Southern RAC

coyoteslayer

Did anyone attend last night that would like to recap the meeting? I am mostly wondering about permit recommendations. Did they just approve what was recommended, or did they change some of the recommendations. Thank you
Also, would be interested how other regional rac meetings went.

I watched them vote to not increase deer tags on a couple units, Garth Carter call out DWR deer counts, and They voted to raise LE Bull tags on the Beaver. There is one guy on that RAC that does all the questioning, his constituents he is working for want all the Southern units cut for Deer tags. That is my summary.

My favorite was the old boy mad about the “thousands” of pronghorn that got boxed up off the Parker and shipped to the desert by the DWR, eating the grass on his private property, then he was mad about the elk eating the grass on the public land on top of the mountain.

All take and no give…

Here We Go again for The Billionth Time!

Yes!

Lions Eat Deer!

Always Have Always!

And Always Will!

But We Have A Bigger Predator Than Lions!

First Part of what Garth Carter Said Was GOSPEL!

Lions may not be the biggest reason but they are definitely a big reason.

Yes!

Lions Eat Deer!

Always Have Always!

And Always Will!

It is certainly not elkassassin :ROFLMAO:

Look at the divisions data - lion predation is really bad on some units with huge impacts (South Manti I believe was one they called out specifically) and not as bad on others, but it is absolutely a big factor in deer survival...or lack thereof!

I think it has been established that there are less deer in Utah, but I do not think the formula used by dwr really shows just how bad it is. They did say 90 percent of doe had fawns so we should see lots of little ones running around this summer. It will be interesting to see if that holds true.

Yes!

Lions Eat Deer!

Always Have Always!

And Always Will!

Bess
You should look at the deer herd numbers.
The Central Manti has had an all-out slaughter on the lions over the last two years at last count that know was 84 lions. The deer numbers went up over 2000 according to the numbers the DWR is using
The Central Nebo they increased lion permit numbers, one individual landowner was offering $1000 bounty on a dead lion. The deer numbers went up over 1000 DWR numbers.

Kill predators, fence highways, improve habitat (water and feed) and control elk numbers and you will see deer numbers improve.
They did all that on the Central Manti and I belive their is some succes.
That's my Hell-Right.

Well Notdon!

I've Never Said Lions Don't Eat Deer!

They've Been Hammering On Lions in The Book Cliffs Forever Now!

Have The Deer Numbers Went Up?

Maybe You & Ridge Could Talk With The DWR On that & Let Them Baffle You With Their BS if They Are Still Saying It's Lions Decimating The Herd!

I Won't Argue With You on The Numbers You Posted in Them Units!

But Think About It!

We Don't Need To Raise Numbers By a Thousand!

We Need To Raise Deer Numbers By 10's of Thousands!

Coyotes Do Way More Damage Than Than All The Other Predators Stacked in One Big Pile With The Exception of Man,I Woulda Used another Word besides Man but It's Not PC around here anymore!

I'm Gonna Load Ole Ridge Up one Of These Days & We're Gonna Count Lion Tracks & Lion Kills!

Then I'll Show Him In 20 Minutes The Numbers of Roadkills Versus Lion Kills/Lion Tracks in Our Local Area here!

Yes!

Lions Eat Deer!

But It's only one of the Factors on HELL-RIGHT!

When You Guys Accept The Fact That it's 50+ Reasons and Not Just One or Two let me know will You?

You're right Elkass that coyotes have a huge impact in some units in the state, but Lions are right there with them, and in some cases, have a greater impact on deer survival. Here is some actual data from the BYU study (https://utahwildlife.shinyapps.io/ShinyApp/):

1650029766208.png

I believe coyotes are worse than people give credit for. We watched a pack of 5 dogs chase and catch two fawns on the OC last fall while we were deer hunting. Too far to do something about it in time. I felt so bad.

One mile from my house,
Every morning lay at least 5 FING dead deer on the highway
This has been happening for the last 15 years,I have voiced my concerns to UDOT DWR,
Not one damm change in signage along the highway, or anything has been done about this.

Not a lion problem cars and Oil Tankers!!!!

b

Again - look at the data I posted above. All of these variables (lions, coyotes, road kill, etc.) have impact, some more than others depending on the area/unit. Knowing what is killing our deer is a huge step in the right direction to being able to address the issues specific to each unit.

I am really encouraged by the fact that the UDWR is able to access and use this data - Now let's get more of the Expo and Conservation tag dollars directly allocated to addressing these issues!! (y)

You Must Live in the Basin,bucks?

One mile from my house,
Every morning lay at least 5 FING dead deer on the highway
This has been happening for the last 15 years,I have voiced my concerns to UDOT DWR,
Not one damm change in signage along the highway, or anything has been done about this.

Not a lion problem cars and Oil Tankers!!!!

b

Then I'll Show Him In 20 Minutes The Numbers of Roadkills Versus Lion Kills/Lion Tracks in Our Local Area here! This is spot on more deer die on the roads then lion kill

JUDAS!

F'N!

PRIEST!

PEOPLE!

Yes!

Look at that F'N Chart That Isn't Accurate!

South Slope Shows ABSO-F'N-LUTELY No F'N RoadKill!

If Some/Alot Of Them Deer Getting SLAUGHTED By Vehicles on HiWay 40 Ain't South Slope Deer I'll Kiss Your Ass!

GEEZUS People!

WAKE TF Up!

From the high ground of sarcastic vision with tongue in cheek, I suggest everyone read the chart, it says "fawn" cause of death, not total or doe/buck cause of death - could be possible there is little or no fawn mortality due to road kill (not likely) and/or could be included in "other". Of course, we could haggle over what is a "fawn", or what is "road kill", or what is "other", or is the moon made of cheese, and so on.

According to the DWR, that chart represents 20 collard animals per unit. They are getting all that data from 20 collard animals in each unit, and using their model to represent the entire herds. Not super accurate IMO, but it's something to read. Unless there is a collar on an animal it seems to go unrepresented in the data. We all have seen animals dead somewhere that died somehow, that don't get counted by the biologists.

I'm probably wrong but it was my impression that it includes all deer that have been collared. There are several units with many more than 20 collared deer providing information.

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom