Sonoran Outfitters

T

Tuskhunter

What an Experience!

Spoke with SO many times regarding quality of deer they had to hunt.
I explained I had been to Sonora before and have already killed a deer in the 180's. I expressed my desire to hunt a ranch that has been managed for big bucks in the 190 - 200 range. I was assured that there were several bucks in the 180 and up range on the ranch I was hunting.

Booked hunt and was excited, sent flight info.
And gun permit info and was excited to go.

Week before heading to Mexico Sonoran Outfitters (SO) called requesting for my gun permit info again saying the Mexican Military had lost it. Sent gun permit info again.

Day before leaving SO ask what flight I was on again.

Day of arrival in Sonora many Hunters on flight booked with SO cking guns in Mexico, my gun permit is not there, have to text SO because they weren't sure when I was flying in, they bring permit in no problem.

Load stuff in SO trucks sit around in airport for 1 1/2 hours waiting to find out what happen to several hunters luggage not SO fault.

Arrive at ranch then SO explains I will be going to another ranch, no problem.
Arrive at ranch I will be hunting, very nice accommodations.

Day 1 of hunting see a few does right of the bat so far so good 1 hr into hunt see buck in the 160 maybe 170 range but I'm there to hunt 190- 200" deer. Hunt the rest of morning see 1 small buck and a few more does.
Lunch then rest till 3:30 because they say deer won't move because it's hot. No Problem.

Food was off the hook best ever.
Hunted the next day high racked in the morning then after noon climbed up on hill to glass see a few does then coming down ranch road to bottom of hill were glassing from is another high rack not from our camp call SO speak with Todd Rice he explains that is another guide of his from the ranch next door coming to hunt over on the ranch were on, and that the more trucks we have moving around the more deer we will see. THIS IS WHEN I KNEW THAT I WAS NOT GOING TO SEE THE DEER HE PROMISED WERE HERE.

Day after day we hunted all over the place glassing high racking orange piles you name it we did it. Nothing like guides not communicating ,high racks hunting the same fence line one on one side of fence one on the other side of fence heading same direction. Driving down road only to see a guide an hunter from a different ranch coming from the direction your heading.

Speak with Todd Rice w/ SO he assures me the more pressure on these deer the more we will see. FEELING INSULTED we all know most big deer leave an area when pressured.

14 hunters hunting 3 different ranches with SO 3 bucks killed 180, 160, 150, I shot the 150 a 180 deer was never even seen. The Rut was in high gear our group saw deer everyday but nothing even remotely close to 175

No wildlife tags or documentation to take our deer home for anyone in our camp also spoke with hunters that have not got there horns back from the previous years hunt.

Wondered why we were not seeing any trophy deer, Found out that last year the ranch I was on they shot 16 mule deer the year before not one scored over 189 BC.

We all work hard for our money so I just want my fellow hunters to know what there getting into.

Most all great hunts I've been on no matter where have been with outfitters who only guide one small group at a time.

I rated the following things on a 1 to 10 scale 1 being worst and 10 great

Food 9
Lodging 8
Deer numbers 5
Trophy deer quality 2 (did see antlers some hunters didn't)
Organization of outfitter 1
Guides 8
Expectations promised by outfitter 1

Lessons learned

Don't go with outfitter who runs big number hunters
Make your own contract for outfitter to sign regarding ranch your hunting and paper work for bringing your trophy home

Sorry to hear you didn't enjoy your hunt. That doesn't sound good at all. In my five years going down there with him, my gun permit has always been ready, the guides have been outstanding and I've never had a problem getting animals back. I brought five deer back in four years and the tags and paperwork were never an issue. I know he had some new guides there this year and maybe it wasn't as organized as it could have been, I was there a week before you but I know all the guides that were there and they work hard for their hunters. I have days at work when everything doesn't go as well as I would like but I do my best but I still don't make everyone happy. That's just life and maybe it was just a bad set of circustances at that time... I know I wouldn't keep going back if it was that bad every time. I hope you have a better experience on your next hunt!!

I just re read your posting and while as not to try to attack or offend you, I would like to ask you a question? If you are going down there trophy hunting for a 190" deer that you feel should be running all over the place, why do you settle on a 150 inch deer??? What's the point? It seems to me that by doing so, you are contributing more to the problem rather than trying to help alleviate it. There are high fence ranches down there you can "shoot" your guaranteed 190" but the ranches he has are for hunting and anyone who actually hunts knows nothing is guaranteed. I'd like to know what you think you accomplished by shooting the 150" when you were looking for the 190". It's a serious question, thanks.

I've heard from several outfitters down there, and a few friends of mine who hunt down there every year, to steer clear of SO, for multiple reasons. He seems to like wandering onto ranches that aren't his,if you know what I mean.

I've hunted Sonora several times, Glad to meet the expert, " Well if you would like to come to Texas and hunt on my ranch come on , Texas does have some deer killed in low fence that score in the 180's every year however if you come to my ranch I don't have anything close, have killed deer in the 150's however your expectations should be in the 135 to 140.
I was booked with another outfitter and changed to Sonoran Outfitters after I was assured the ranch I would be hunting has many deer in the 175 to 180 and would turn down 160's everyday with possibility of deer over 200".

I have been hunting for over 35 years and this was by far the most disorganized over selling outfitter I have ever encountered.

As I said before I have hunted Sonora before turned down 180's on the first day and 170's on the last

Although i was there to hunt 190 to 200" mule deer the guide told me I should shoot because that was the biggest we were going to see on this ranch, every animal I kill while hunting is a trophy no matter how many inches

There were 3 hunters in another camp that only saw 20 does combined and 1 spike after 7 days of hunting they we're return customers from the year before that said that to have not received there antlers from the previous year AND WOULD NOT HUNT WITH Sonoran Outfitters again

I'm just stating what happened on my latest trip with Sonoran Outfitters , if you choose to believe me or not is your

EABOD TODD

Yeah I was told we could shoot across the fence just cover up our tracks if we shoot something on one of the neighboring ranches he said he did not have leased. That's when I knew I was hunting with a screwball

Apparentley I did offend you due to your sarcasm, that was not my intention, I'm sorry for that. I am not an expert but have many years of experience hunting as well, I wasn't trying to get your credentials or your need to explain why you were an expert... I simply wanted to know why you would go down there looking for a 190 then shooting a 150 which you initially seemed disappointed in but defend now saying every deer is a trophy. I agree with you but sometimes if you are looking for something that big, you have to be willing to go home empty handed and leave the 150 that might be someone else's 190 next year... I just wanted to know why someone would do that is all. And FYI, you are an expert at using acronyms... really drives your point home! So, i still have no good reason as to why any one does that? Does anyone else know?

LAST EDITED ON Jan-28-14 AT 11:34AM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Jan-28-14 AT 11:33?AM (MST)

Free Range 228 7/8 Mule Deer Killed in Sonora Mexico 2014
www.sonoranoutfitters.com

8639free_range_mule_deer_killed_sonora_mexico_2014.jpg

Whats your name Tuskhunter?? Man up! I want to know the names of who said you could shoot across a fence and just cover up the tracks. Give me a valid name of the person that said that. Who was your guide and driver and what ranch were you on??? Sorry but I feel if someone is going to talk smack at least don't hid behind a profile name.. Tuskhunter. Seriously !!
Jennifer

There are a few outfits down there that are shady and this one is one of them for sure.

My name is Carl and have hunted with Sonoran Outfitters [Todd Rice]. 2010 went on mule deer hunt and was told 180 class was a sure bet. Met 9 other hunters hunting with SO and 2 killed both where under 160. No one saw anything close to 180. Came home and filled out couple of hunting reports and Todd called me and said he was losing business because of them. Told me to come back 2011 and just cover your food cost so I agreed. Met 3 other hunters hunting with SO and they were told they would see 7 to 8 deer over 28 inches on first day. No one saw anything close or shot anything. Second hunt was worse than first. Todd said come back again and I said no way your deer hunting sucks. He said come and kill a Desert Sheep I'm 100%. We had contract that said I could keep coming back till I got one if needed. Killed a great sheep on 2nd day and payed the money plus shipping. After several calls still no sheep in my hand. He admitted he didn't have a tag for it but would get a 2014 tag in November and send it to me. Not only is that illegal I never heard from Todd again. I have to sue him to get my money back which is over $30,000. TODD RICE IS A BAD PERSON STAY CLEAR!!!!!!!. Lawyer ran background check on him holy bleep It explains everything. Carl 314-750-4121

LAST EDITED ON Aug-28-14 AT 00:08AM (MST)[p]Carl Is a Liar:

As a frequent hunter with Sonoran Outfitters and Todd Rice, a person I consider a friend in the hunting world, I can assure you the gentleman posting this DID NOT go on a big horn sheep hunt with Sonoran Outfitters or Todd Rice as he has stated. From what I have seen him posting on several forums as well as YouTube, in this case is SLANDER and his numerous posts on other hunting forums constitutes LIBEL. From IP addresses, etc. it also appears that Carl has about 20 DIFFERENT NAMES he posts under.

Sonoran Outfitters, as well as almost every outfitter I have worked with and are am aware of, has a clause in his contract that says he can transfer a booked hunt to another outfitter if he is unable to provide the services at the time of the hunt. In this case, I know first hand that Carl's big horn sheep hunt was not with Sonoran Outfitters or Todd Rice, it was transferred to another outfitter entirely. THIS IS A FACT Carl is well aware of if any of his story is to be believed. I would think, if Carl had been on a previous hunt with Todd (I have no idea either way), he would know who he was hunting with.

The only transgression I am aware of is that Sonoran Outfitters and Todd Rice tried to step in and help Carl recover the cape and horns from the other outfitter as any reputable outfitter would, if a similar case occurred.

Long and short, every business has a dissatisfied customer or two, but the lengths Carl has gone to, attacking Sonoran Outfitters and Todd Rice, using numerous different aliases, is immoral and illegal.

Carl (as well as the sites posting his rants), I hope you take all of this into consideration before you attack my friend any further.

Anyone can feel free to email me at [email protected] to discuss this further.

Regards,

Frank Pollard

Frank I noticed you called Carl out but not the originator of the thread Todd Eabod. I followed this thread from the beginning and talked to a good number of people that hunted with Sonora Outfitters as I was looking at a Sonora hunt, they had many of the same responses. I've never hunted with SO and won't but a lot of people that haven't posted sure have the same opinion as the posters.

I have hunted with Todd for 5 consecutive years and am returning for a 6th. I have killed 3 of my best mule deer (between 180-190") and two book coues deer hunting with Todd. I had a reasonable chance at good deer every year. Last year was tough, goofy weather, delayed rut, extremely poor ALL OVER SONORA. Did I see a 180-200" deer every day?? No. Newsflash...and you won't either!! Do some of these people even realize what a 200" mule deer is?? Am I there to kill a 180-200" deer?? Of course, who isn't!!?? Only difference is, I don't whine a moan and write nasty letters complaining when I don't. I have learned one ting about hunters since hunting in Sonora, most of them are an embarrassment to the hunting world and with VERY FEW exceptions, I would not spend another day with most of them. The hunters that do the most complaining are usually standing in the ranch yards asking where all the deer are and then give guys like me the look when we come in after HUNTING ALL DAY with a deer in the truck, you know, the same guys that hand their "1000 yard" deer rifle to people they have never met and say, "you need one of these...".
These people need to sit in a duck blind all day and shoot one mallard, walk 15 miles behind a dog and shoot or miss 2 pheasants or sit in a deer stand for 7 days, sun-up to sun-down and never see an antler, fish four days and never hook a muskie. There is a reason why Jack O'Connor considered the desert mule deer to one of, if not the, most coveted animals in the world (at a time when there a hell of a lot more of them) because they aren't easy to kill!! So Todd told you there were 200" deer on the ranches....because you/they didn't shoot one means they weren't on the ranch???
I fear for our hunting community, the mentality and expectations of the hunters. We aren't guaranteed tomorrow or our next breath for that matter, what makes some of us think we are guaranteed a trophy deer just because we paid for the tag??? And a world class deer much less!! Want a guarantee, Go hunt behind a fence!!
Greg
(btw, I know the story behind most of these clowns that are doing the complaining)

>I have hunted with Todd for
>5 consecutive years and am
>returning for a 6th.
>I have killed 3 of
>my best mule deer (between
>180-190") and two book coues
>deer hunting with Todd.
>I had a reasonable chance
>at good deer every year.
> Last year was tough,
>goofy weather, delayed rut, extremely
>poor ALL OVER SONORA.
>Did I see a 180-200"
>deer every day?? No.
>Newsflash...and you won't either!! Do
>some of these people even
>realize what a 200" mule
>deer is?? Am I there
>to kill a 180-200" deer??
>Of course, who isn't!!??
>Only difference is, I don't
>whine a moan and write
>nasty letters complaining when I
>don't. I have learned
>one ting about hunters since
>hunting in Sonora, most of
>them are an embarrassment to
>the hunting world and with
>VERY FEW exceptions, I would
>not spend another day with
>most of them. The
>hunters that do the most
>complaining are usually standing in
>the ranch yards asking where
>all the deer are and
>then give guys like me
>the look when we come
>in after HUNTING ALL DAY
>with a deer in the
>truck, you know, the same
>guys that hand their "1000
>yard" deer rifle to people
>they have never met and
>say, "you need one of
>these...".
> These people need to
>sit in a duck blind
>all day and shoot one
>mallard, walk 15 miles behind
>a dog and shoot or
>miss 2 pheasants or sit
>in a deer stand for
>7 days, sun-up to sun-down
>and never see an antler,
>fish four days and never
>hook a muskie. There
>is a reason why Jack
>O'Connor considered the desert mule
>deer to one of, if
>not the, most coveted animals
>in the world (at a
>time when there a hell
>of a lot more of
>them) because they aren't easy
>to kill!! So Todd told
>you there were 200" deer
>on the ranches....because you/they didn't
>shoot one means they weren't
>on the ranch???
>I fear for our hunting community,
>the mentality and expectations of
>the hunters. We aren't
>guaranteed tomorrow or our next
>breath for that matter, what
>makes some of us think
>we are guaranteed a trophy
>deer just because we paid
>for the tag??? And
>a world class deer much
>less!! Want a guarantee,
> Go hunt behind a
>fence!!
>Greg
>(btw, I know the story behind
>most of these clowns that
>are doing the complaining)
>
>

+1

"heard from several outfitters to steer clear....."??? Envious outfitters is what it should read!! Todd Rice has more land than he could hunt in one season, why would he need to hunt on other land. That is B.S. I have hunted with Todd 5 going on 6 years and have covered a lot of country and have NEVER been off property but to cross and reenter. Get off the crap slinging bandwagon!!! Todd Rice has this to offer; food, beer, shelter, hot showers, guides, both American and Mexican (if your afraid of Mexican guides, hunt Iowa) endless miles of ranch land and from what I've seen, the best mule deer and coues deer hunting this contenant has to offer. But don't take my word for it, I've only killed 3 great mule deer and 2 book coues deer in 6 years. Poor outfitter???? Get a clue, hunt all day and learn how to shoot!!

I wonder if the hunter shot that deer because, "the guide told him to shoot it because it would be the biggest deer he'd see all week......" Ya think?! Hunters, this is what Todd Rice has to offer!! Quit your bitchin and hunt! I have seen more trophy class derr in 5 years of hunting Sonora than I have in a lifetime of hunting mule deer. I plan on going to hunt with SO evry year, Good Lord willing.

I had the same experience in January 2014 with a lot of other mule deer hunters that were dispersed to different ranches via this outfitter, some coming to the same ranch I was on. As we got together with no deer being seen, with different packages being offered to each, and when we got to the airport upon departure, 10 or 12 of us, the temperature amongst us all was high.

Each one of us was misrepresented in different ways with the same hunt having thousands of dollars difference in hunts. 1 hunter brought a customer down and he was extremely mad.

It is sad to have misrepresentations take place. You cannot even take references at their word anymore, because the references are those given by the outfitter...slanted many times.

There would be no way I could ever recommend this outfitter to anyone after this experience.

I will make one other reply.... I have hunted Alaska 4 times . Yukon once . Idaho 3 times . New Mexico 3 times . South Texas (free range) best 179 7/8 white tail.....

Guides that know the land .... Todd's guide was from Vancouver Island - not one on the ranch that knew the land backwards and forwards..... If it were me just griping in January 2014, that would be one thing.... but when there were 10 to 12 arriving and departing.... and many experienced, one having taken a desert ram a year or two earlier..... that is another...

To bad Tusk...didnt do your homework on SO....lots of bad experiences out there lately....shows a trend dont ya think....

))))------->

RE: Sonoran

You can't expect to see a 200" deer when that many are harvested every year. That is why at Sonoran Hunting Adventures we limit the Mule deer harvest to one five or six man hunt per year for couse on rancho Las Taunitas and one Mule deer hunt 5 or max 6 tags on 27,000 acres. In addition to that Rancho Las Lorenzo has not been hunted since 2015. I have recently acquired the hunting rights and have cameras on premises. Our mule deer hunt is a combination Mule Couse for $8,500 or party of 5 $8,250. All inclusive no trophy fees.
Most deer have dropped their horns by now but we will share photos when we have promising trophy's start showing up this fall.

Mark
[email protected]

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Mexico Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy Sonoran mule deer and coues deer on over 400,000 acres of private ground.

DIY Coues Deer Hunts

Hunt 20k acre private ranch in Sonora for coues bucks ranging in the 100" class. Email Michael at [email protected].

Sonora Outfitters

We hunt on some of the best ranches in Sonora - known for holding trophy Desert Bighorn Sheep and trophy Mule Deer.

MADD Hunts

DIY coues buck hunts on 30 sq. miles of archery only, private lands. Nice accomodations, along with information and photos.

Back
Top Bottom