Southeast CO later rifle mule deer hunt!

txhunter58

Long Time Member
Heading up to Southeast Colorado above the panhandle of Oklahoma to mule deer hunt the first of Dec. I know where we are hunting (public land) but just curious if they will still be rutting then? Do you use scents? Anyone ever rattled? Any other hunting tips/tactics for deer in that area during the late season?

txhunter58

venor, ergo sum (I hunt, therefore I am)

LAST EDITED ON Nov-18-19 AT 01:49PM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Nov-18-19 AT 01:45?PM (MST)

LAST EDITED ON Nov-18-19 AT 01:44?PM (MST)

Hunted the area. Had success last weekend with a bow. What unit are you hunting?
510120191117081220.jpg

LAST EDITED ON Nov-20-19 AT 05:54AM (MST)[p]Very nice buck! Had they starting rutting over there yet?

txhunter58

I have not been to that area in December but I live 150 miles NW of there and the muley bucks are definitely rutting in December. The dominant bucks are still with their harems or looking for receptive does.

As for tactics, I'd spend a lot of time covering ground and just locating deer. Find the does and the bucks should be around. I would take your hunt dates over the first 143 hunt dates in late Oct-early Nov.

I believe they are getting ready to rut. There were lots of does together with no bucks. I saw two bucks with a few does saturday night. The buck I shot was heading to water. By next week it should be a big party.

Hey tx good luck! Sounds like a fun hunt.

Bluehair
Splitting my time time between the winter and summer range......
May you live long enough to cash in those preference points. Amen

A few pictures of my successful Colorado hunt! Thx for the help guys! I have killed bucks with more impressive antlers, but this is by far the biggest buck body wise I have ever killed. He had to weigh over 300 on the hoof. My friend that helped me is 265 and he dwarfed him. Story later, but suffice it to say I found a private bit of ground to hunt on and that paid off!

And no funny comments about my hat! I lost my orange baseball type orange hat and had to use a stocking hat over my wide brim hat. Suffice it to say we are calling this the "Cat in the hat" Buck! LOL

txhunter58

LAST EDITED ON Dec-13-19 AT 02:54PM (MST)[p]https://www.monstermuleys.info/photos/user_photos_2019/3211coloradobuck1.jpeg

txhunter58

LAST EDITED ON Dec-14-19 AT 08:38AM (MST)[p]

Hmm. I have posted pics here before with no trouble. And it seems to upload but then doesn't show on the post. Any ideas?

LAST EDITED ON Dec-14-19 AT 06:46PM (MST)[p]I'll bet they are too big. Sometimes they upload but dont show up. Or the file type may be wrong. I can't get png's (?) to show up even though they upload.

Bluehair

88881img0228.jpg

Bluehair

And the hat. Nice ;-)
28604img0230.jpg

Bluehair

LAST EDITED ON Dec-14-19 AT 07:12PM (MST)[p]

Thanks Bluehair!

And now you know why we named him the "cat in the hat "buck! LOL

He was a HOSS of a buck. Huge body. Lucky we were able to drive close to where he fell.

I also like his antlers even though they are unconventional. I call them unsymmetrically symmetrical!

As far as the story, I arrived in Colorado in Dec 4th and started hunting that afternoon. Hunted pretty hard until the morning of the 8th when I got a text from my buddy, who only had an antelope tag. "Found you a good buck" He was hunting a completely different area for antelope, but was glassing the sides of a mesa too.

Hiked back to my truck and drove about 7 miles to where he was. He had located him with his binocs from about a 1/2 mile away. But the height of his antlers told me all I needed to know, I wanted him! He was on the side of a small mesa and due to lack of cover and the wind, the only approach to him was by hiking about a 1/2 mile and climbing up the mesa on the opposite side, walking across and then relocating him from above. 99% of the time for me, that would not have worked out in the end, but this was the 1% where everything clicked. When I found him from above I had to wait him out as he was behind a tree, until he got up to stretch and rake a tree. Then one shot from my favorite rifle (Model 70 Winchester 270) and some federal premium 130gr all copper ammo put him down.

As a side note, I told myself all during the hour long stalk: "Aim low". I have seen guys overshoot an animal because of the severe down angle. As a result, from 130 yards, I put the crosshairs at the bottom of his foreleg and the shot was perfect!

One last sidenote. I have heard hunting stories many times where someone shoots and the animal goes down like a ton of bricks and when the hunters go to recover him, he gets up and runs off. That was NOT going to happen to me. When I shot, he stumbled and fell behind a tree and I couldn't see him, so I waited 15 minutes with my rifle at the ready before I began the climb down the mesa. As it turned out, he was dead when he hit the ground, but I would do the same thing again!

So a true "spot and stalk" western style hunt that worked out. The first one of that kind for me! It was also my first every rut hunt. We had seen 4 other deer bedded with him, but when I shot, 8 does got up. He had himself a harem!

Very satisfying hunt!

txhunter58

Attaboy, David! If I remember correctly, it's been quite some time since you've posted a big muley buck since your high country buck many moons ago. Congrats to you!!!

LAST EDITED ON Dec-17-19 AT 06:46AM (MST)[p]

Thanks guys! And yes it has been a long time since I have gone on a mule deer hunt. In fact, I used 6 points to get this tag. Worth all of them. I hunt elk every year, but deer every once in a while. This one was surely worth it!

7301614d81aef7cc34afdb06f40474612e7cb.jpeg

This is the picture that got me hot to apply in that area. This picture was taken last year about 200 yards from where we camped.

15279a6d1cbf2c0c74b7b93d5b045ce77caec.jpeg

txhunter58

Thanks for the story. I've always wanted to deer hunt that area, being that its a relatively short drive from Oklahoma. But, I've probably got too many points to use on this unit. I've thought about entering my boys into the draw now that they're getting close on points. You mentioned this deer was shot on private ground. How tough was the public ground hunting? Was there a lot of hunting pressure in the better deer spots? I hunted antelope in the grasslands a few years ago and it was a literal zoo. Congrats on a successful hunt.

Only saw 1 other deer hunter on public. And the picture of the buck above was on public. Not many tags for the area I hunted.

txhunter58

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom