South Pequops Wilderness Area

Coolio17

Anyone accessed this wilderness area before?

It’s a wilderness area so I am familiar with what that entails as far as once you get there.

It’s on my radar to check out this summer and my main issue is making sure I can access it. There looks to be a main road from the north, but it goes through private in several spots (Nevada Gold Mine).

I was actually curious about this too as I have an early rifle buck tag and was looking at non Ruby areas to hunt. I'm guessing the Nevada Gold Mine route from I-80 is the easiest but no idea if it's blocked. I know some people here have hunted it.

I was actually curious about this too as I have an early rifle buck tag and was looking at non Ruby areas to hunt. I'm guessing the Nevada Gold Mine route from I-80 is the easiest but no idea if it's blocked. I know some people here have hunted it.
I explored that hunt last year because of the better drawing odds. I researched “non-ruby” areas, but every post I read seemed to have someone say that the Rubies definitely had by far the most concentration. I read in one post that there are other areas of 101-109 that contain pockets of deer, but they still received lots of pressure.

If I had a tag for that deer hunt I probably would just attempt to hike a good distance from the roads in the rubies. I’ve never really hunted under much pressure (hence why I am considering a wilderness area) but there was one hunt I did four times where there was pressure due to a limited amount of space:

If I got there closest to opening day the animals would all be in a certain location (definitely easier to access)

If I couldn’t get there close to opening day, the animals would always be moved to different locations (not impossible to get to, but definitely harder to find and more work to get to)

Yeah, I might scout some areas in the Rubies from one of the few access points on the west side. It's a shame the gov't can't make a deal with land owners to make more access points. There's areas where I might have to "trespass" on a corner, but I figure if you're not actually hunting and there's no signage then it's fine. I don't get how people hunt the East Humbolts. On the map that entire range is a mosaic of huge chunks of private way up on the highest peaks.

Yeah, I might scout some areas in the Rubies from one of the few access points on the west side. It's a shame the gov't can't make a deal with land owners to make more access points. There's areas where I might have to "trespass" on a corner, but I figure if you're not actually hunting and there's no signage then it's fine. I don't get how people hunt the East Humbolts. On the map that entire range is a mosaic of huge chunks of private way up on the highest peaks.
A guy I work with who does all kinds of exploring (not hunting though) advised me to just pass through respectfully unless it’s gated or signed (then he said stay out/off)

I haven’t been in NV very long but with where I’ve applied for deer (unsuccessfully) I’ve realized that I’m going to have put in hard work on the public land available. If someone offered me private access that was reasonable I would accept it.

I don’t mind hard work. All my best stories are the kind where I pushed myself past my limits (even unsuccessful trips). I don’t really remember the trips where I caught the first night and went home in the morning.

It's not a wilderness area per se. It is a private entity called... the Pequop Conservancy. It recently sold to another giant, multifaceted corporation called the Ruby IVFR Holdings LLC in Jan of 2022. When the PC had it, you could apply for trespass permission. No vehicles. Now, I am not sure.

It's not a wilderness area per se. It is a private entity called... the Pequop Conservancy. It recently sold to another giant, multifaceted corporation called the Ruby IVFR Holdings LLC in Jan of 2022. When the PC had it, you could apply for trespass permission. No vehicles. Now, I am not sure.
Thanks for the info.

I think you might be talking about two different things - the North Pequops has a lot of private land held by IVFR, and there is a wilderness study area in the south end of the Pequops. Wilderness study is slightly different than wilderness in that you can drive on established roads. You won't be able to get through the private land at the Oasis exit, but you can get to the south Pequops using either the Shafter exit, or by going south from Wells on Highway 93 and then over.

Nevada Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Big Bucks & Bulls Timberline Outfitters Guide Service

Customized and high quality eastern Nevada trophy hunts for mule deer, elk and antelope.

Western Wildlife Adventures

We offer some excellent mule deer and elk hunts in northeast Nevada.

Currant Creek Outfitters

Nevada, big bucks and big bulls! We hunt for quality not quantity.

Nevada Outfitters & Guides Association

Find guides and outfitters for mule deer, elk, sheep, chuckar, fishing, & more!

SilverGrand Outfitters

Successfully guiding in Nevada for many years. Mule deer, elk, antelope and bighorn sheep hunts.

Hidden Lake Outfitters

Specializing in trophy mule deer hunts along with elk, mountain goat, antelope and mountain lion.

G&J Outdoors

Full time outfitter with 20+ years hunting mule deer, sheep, elk, antelope, lion and chukar.

Mountain Man Outfitters

Offering world class mule deer hunts in some of the most productive units in Nevada.

Nevada High Desert Outfitters

Rocky mountain goats, desert, rocky and california bighorn, mule deer, antelope and elk hunts.

Urge 2 Hunt

If you want an unguided hunt but can't draw your tags, you need to call us.

White River Guide Service

50 years of guiding experience! Mule deer, elk, sheep and cougar.

Back
Top Bottom