Sonora Mexico Pics

H

huntsonora

Since the Muley Crazy issue of Muley Crazy is out I decided to post a few pictures.

The first group of pictures that I am going to post is of a group of guys from California. These guys are like extended family to me. I have been hunting with them for almost 15 years and we have made some awesome hunting memories. None better than this past January when everybody in the group was able to harvert their largest mule deer.

I will add a few pictures to this post as we go or as I have time so stop back in and check it out from time to time. Also, if you have not subscribed to Muley Crazy magazine yet you need to do so, these pictures are just a small sample of what your missing out on.

Drummond

001_complete.jpg

The first group of photos are of a MM members buck, Bobby Samuelson is 7MMMan here on MM. I am sure he will come on and tell you guys more about the hunt. This buck grosses just over 200", he is a SLUG!

sonorapics069.jpg

sonorapics076.jpg

The second buck is Vince Martinazzis buck. We killed this deer the day before Bobby and Vernon arrived in Sonora. He grosses 207" and nets 196" even with a short G2. We had seen this buck the night before we took him but only got glimpses of him. It was a long night waiting for morning...

sonorapics029.jpg

sonorapics033.jpg

sonorapics054.jpg

This last buck was taken by Vernon Martinazzi. Vernon is Vinces father and has been taking his boys hunting their whole lives. The article in Muley Crazy was a tribute to Vernon for all he has done over the years. I hope I am as enthusiastic about buck hunting as Vernon when I get to be his age. Any hunt with Vernon is a blast. Here is his 32" wide 193" deer.

sonorapics099.jpg

sonorapics112.jpg

Here is a picture of the group of 5 from California with their 7 bucks. I know they can be hard to see in the pic but check back and I'll have more pictures posted later.

Picture12.jpg

WoooooooooooooooW!! Ive never really felt the urge to travel anywhere to hunt seeing as Alberta is full of world class hunting, but your's and other peoples pics from the last couple of seasons has really got me wanting to venture down south for a mule deer hunt. I just cant get enough of those big suckers!

Great bucks, How big is the Sonora, it seems like great bucks are taken all the time, and more and more, how long until they are all gone and the sonora ends up like utah?

Yeah baby! That's what I'm talkin' about!!! Sweet bucks!!!

Congratulations to you and all your hunters Drum.

Thanks for posting up the pictures.

NvrEnuf

Wow! Great bucks!! Glad you can finally share these with us, look forward to seeing more of your pics.

BTW, are you in any of the pictures?

Mark

(I wish this site had a spell check)

so I gotta ask, what is the scoop on Sonora? Is it costly to hunt? If it's no secret that there are MM's down there why isn't over run with people and like a previous post all shot out (i.e. how does Mexico manage their mule deer)?

There are some smart people on this site, but I will try and answer them, Mexico has a alot more land. All of these deer are of private ranches, and yes it costs a bunch of money. 7K if you want a great hunt. The private ranches only kill a few deer per year.

Great buck, unfortunately 7K is more than my hunting rig is worth! Lets hope there's still some down there when I have the funds one day!!!

Here it is the 10th and still haven't received my Muley Crazy mag. Drum, I hope you didn't pre ejaculate and let the cat out of the bag. AWESOME!!

Very nice. I like the picture of all the racks skylined (unless you're the guy with his hands in his pockets, LOL!)

Steve

good job, 'huntso'...looking forward to more pics....thank you . wow....what a bunch of great bucks...

Here are the fight pics from Sonora. We were actually driving down a road and I looked up and saw the back end of a deer in the road about a mile if front of us. As we got closer I could tell he was wide but not much more, we were able to drive within 50 yards of this buck. He was snort wheezing at another deer on the other side of the fence. He was not what we were looking for so we drove on ahead, he finally hopped the fence and commenced to getting his ass whupped by the smaller buck. Here are the pics...

sonorapics011.jpg

sonorapics012.jpg

sonorapics015.jpg

sonorapics016.jpg

sonorapics017.jpg

sonorapics018.jpg

sonorapics019.jpg

sonorapics020.jpg

sonorapics021.jpg

sonorapics022.jpg

sonorapics023.jpg

sonorapics028.jpg

Thanks Drum.
WOW!
I'm glad we had to wait.
Photos like these are what we all dream about.
Really helps to inspire us this time of year.
Once again, thank you for the endorphin rush.
HH

Drum Are you calling me or the buck a SLUG?

For all of you that that has a special hunting partner or family member I hope you can understand why we ask Drummond to wait until Muley Crazy came so we could surprize Vern Martinazzi with the pictures and article on his 75th birthday.

LAST EDITED ON May-10-06 AT 10:38PM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON May-10-06 AT 10:37?PM (MST)

> Drum Are you
>calling me or the buck
>a SLUG?
>
>
>For all of you that
>that has a special hunting
>partner or family member I
>hope you can understand why
>we ask Drummond to wait
>until Muley Crazy came so
>we could surprize Vern Martinazzi
>with the pictures and article
>on his 75th birthday.
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>

Bobby, You know I never call a big mule deer anything other than "A BIG, BEAUTIFUL MULE DEER BUCK"!

My hope is that you blew your beverage all over the computer screen when you read that! Call me tomorrow if you get a chance.

Congratulations again Bobby on your deer. I will never forget that hunt. Its one of the all time best!

Drum

theridge sorry but I picked up a copy of MC at sportsmans on monday
Drummond, I noticed you wrote the article and kept looking for you to be in some of the pictures, guess they didnt make it in the magazine. Great to see some more.
I still plan on meeting up with you for lunch or something, when are you in Fort Collins next? My wife's buck should be coming back from the taxidermist soon!!
Jeff

I am glad they did not have any of my pics, the credit goes to the hunters. All of them made very difficult shots and hunted hard. Besides that, my ugly mug would not sell magazines, thats why I posted my pics on MM, its a free website, LOL.

I'm ready to do lunch, I should be in Ft. Collins in a couple of weeks. I cant wait to see your wifes deer in person, its a great buck! Talk to you soon,

Drum

When 5 guys get 7 deer that big, it can't be a real tough hunt. But, I'm still jealous and would go "hunt" a couple if I had the money to blow.

Thanks Drum! Congrats on the success.

Cutthroat - Have you ever hunted with Drum or in Mexico?

Lien2

Awesome success Drummond. Sonora is a really tough hunt. Mainly because of the lay of the land. The brush is really thick and topography largely flat. The numbers of huge bucks you see in the magazines are very misleading. It makes you think that all you do is show up in Sonora and kill a monster, simple as that. It is far from a sure thing and killing a huge buck is no slam dunk. I had an outfitter friend down there when I hunted in 04 tell me that overall succes is about 50% and success on really good bucks (mid 180's +) is only about 20-25%.

Read the article by Jason Gisi about the way things work in Sonora. It is very interesting and spot on with my experience there. But it is a kind of sad too. Big dollars are casting a dark shadow over the state. High dollars and high egos are leading to the proliferation of high fences and high racks for hunting. Kinda a shame. What made Sonora and it's Mexican guides famous is tracking wise old bucks on the desert floor. That is a dying skill with the prominent use of the high rack today. I'm glad I got to experience the old fashioned way when I was down there. That old cowboy blew me away with how he tracked my buck over that rocky soil. It was really incredible. Still, the Sonoran experience is second to none and I sure hope it stays that way forever.

Those are some great looking mulies...hopefully someday i will get one like that!

Fight pics are absolutely RADICAL! Would love to turn one of those into a oil painting. Any more?

WOW!! Those pics are awesome!!! COngrats to the hunters on some great trophies!! Maybe someday I'll get down to Mexico! I guess I can always dream......

TUFF

So ya um drummond, how do I go about booking one of these hunts? :D
Those are some awesome bucks man!

-Cass

As promised, here are a few more pics. This buck was killed by Paul Vial from California. This guy is a mule deer fanatic just like all of is and dropped his largest buck to date this past January. Its 36" wide outside and grossed right at 200" or so.

Agachado___212__004.jpg

Here are a couple more pictures from Bobbys(7mmman) group. I will let him give you guys the specifics.

Picture3.jpg

Picture4.png

I will post more pictures later.

Drum

Thanks for the pics Drum. I'm still kicking myself for not hunting Mexico in THE year. Thanks also for all the good posts over the last couple of years.

Here are a few scenery shots.

sonorapics091.jpg

sonorapics087.jpg

sonorapics026.jpg

sonorapics013.jpg

And here is a few Coues from this past season. The 2 big deer gross 119" and 130"

Picture11.jpg

Picture9.jpg

Picture10.jpg

Drummond

Why all of the negitive comments? I guess just total jealousy. I'm 57 years old had a heart attack at 50 Triple A Anurism surgey at 51 doctors cut me in half to replace 8 inches of my arota. My wife and I raised and educated 3 wonderful children who support whatever we want to do with our time and money. We don't own a travel trailer,fishing boat,country club membership. Everyone has the right to spend their money as they choose. I totally understand were alot of you are in your lives. I've been there. Please don't critize those of us who worked our asses off and made sacrifices in our 20,s 30,s and 40,s TO take aonce in a lifetime hunting trip. Take a good look at most of the guys behind those bucks and you'll see guite a bit of grey hair. While I'm venting I'd like to say I didn't see 1 bale of hay or 1 FEEDER on the 21000 acre ranch we were on. 7mmman

Congrats on a great hunt. Sounds like it was well deserved.

Nevermind all the negative comments. Its seems to get worse all the time. You are right, most of it is jealously.

Thanks for the pic's

Fortunately I did not see any of the negative comments. I probably would have blown a gasket. Any negativity directed towards 7mmman or his friends is like taking a shot at one of my family members. These are some of the greatest guys I have ever hunted with.

There are a few people out there that will do or say anything to bring others down. It must be a sad pathetic life to have to get your kicks by trying to bring others down. I guess what they say is true, misery does need company.

There are a lot of great guys out there that will not post their pictures here on MM anymore because as soon as picture of a big deer is shown there are a few that will do whatever it takes to demean their accomplishment. FREAKING PATHETIC!!!

Unfortunately this site is not what it used to be and whats sad is that its just a small handful of people that bring it down. I hope that the majority that frequent this site can and will start to be more positive and help us clean this place up. MM is a great place where we can all congregate to share our passion of hunting monster muleys. If you dont want to be a part of a postitive enviroment then just leave, you are not welcome here anymore.

Drummond

Drum and Crew,
Those are some incredible bucks. I'm sure the pics and the mounts will bring back great memories for years to come. Thanks for sharing them with us. It is truley amazing to see the quality that you consistantly take down there.

As for the negative comments, Our buddy NONE has been trying to stir the pot once again but I think he finally got tired of retyping the same stuff over and over again only to have me nuke it a few minutes later. ;)

For years I've always wondered why we have so many road hunters in these parts. They're looking for deer that feed on dirt roads. I'm going to shelve my hiking gear and start road hunting more myself...

(It's taken me too long to realize this, but I'm learning to blow by the negative comments and try to just focus on the good stuff).

By far the best pictures of the year, Drummond, thanks so much for posting them!! Huge muleys not withstanding, I can't get over that last Coues deer yet! Incredible.

I would so love to be able to afford a Sonoran hunt, as I love the desert and huge muleys, man, what a combo! Perhaps someday after the kids are done with college/weddings.

Thanks again for the incredible pics, and congratulations to all you Sonoran shooters. Bucks of a lifetime!!

Great place HuntSonora.

I would love to hike around that country. Especially those hills in the background. I bet there's some really huge nocturnal bucks around there that will one day make a mistake.

Congratulations to the hunters that saved up the money to make it down there to hunt them desert muleys.

Great Bucks! Those are some incredible photos. To see all of those monsters together is something else. Thanks for sharing.

Hiker

Proverbs 3:5-6

Hey Drum, what is your website again? What is the all inclusive cost of a hunt? What about $5 grand or so, or more?

Thanks
Bill

Some people just don't know how you have to hunt in different parts of the country, High-rigs are a part of hunting in that area of the country due to the thick brush, just like hounds running deer in the south(Swamps) is a part of hunting in that area of the country, Just like horse packing back into a wilderness area in Wyoming, They all have their place in the World of hunting if you don't want to hunt like they do in the part of the country they are in THEN DON'T but don't look down your skinny-a$$ nose at some-one else way of hunting. Some-one puts so great pictures on this site and you have a few A$$-holes talking about this or that, HAVE YOU GUYS been hunting. BY the Way great pictures and great story for all you guys, hope to share a camp with you all some day.

Drum,
I would love to get some information from you. A link to your site, brochure. Stuff like that cause what a dream come true would a big muley hunt in Mexico be. And youre the best so i guess send me a PM with what i need to know. Awesome hunts, awesome pictures, its just plan AWESOME!!!

Garrett

Drum does not have a site but who ever has there finger on the nuke button is way fast .

Ah I see its you beastyboy . You have one to nuke over on general hunting forum under spotlighting .

I keep coming back to check these bucks over again and again.
Them coues are phenominal!

Thanks again and congrats again to the hunters.

Chef
"I Love Animals...They're Delicious!"

I'm 7's son. Although the bucks are OUT OF THIS WORLD I think everyone's missing my Dad's, Drummond's, and their hunting partner's point.

If you read the MC article, Drummond's original post, and my Dad's post you'll notice a reoccurring theme...family, friends, and the outdoors.

When my Dad came back from Mexico he couldn't stop talking about the great time he had...not the size of the bucks. Sure the buck were a highlight but he was absolutley glowing because of the camaraderie and respect found around the camp. He kept talking about the little kids that live on the ranch and how appreciative they were when he bought them a soccer ball, his much respect for my long lost adopted surrogate brother (Drummond), the owners of the ranch and their commitment to stewardship, and most of all how happy he was that Vern killed a 30-inch buck and realized a 70+ year dream. He barely even talked about the fact that he killed a 200 buck!!!

Sure big bucks are fun but my fondest hunting memories are hunting little coastal deer and ground squirrels with my Dad and brother.

There's always going to be jealous low life's that want to get into pissing matches about the color of the sky and such but I can tell that the majority of the good people on this site appreciate a good honest hunt when they see one.

Although I'm not a big hunter anymore I want to thank my Dad for my HUUUGGE passion for the outdoors. I spend a lot of time in the backcountry (I'm a mountain biker and snowboard mountaineer)and often sit around the campfire and contemplate my Dad's committment to his family and the outdoors. I only hope I'm have the provider he is and was. -Lil 7 Man

>Why all of the negitive comments?
> I guess just total
>jealousy. I'm 57 years old
>had a heart attack at
>50 Triple A Anurism surgey
>at 51 doctors cut me
>in half to replace 8
>inches of my arota. My
>wife and I raised and
>educated 3 wonderful children who
>support whatever we want to
>do with our time and
>money. We don't own a
>travel trailer,fishing boat,country club membership.
>Everyone has the right to
>spend their money as they
>choose. I totally understand were
>alot of you are in
>your lives. I've been there.
>Please don't critize those of
>us who worked our asses
>off and made sacrifices in
>our 20,s 30,s and 40,s
>TO take aonce in a
>lifetime hunting trip. Take a
>good look at most of
>the guys behind those bucks
>and you'll see guite a
>bit of grey hair. While
>I'm venting I'd like to
>say I didn't see 1
>bale of hay or 1
>FEEDER on the 21000 acre
>ranch we were on.
>
> 7mmman

I agree Chef! Nothing like those big ol' Sonoran Desert muleys!

lil_7_man, your post above hit this sucker squarly on the head!!!!! Good stuff... That's definitely what it's all about man! ;-)

Great job Drum et al!

S.

:)

WAmuleyhunter You're right on Drummond is the man. He wouldn't do you or anybody wrong. Our hunt with Drum was truly awesome and we're going back in 07. However, we certainly aren't naive enough to expect a repeat 0f 06. 7mmman.

7mm, congrats on your groups bucks. Those are some awesome animals. Looking at the scenery pictures, they remind me of hunting whitetails on the ranch down here in south Texas. Make sure to post pictures of the mounts when they get done.

Drum, Roger Sambeuso from Madera. He's done all our work since about 1992. Roger,s got 6 of the bucks from Mexico that he's working on right now. I think Roger's on the site as (SAM).I haven't seen anybody in California turn out Roger's quality. I'll try to get Lance's Wyoming buck posted up to show you his work. good to hear from you. 7mmman

Like Drum and Bob said, I guess some people are just so jealous that they cant ever be happy for someone elses accomplishments. This is a wonderful sight and the fact that some people feel the need to put sarcastic comments about some guys who take huge bucks is a real shame. If you don't have anything good to say just shut up!!!! If your the kind of person that can't respect the amazing hunt these guys went on to get these great bucks, then you don't deserve a chance to hunt these great creatures at all. For all of you who don't know him personally Drummond is one of the best guys you could ever hope to meet, and one of the most knowledgable mule deer guides you will ever find, and as Drum has told you I don't know a better group of guys then the ones your looking at in these pictures, or a more deserving group of hunters. If you look back at Drummond's original post, the guy with the third buck, Vernon, turned 75 just shy of a month ago, and I can say first hand you all will never meet a better guy or a more deserving hunter, he is also the type of person that never says a bad word about anyone. So to all you who feel the need to post negative comments about those guys, well I guess your so miserable we won't have to worry about you still being alive to hunt at 75 cause your own misery will have killed ya by then. I had to just put that post up to vent about the people on this sight that are just plain rude. Anyhow, thanks to the rest of you that appreciate looking at these great pictures of some great guys with magnificient bucks.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom