South Dakota Pheasant trip

Gator

Long Time Member
We(6 guys) are going up for the pheasant hunt this year on the 7th of Nov and coming back on the 12th. Should be a good year around our area other area's are down a bit.Hope a few of ya can make it.
But any day hunting is a good day.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".
>[Font][Font color = "green"]Life member of
>the MM green signature club.[font/]

I'm having shoulder surgery on the 28th of this month, hopefully I can get healthy in time for our California chukar hunt! Send me some pics from South Dakota!

Wish we could make it... We will catch up to you guys one of these years!

4b1db2ac644136c4.jpg

A spot is always open for you and your family and a few of your friends.

get well Shummy you will need it. LOL

We make that trip every year. Got to be one of funnest hunts there is. We decided not to make it this year because the bird numbers are way down. The took away alot of the CRP land so the birds had no way to hide and lay eggs. It was some crazy number like 48% down from last year or so.
Good luck! Have fun

Some area's are down DUE to a really hard winter and a really wet spring it really does come down which side of the county you hunt. Was talking to my brother today and he was telling me their will be some pheasants that will only be half grown by the opener he seeing some half grown bird that you can tell if they are hens or roosters, He also said they are getting alot of corn and beans out now.The birds are really on the move, They are seeing alot more pheasants then they thought they had.
He said you are now starting to see more and more pheasants along the roads.
This would be the year to pull a duck hunt, Tons of ducks around.

Talked to another brother this mornig and He has very few pheasants around his place ,But he just combined a field of corn 4 miles away and saw agood number of bird in it, He also said that he saw some young birds about the size of a quail so there is going to be some small ones this year. He thinks it down about 40% from last year, and you best have dogs to do any good because they will be scattered bunches, The sloughes and creekbottom are starting to get alot of pheasants in them because of corn and beans are getting taken out right now.
The farther North you go the worse it gets(to much rain this last spring) the southern part of the state has the better hatch rate this year. Good luck to all that are headed back this year, I believe their is 9 guys going back and we are taking 5 dogs,7 guys are driving ( 2 trucks) and 2 are flying back.

I just spent the last 5 days pheasant hunting in Idaho, lots and I mean lots of very young birds there too.

No estas en mexico ahora, entonces escoja tu basura
chancho sucio.

Wood
A large group (20 hunters max) can and will put pheasants in the air, But it hard to get everyone involved in the walking and blocking deal.This year I think you would need to have dogs to helps you hunt better to do good,Pheasants Numbers are down and so is the hunters numbers.

My groups has been cut down to 5 guys and 3 dogs now, funny how that works some years.
Got back from hunting NM for deer last night, I think it got me ready for the SD trip in a couple of weeks. LOL

I think so, 4 guys are hauling ass out on Sat Nov 5th. 4 hunters 4 dogs,one truck(crewcab) and small enclosed trailer(dogs and gear). I'm flying out on Monday the 7th with a buddy and we all will hunting Tue 8th-Sat 12th then coming back. Looks like the weather will be good.
Like said before you are always welcome Buddy.

We had a good hunt, It was a down year in bird numbers,But we still found enough to keep us happy. We hit a few really good spots that held a descent number of birds, we hit some old farms that had just a few birds, It was a good hunt for my Young GSP (just over a year old) He did some outstanding work,Couldn't be happier about him. Had some good dog work. Had one day that was really Bad(High Winds 40+) If you hit a bird he would fall a few hundred yds away and start running we lost some birds that day. Will be training the dog to trail better for next year. He caught a bird that was wounded by someone else from the day before, watching that happen was pretty cool.
We had 6 guys and killed 54 birds in 4 days. We had a group of guys that drove back and took all the dogs and guns, they had a rough trip over the rockies with black ice and snow, They ended coming back the southern route because of the huge snow storm in the Wyo and Colo areas.Saw the largest WT I have ever seen in the wild, What a stud, He was well over 200.
Lots of geese and ducks are showing up daily, The guys who drew a waterfowl licenses are in for a treat in the next few weeks, Over 90% of the crops was combined, so the birds are starting to bunch up some.I will post up some pictures(didn't take many)Later. All you guys are welcome to come on back with us next year.

The plane ride back was the worse, I have ever be on 5-6 ft drops and rises bouncing from side to side everyone had the throwup bag in their hands, Hell I was wishing it would crash just for some relief, was sick for a day after we landed.

Sounds like a great time, except the plane ride. I'd rather risk black ice than ride in some plane getting tossed around like a yo-yo. Car crashes don't always kill you.

Good news on the pup. If you want to put that pup on some chukar, just let me know. This year is the year. I never thought I'd say this but it's almost too easy this year.

And the quail hatch was outstanding too. Great for younger dogs in my opion. There are times after the initial covey rise that you get a dozen or more points off of a covey.

LAST EDITED ON Nov-15-11 AT 07:59AM (MST)[p]I Live in Hesperia Ca, We are having one of the finest Chukar year in last 20 years, Now I just have to get time to get off and hunt them.

You guys are killing me! Laying here with a bad wing is getting old. A friend called me yesterday and invited me out to chase some chukars, and it about made me cry.

SD got hit with 3" of snow 2 days ago and the nephews and nieces have been getting the job done on WT bucks.They have taken a good Muley(brother-in-law) and a couple of good WT so far.

E-mail sent.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom