point system. So even with zero points you still have a chance...

Silver peak?

Desert sheep, deer, elk and antelope. Areas 16 and 17 hold all the above. Basically find the areas you want to hunt and put in, hoping for the best.

LAST EDITED ON Jan-20-19 AT 07:22AM (MST)[p]Yes, Silver Peak. He works there Mon-Thurs and then is home Fri-Sun.

I figure he is way behind the curve on points, but like your say, there is a chance! His son turns 12 in Feb. Can he apply this year? Are there any youth tags?

What time frame is the application period/deadline for big game? Every time I click on anything relating to the applications/dates, it gives a "error" page

thanks guys,

David

txhunter58

The application period is mid March to mid April. Tag results will be released around memorial weekend. Since his son will turn 12 before any big game season is open he can apply. Areas 16 and 17 can be good and easy to draw. Archery in 17 is just about a guaranteed tag

Don't worry about the points. In Nevada if you draw, your point to go to zero. So unless you are applying for some ridiculous deer units, there is no issue.

Sheep is a long shot anyway, but keep in mind, it's a bonus point system, so you still only have one number in the draw. The bonus points just give you more chances at a low number.

www.ndowlicensing.com.

Go there and get set up. Get the kid signed up for a hunter safety class before March and you should be good to go.

www.ndow.org is the state website.

They usually do a tag application seminar in several places as well.

Good luck.

17 is a really hard unit to hunt easy to draw. Youth tags are great they can hunt every season in the unit they draw. Deer are the only youth tags available and they can shoot either sex. Antelope are plentiful in Nevada and we have a good number of Boone and Crockett animals every year. Around Minden is great deer hunting even bear if he's into chasing them?

LAST EDITED ON Jan-22-19 AT 07:46PM (MST)[p]Thanks guys, I already told him he needs to enroll my grandson in a hunter safety class

txhunter58

>Not to hijack the thread but
>are there cottontails in the
>Minden area

That would be in Dayton at the bunny ranch

Area 18 is a fairly easy unit to draw also I bet a jr could get it every year and it has plenty of deer to hunt

Thanks! Pretty close to where they live too!. Will pass that along

txhunter58

If the grandson draws 18 it has a great muzzy season that runs basically the month of nov so it's prime time rut hunt for a kid.

LAST EDITED ON Jan-29-19 AT 05:51PM (MST)[p]Looks like I found the odds pages for regular and youth tags/statistics. But with the youth, it gives odds and units, but not seasons. How do you know when they are? Thx

txhunter58

Resident youths get to hunt all the seasons in the unit they draw using the appropriate weapon with which season is going on

Nevada Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Big Bucks & Bulls Timberline Outfitters Guide Service

Customized and high quality eastern Nevada trophy hunts for mule deer, elk and antelope.

Western Wildlife Adventures

We offer some excellent mule deer and elk hunts in northeast Nevada.

Currant Creek Outfitters

Nevada, big bucks and big bulls! We hunt for quality not quantity.

Nevada Outfitters & Guides Association

Find guides and outfitters for mule deer, elk, sheep, chuckar, fishing, & more!

SilverGrand Outfitters

Successfully guiding in Nevada for many years. Mule deer, elk, antelope and bighorn sheep hunts.

Hidden Lake Outfitters

Specializing in trophy mule deer hunts along with elk, mountain goat, antelope and mountain lion.

G&J Outdoors

Full time outfitter with 20+ years hunting mule deer, sheep, elk, antelope, lion and chukar.

Mountain Man Outfitters

Offering world class mule deer hunts in some of the most productive units in Nevada.

Nevada High Desert Outfitters

Rocky mountain goats, desert, rocky and california bighorn, mule deer, antelope and elk hunts.

Urge 2 Hunt

If you want an unguided hunt but can't draw your tags, you need to call us.

White River Guide Service

50 years of guiding experience! Mule deer, elk, sheep and cougar.

Back
Top Bottom