South Slope,Yellowstone,moose??

goofyelk

Very Active Member
I haven't been in this unit for 5 or 6 year now, so I thought I would see if
any of you guys are seeing any good moose this winter?

Anything north of Roosevelt in the Whiterocks or Uinta river worth chasing?
I'm going to be hunting with my bow and have enough points I should draw.
A 45"- 48" bull would work just fine...

Or on the west side of the unit, by Hwy 150, Murdock Basin, Duchesne river,
or upper Provo river. I know in 09 there were a couple of good ones harvested
there. I ask earlier about East canyon, But I think there is just too much
private land there to deal with.

4aec49a65c565954.jpg

I havent seen a ok bull for a while now, nothing I would put my once in a lifetime tag on. I havent even seen anything in the back country.

4b1db2ac644136c4.jpg

+1 justr, I have not seen one out there for a long time. I wouldn't waste my tag.

I'll tell you who it was . . . it was that D@MN Sasquatch!

I've had a ton of feed back on UWN with posts,PM's...
They agree for the most part , moose numbers are down.

Several hunters that have had tag responded, In general,
the wilderness ares of the unit held the least moose..

Some going empty,,and some killing real good ones.
I know of one that came off the unit that went 56"..

Thanks for the help, I do think if I draw the tag I
have narrowed the area I will scout and hunt to a verily
small section .. And not even look in the wilderness part.

4aec49a65c565954.jpg

If you are looking for a 45 inch plus bull, with any paddles at all, you are setting yourself up for disappointment big time. LOTS of guys covering the whole unit the past couple of years on horses and everything else have been settling for little 3 year olds on the last week. You never know I guess, but you have your work cut out for you. Good luck.

I have to dis agree with the majority here. I seen some smoker bulls in the last few years. They were on the wilderness side though. I have horses and spend a fair amount of time back in the uintahs/ south slope. I have also picked up some decent shed horns the last couple years. I think you could find a worthy bull to punch your tag on. Not saying it will be a cake walk but definetley obtainable. This winter I have not seen many moose in any of the drainages but I have also not seen quite this much snow either. I think they might be pushed all over in the lower counry. Good Luck

Here's the thing,
The moose quality seems to be down EVERYWERE.
And I'm sure the hell not going to burn 15 points on a cwmu.

I spend a ton of time on the Wasatch every year, I'm definitely
not seeing the bulls there I was 3-5 years ago...
Plus I'm out a few more years before drawing there.

Looks like I could wait and draw Kamas in 2 years,,BUT gawd,
I've got a gold tip arrow wanting moose blood on it now..

4aec49a65c565954.jpg

i would wate a year or 2 i have put in for 15 years on this unit .i am not going to waste my points on what i seen last year. was in this unit 60 days last year.on horses and foot.saw few moose extreamly little. from years past.

Moose numbers and quality seem to be down all across UT. I talked to a friend that has been doing some research and they are finding some serious problems with disease and mineral deficiencies in UT moose. Not good news if you are sitting on a bunch of moose points.

Dax

There is no such thing as a sure thing in trophy mule deer hunting.

For the past 20 years plus Ive spent in good portion of the wasatch I'd have to put the current moose population aboout 25% of it's former size. Mainly on the eastern side of the heber valley. I've also seen a lot of sick unhealthy moose. There's definitely something going on.

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom