South dakota 2021

Bookhead

Very Active Member
Was wondering if anyone on here hunted south dakota this year and how the deer numbers were. Did EHD hit the deer there as hard as surrounding states or were numbers pretty normal compared to most years?

I didn't but I had a couple buddies who did.
I don't know how many deer they saw in comparison to other years so I cannot help.
They did kill a couple real toads with their bows....again!

Zeke

EHD pounded South Central SD. We found several dead, and numbers were the worst we have seen since the last time EHD went through that country 5-6 years ago. It seems just when it's going to get good EHD breaks out. To Zekes point there were a few bucks, but the next few years I'm afraid will be bleak.

We hunt near South Dakota in north east Wyoming. It was really bad. Dead deer everywhere. I would estimate 75-85% loss, and many locals we talked to thought it was greater than that. We heard that across the border in South Dakota was similar.

Dang not what I wanted to hear at all ! I too have enough points to draw west river and northeast Wyoming is my old stompin ground ! I’ve heard bits and pieces about this but from family out there , guess I was hoping they were wrong.......

I drew west river any deer and my buddy drew black hills whitetail. I probably averaged 15-20 deer seen a day. 95% were whitetails. Killed a 2.5 year old 8 point on day 5.

Anyone know where to find draw odds reports for SD? I scanned the SD GF&P website but didn't see it. There were various reports, but not based on preference points.

For some reason, I was thinking it only took a few, as in 2-3, to draw.

Thanks.

Anyone know where to find draw odds reports for SD? I scanned the SD GF&P website but didn't see it. There were various reports, but not based on preference points.

For some reason, I was thinking it only took a few, as in 2-3, to draw.

Thanks.
Draw odds are on there you just gotta look around under deer hunting. Depends on the area some areas are 0 lookins others are a bunch just like any state

We hunted South Dakota on west side of state and EhD was pretty bad. Came across quite a few dead deer, also drought had a bad blue tongue outbreak. My brothers friend shot a deer that tested positive for it. It’s definitely there but still had good hunt.

I'm having a hard time finding the Whitetail only option in Black Hills on SD GFW website. Can anyone point me in the right directions. I understand the Any Deer option takes quite a few points. I have 0, so no chance there, but I'm more interested in WT and simply trying to figure out how to get started so I can hunt there some day.

PS Sucks about the EHD. Had it here in N ID as well this year. I've killed a few 8pt WT but looking for way to get into some Nov hunts and try and get something worth a taxidermy bill.

I'm having a hard time finding the Whitetail only option in Black Hills on SD GFW website. Can anyone point me in the right directions. I understand the Any Deer option takes quite a few points. I have 0, so no chance there, but I'm more interested in WT and simply trying to figure out how to get started so I can hunt there some day.

PS Sucks about the EHD. Had it here in N ID as well this year. I've killed a few 8pt WT but looking for way to get into some Nov hunts and try and get something worth a taxidermy bill.
Last I looked the wt only option takes 3 or kore points too I don't remeber their hunt codes as to what type is what for deer species its not very clear on their website I think the typ 11 is whitetail only though

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Whitetail Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Whitetail Pros Guide Service

Southern Iowa and Missouri Private Land Whitetail Hunts. Rifle, Archery, Muzzleloader.

Antler Creek Whitetails

Archery hunt in Northeast Kansas. Rut and pre-rut, hunting from treestands and blinds.

Back
Top Bottom