Son's deer from Oct. 18th

gb22

Very Active Member
LAST EDITED ON Oct-19-16 AT 11:18AM (MST)[p]James, 13-year-old son, and his deer from October 18, 2016.

We spotted him from a thousand yards or so...... sneaked to 352 yds. The contours of the mountain made it as close as we could get.

We sat down and got him set up..... sitting on the side of the mountain, knees in front, with bog pog extended as a rest......no rocks or trees on our side; only sage.

Lasered the the rocks and bushes on the other side of the canyon.... 352 yards....and told him to expect the bullet to hit about 2 inches below his point of aim.

When the antlers reappeared..... BANG. Heart shot.

Took us 20 minutes to get there AND AN HOUR FIND him (he shot before I got a good reference and he's too young to realize how important that can be (he knows now)..... BIG SMILES WHEN WE FOUND IT.... wish I could run uphill that fast :)

(For those that care: 29 1/2" wide by 22 1/2" tall)

16833img0266.jpg

90847img0272.jpg

16167img0267.jpg

12416img0275.jpg

71815img0265.jpg

Within the shadows, go quietly.

We HURRIED LIKE CRAZY..... to finish as the first few flakes were falling.

Got him down to the trail as it was starting...and rode the 4-wheelers back to camp in a snow storm. ......took the pic, because he looked funny.

Be honest, who was more excited? This is what its all about!!!

"The only thing that stops a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun"

What a Buck!!!! Congrats to you and your son. That Buck has the Look i am wanting to find. Thanks for posting.

What a stud! Congrats to you both. Colorado? Wyoming?

Cancer doesn't discriminate...don't take your good health for granted because it can be gone in a heartbeat. Please go back and read the last line. This time really understand what it says.

That's an awesome deer. Dont get chances at bucks that big too regularly. Good job on your son capitalizing on the opportunity. But now he's spoiled! ;-) Congrats!

Just saw on the other thread that you are not mounting your sons buck. I believe this is a big mistake and in the future you will regret it. That is a great buck. It is your decision though.

Great buck here cannot wait to go hunt with my son he turns 8 this year. Lucky for me Idaho let's them hunt at 10 now instead of 12 when I was a kid. I love Idaho deer hunting it's in my blood and now your kid has it to. So awesome! Congratulation on a whopper.

The best hunts are with your son, my son and I have been hunting together since he was old enough for me to put in a back pack and carry him.
He is now 39 and we look forward to every year together all of my friends are jealous of our relationship
Stay close to him and great job great buck one I am sure he will never forget

James' 'first hunt' was 2 1/2 (although he mostly helped me 'watch' his mom). He went on a true Idaho llama-packin trip when he was 3 1/2 and has been out every since.
You're right......about hunting with your kids
(Older sisters were also fun...but he is a bit more intense...just like dad :) ).

Grant and James congratulations. Man Idaho can produce some great bucks with just a little age!

Your boy is growing up to be quite the hunter (like dad). I sent you a PM Grant.

That is a perfect example of a typical mule deer. What a trophy! Congrats, sounds like memories that will last a lifetime.

LAST EDITED ON Oct-28-16 AT 04:51PM (MST)[p]Thanks. He IS thrilled..... enjoyed 'celebrity status' during school this week, too.
(Even teachers)

Congratulations James! That's a big buck!. What a moment in his life he'll never forget.

Brian Latturner
MonsterMuleys.com
LIKE MonsterMuleys.com
on Facebook!

Super high five to you and your son! I absolutely love seeing big smiles and big bucks. Too many pics out there with guys "looking sad" holding trophy bucks. I can only hope to put my son on a buck that big in his future! Again, congrats and thanks for sharing. I know that I enjoy his successes far more than my own.

That's just way cool!
Huge congratulations to you and your son.

Speaking of intense, my daughter were way more intense hunters than most boys. They're all grown now and still very intense hunters but now their husbands have to deal with them. ha

Zeke

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom