Sportsman's Elk Tag Filled

slamdunk

Lemon boys got it done
Screenshot_20201107-174848_Instagram.jpg
Screenshot_20201107-174910_Instagram.jpg

High fenced game farm
I'd change the title nothing sporting about
Wounding 1,shooting a second one or killing it off a game farm out of what amounts to a cage and they are defineately not sportsman
It's definitely not a ranch bull......several people have been watching and hunting this bull all summer and fall.

I could care less about score. That bull is awesome and unique . Big 6x6's are a dime a dozen to harvest with a sportsmans tag.

So DOZ, would rather shoot a 350- 370 straight 6? Not very often bulls offer the amount of different antler growth that guy yields.

I agree with Ridge, that bull is a rarely seen animal, let alone harvested.

These threads should be titled “The usual suspects”

So predictable how they all go:

Wow what an animal!
Farm animal?
Outfitter bashing
Rich person bashing
I’d rather have killed a ......

Pull up any similar thread and “the usual suspects” comments will all be there plus a few more.

Have at it boys

LOL!

Is that thing a Melk??

Or a Caribelk??

Or a Reindelk??

regardless, I’d shoot it on a general season tag!!

Nice, whatever it is!

Giant bull! Might not be everyones ideal bull, but it’s certainly unique. Reading the comments about it being a farm raised bull reminds me that idiots have computers too...

Haven’t seen any antelope island bucks yet, heard there was some drama last year on the island but haven’t heard exactly what happened

Well DBG!

Sorry!

I Mighta LOW-BALLED the Score?

I said 420"!

But I'm Hearing 430"?
Yeah he is a big bull, ugly but big.

I would take a 370 6x6 over that bull......

at least for the money spent, where as I don’t have That kind of money nor hundreds of people scouting for me.

Yea I’m sure your life of the party wherever you’re from, most in the room would probably be thinking who invited the know it all, I’ve noticed this forum has a couple, you and a dude from Texas

Yea I’m sure your life of the party wherever you’re from, most in the room would probably be thinking who invited the know it all, I’ve noticed this forum has a couple, you and a dude from Texas
I didn’t know slammy was from Texas.

These threads should be titled “The usual suspects”

So predictable how they all go:

Wow what an animal!
Farm animal?
Outfitter bashing
Rich person bashing
I’d rather have killed a ......

Pull up any similar thread and “the usual suspects” comments will all be there plus a few more.

Have at it boys
So true. Lots of jealous people on here. That's a great bull! Congrats to the hunter.

hwy

I have been on a handful of hunt that have bulls over 370 including one of my own.

I am not jealous I just think elk are pretty and prefer typical elk over freaks.

with that said, I would shoot this bull and be thrilled. But if I had a choice between a “ smaller typical” or that bull I would shoot the “smaller” bull.

Haven’t seen any antelope island bucks yet, heard there was some drama last year on the island but haven’t heard exactly what happened
Mossback put a picture online either yesterday or late last week of a buck they killed on the island, I think I saw it on IG.

Quote from Mossback FB:

"Some bucks just have IT!! What makes IT for some is their width, mass, length or score. Almost always it's the story and the hunt that puts the buck over the top. All the different scenarios and questions and worries leading up to a hunt are all but forgotten when you're standing over him saying... "WOW!" And whether you hunt 25 hunts a year or haven't hunted in 25 years we all have the same goal, to find a buck with IT!"

Had to laugh. How the conversation might go....

"So how did it go filling that AI tag?"

"Well, great story. Used Mossback to track the deer then I woke up in the morning and they took me to him. Easiest hunt of my life! Packout was not a problem at all as they did it all. Greatest hunt of my life!"

People want to buy tags and use outfitters, great. But don't feed me a load of **** about the "story and the hunt" when you use an outfitter on the Island. But I guess when you pay for these tags, why put in any effort right? If I had the money to spend, I'd buy a premium tag but I'd also put in the time to hunt the animal myself. I agree the hunt and the story make them great. I don't agree that hiring an outfitter (or having the time donated, whichever it is by the outfitter to get publicity) gives you some great story and hunt.

This bull is very unique, certainly. The unit is not your normal "Sportsman tag" unit, that's for sure.

Bessy, I heard the initial quick score was higher than what you mentioned. We'll find out eventually when it has a sign next to it at the Expo with the score on it, I guess.

" I don't agree that hiring an outfitter (or having the time donated, whichever it is by the outfitter to get publicity) gives you some great story and hunt."

I shot a wounded african lion in the mouth at less than five yards in the dark. It was with an outfitter. I gotta say it was a great story and hunt.

I almost died in a fall on my first Mountain goat hunt. Hellavu story and hunt. Oh yeah that was guided also. Guide probably saved my life.

Almost Froze to death spending the night on a mountain on my second goat hunt. Same outfit different guide.

Doz, every hunt is different. Every hunter is different. No two are the same. You might be missing out on a lot of adventure in this world if you are scared of booking with an outfitter.

Doz, every hunt is different. Every hunter is different. No two are the same. You might be missing out on a lot of adventure in this world if you are scared of booking with an outfitter.
[/QUOTE]

I could not agree more

I could not agree more
[/QUOTE]

I could see this statement being true on a “non canned” hunt. But this is a ridiculous statement otherwise.

mom another thread regarding the Wasatch elk unit someone said “it is easier to find a 360+ bull than a spike” I don’t recall who said it. But this comment is in line with the amount of ignorance as that comment was.

I could not agree more

I could see this statement being true on a “non canned” hunt. But this is a ridiculous statement otherwise.

mom another thread regarding the Wasatch elk unit someone said “it is easier to find a 360+ bull than a spike” I don’t recall who said it. But this comment is in line with the amount of ignorance as that comment was.
[/QUOTE]

@DB Lol....yes I am guilty of stating that on the Wasatch elk thread.
Although it may be far off for some, I never saw a single spike bull in 10 days of the LE muzzleloader bull hunt a month or so ago.....but saw numerous really good bulls.

As far as hunting with a guide goes, there is absolutely nothing wrong with hiring a guide at all, every experience is unique just as Tri stated.
Now if you are referring to Antelope Island.....personally I would NOT hire a guide.

Last edited:
" I don't agree that hiring an outfitter (or having the time donated, whichever it is by the outfitter to get publicity) gives you some great story and hunt."

I shot a wounded african lion in the mouth at less than five yards in the dark. It was with an outfitter. I gotta say it was a great story and hunt.

I almost died in a fall on my first Mountain goat hunt. Hellavu story and hunt. Oh yeah that was guided also. Guide probably saved my life.

Almost Froze to death spending the night on a mountain on my second goat hunt. Same outfit different guide.

And yet more thrilling testimonials for guided hunts. And again there is an outfitter reading this and wishing for the free advertising to end......:D

Dang that is a big bull. I think I would be pretty happy when I walked up on this after shooting it. It is quite entertaining to read all of these comments. Don't bring your feelings to the Forums! Hahahahaha

Everyone sees a situation differently. I respect your opinion on guided hunts. That said, I am not saying they don't have their place as to even have a chance to hunt certain animals you must utilize them, but overall, it's not for me. ANd for me, I stand by my statement.

I don't feel like I am missing out on anything other than being taken to a big animal (buck, bull whatever) location. You pay the guides to find the animals for you, that is what a guide service is (among other potential things).

I am the type of person who would rather do it myself even if the animal I harvest (or don't harvest) isn't what it could've been with a guides expertise. To me, it gives me greater satisfaction. Just a personality thing I guess, maybe to a fault.

Everyone sees a situation differently. I respect your opinion on guided hunts. That said, I am not saying they don't have their place as to even have a chance to hunt certain animals you must utilize them, but overall, it's not for me. ANd for me, I stand by my statement.

I don't feel like I am missing out on anything other than being taken to a big animal (buck, bull whatever) location. You pay the guides to find the animals for you, that is what a guide service is (among other potential things).

I am the type of person who would rather do it myself even if the animal I harvest (or don't harvest) isn't what it could've been with a guides expertise. To me, it gives me greater satisfaction. Just a personality thing I guess, maybe to a fault.
......or you hire a guide to access property that you couldn't otherwise, like ranches, Indian Reservations, etc, etc.

Yes Niller!

I Don't Over Score them!

But can You Imagine walking up on the Bull & Having GROUND GAINAGE?:D

This bull is very unique, certainly. The unit is not your normal "Sportsman tag" unit, that's for sure.

Bessy, I heard the initial quick score was higher than what you mentioned. We'll find out eventually when it has a sign next to it at the Expo with the score on it, I guess.

Or you hire a guide to teach you things. Contrary to rumor around here I actually don't know everything and I enjoy learning skills from other people.

There's been a lot of lessons I have learned from guides on what to do AND WHAT NOT TO DO. ;) I don't let my ego get in the way.
Yep...things like an area you've never been to, and he's hunted for the past 15 years! Seems like a smart move to me, when one has waited 10 - 20 yrs for his premium tag. That's a lot of time and money, not to invest a bit more into your success...IMO.

Yep...things like an area you've never been to, and he's hunted for the past 15 years! Seems like a smart move to me, when one has waited 10 - 20 yrs for his premium tag. That's a lot of time and money, not to invest a bit more into your success...IMO.
Exactly! Outfitters are the service that allows everyone with a credit card to apply for every draw tag everywhere. (y)

Now all of us can hunt anywhere, and without breaking a sweat. Perfect!:D

There, the third rail has been touched.

Last edited:
As quoted from LA BAMBA in the scene where Bob takes Richie to the Ho House in Mexico, "Pick any one you want, or pick two! It's like high school prom only this prom PUTS OUT!!" :LOL:

Is that Nebo?

Looks like a fallow deer. I’d take a big heavy Typ over that any day. Just sayin.
I’ve heard some theories on how this bull came to be. One of which is pretty dang convincing. Yes he’s free range NOW. But that wasn’t always the case.

Unsubstantiated rumors have no validity. Either put up the evidence or don’t make the the comment that implies he was farm raised. If there is truly hard evidence, B&C prob won’t allow him to be scored/ entered
Does the southern fence of an elk farm which has giants bulls on it, burning down in 2018 due to a giant forest fire and a couple elk escaping count as evidence?

If true, yes. But you didn’t put that in your post. There are so many people who make such accusations and never state anything to back them up.

But if he has been free for 2 years and had 2 cycles of new antlers while feeding on native grasses, he will prob be classified as “wild”. Not sure if proven if they would allow B&C scoring or not.

I have also heard that a bunch of bulls got out of the ranch from the fire 2 years ago. now they are killing giant non typ wild bulls huh kinda weird!

People (local guides) have been hunting that particular bull for the past 5 years, the Nebo fire was 2 years ago.
But this could explain why Nebo had 3 bulls over 400" come off it this year.

I’ve heard the rumors about it being an escaped farm raised bull. It’s definitely possible. But for me, I’m not sure it matters. If that’s true, it’s been “escaped” for 2.5 years minimum and made it through A LOT of hunters in that time until a week ago when it was killed.

Either way, I’d gladly put my tag on it. The only reason it would matter is if B&C won’t accept it, and I wouldn’t care about that personally. I wouldn’t have submitted it for the book anyway.

It’s a giant bull. It came off a unit the statewide tag holders usually wouldn’t think to hunt, which is too bad because the odds of drawing the unit will probably change now. Point creep, anyone?

And if a few bulls got out, there might be others waiting for some lucky hunter to tag a ~440 inch beast down the road. Good on them.

Congrats to all of us for this bull.! Thanks to our sacrifice of opportunity to hunt elk in Utah, the DWR was able to restrict hunting (with our support) and grow this old bull on public land so this individual could shoot him, and WLH could get their paycheck and watermark on the picture... Really, great job everyone.!!

No, that does not count as evidence. Unless someone has photos, an ear tag, or DNA samples from the bull while he was on the farm and can match it up.
Does the southern fence of an elk farm which has giants bulls on it, burning down in 2018 due to a giant forest fire and a couple elk escaping count as evidence?

Wow this thread has taken a turn........

I don’t care it the bull lived on a farm previously, I don’t care that this guy has more money then me.

I do care that he wounded and probably killed animals before this one. I do care that Don pray and like organizations make way too much of gullible people that think he is the “savior” (reminds me of some Mormons and Mitt).

if this bull made it off of said elk farm 2.5 years ago and avoided being harvested by the sounds of people and guides, then he is a “free range bull” in my mind. But for the OP to state “the lemon boys got it done” is absolutely asinine.

I heard they had over 100 people looking for this bull. Well no F****ng sh*t they “got it done”. This is more like a canned hunt when the animal can’t go somewhere without some high paid d!ck weed Being camped on him.

this is an ugly bull that does not deserve the attention or credit he is receiving. But to each there own. The state should impose maximum dollars that guides can receive for one tag to stop the head hunt that is taking place. The finders fee on this bull and previous bulls are ridiculous. And they should be limited the guiding outfits should have to take a hit on the profits if they want to show they are the best!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom