South slope/diamond mtn help

C

cvivian

I drew a non-res archery buck tag for this unit and I'm just starting to do some research on the unit. I don't know much about it and looking for some general information on areas to check out, terrain, access, good contacts in the area, etc. Thanks in advance

Can't be a ton of help, but can say that there is ton of private land up there. We hunt the Red Cloud area and it's wide open, but your buck options are pretty skinny.

TRH

That's not too encouraging. Looking at a map though, it looks like the unit is at least 50% public.

I have scouted the area on top during the rifle season and during the archery season. There are definately more deer up there during the later rifle season. The first and last couple of hours of the day are gonna be your best time (probably only time) to see a buck. Expect warm temps. There is some water at the bottom, you might want to sit on a water hole at first/last light. Good luck with your hunt.

like the others have said there is a lot of private land, but there is still plenty of public land that is easy to access. I have had a rifle deer tag there and my family has drawn about 10 deer and elk tags out there, and i actually drew an archery elk tag out there. There are plenty of 150+ bucks out there, and the best time to see them is actually during the archery season when they aren't spooked. E-mail me and i can give you more information. [email protected] i can also point you to a download of a map for the area that shows public and private land.

Thanks for the info, I'll definitely follow up with you by e-mail. From the info I've gather ed so far, seems like a good map/GPS is essential and top end buck is probably 170, which I'd be more than happy to take with stick and string. I plan on going on the opener and hunting the following week. thanks again

the best map is put out by UINTAH county. call them and ask for a DIAMOND MTN map, pay them the 15 bucks or so and you have the most current and up to date map out their, very precise and readable...... no need to buy the BLM land status map or any other.....

http://www.co.uintah.ut.us/gis/gis.php

here is the link to the the map that bagem and Treed were talking about. you can click on the link (right side of page) and download if you want or call them and have them mail you a copy. They raised their prices to $25. Still very worth it. You should see plenty of deer. They like to "hide" in the tall sagebrush. I would come a few days before the hunt to scout/pattern a few bucks and try to fill your tag the first day or two.

Looks like a good map, I'm a little confused on the colors of the landownership, mainly the light tan colored land down toward the bottom of the map, is that all BLM? I'd like to get out there a little early, don't know if it will happen or not, looking forward to the trip for sure.

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom