Son's First Buck

Denny

85854dalton5x5.jpg

39629daltonpackout.jpg

Went to Colorado on a self guided trip with my son. We had a great trip and he was able to harvest this 26" 5x5 mule deer with a muzzleloader on the 4th day. We spotted him through the glass and he did a great job getting to 60 yds and dropped him in his tracks.
A couple of my son's acquaintances had asked him what it scored? It is at the Taxidermy so I have no measurements other than the outside spread. Any guesses on what class it might fall in? 160"? 170"? It does not matter to us but for some it helps describe how big he is. If any one wants to make a guess that would be cool. Otherwise I just wanted to share the joy of my son who hunted all day every day really hard on his 3rd buck tag (2 in AZ) and now in Colorado and finally sealed the deal. Thanks guys.

Congratulations to your Son and You a Great Hunt you both will always remember. Everyone wants a good scoring buck but for his first buck does it matter
My first buck 59 years ago was a 6 inch wide Black Tail Forki

I have never shot anything close to even think about scoring so I didn't know much about it. I am more of a meat hunter, feed my family of 6, kinda guy. After doing some research I see kinda what it takes to score. Like you said it makes no difference to us. We just knew he was big (especially for us) when he shot him. My first buck was a small yearling back in Wisconsin 33 years ago.

85854dalton5x5.jpg

39629daltonpackout.jpg

Went to Colorado on a self guided trip with my son. We had a great trip and he was able to harvest this 26" 5x5 mule deer with a muzzleloader on the 4th day. We spotted him through the glass and he did a great job getting to 60 yds and dropped him in his tracks.
A couple of my son's acquaintances had asked him what it scored? It is at the Taxidermy so I have no measurements other than the outside spread. Any guesses on what class it might fall in? 160"? 170"? It does not matter to us but for some it helps describe how big he is. If any one wants to make a guess that would be cool. Otherwise I just wanted to share the joy of my son who hunted all day every day really hard on his 3rd buck tag (2 in AZ) and now in Colorado and finally sealed the deal. Thanks guys.
I would say 165+ for sure

Great muzzy buck. I’d say he’s a low 160’s type buck. Either way he’s a shooter in my book too.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom