Spot? Generation 2 SPOT

I have the gen 1 and have never had any of the issues I read about on-line. never once sent a message that didn't go through. I think where people have problems is: 1- you can't fix stupid, 2- People are really stupider than even I give them credit for, 3-, and honestly- You just have to WATCH the lights blinking, you'll see when your message goes through every time. Just like a GPS, Don't stand in a timber thicket and expect it to get sat's, but you don't have to be in a wide open meadow either.

All in all, it just keeps the wife happy

LAST EDITED ON Dec-12-12 AT 07:35PM (MST)[p]hangingmeat
I don't know anything about them at all. So I send a message back to what? And is there a monthly cost or hoew does this work? I have had a GPS for many years and is the greatest thing I ever owned. If yo could can yo explain this unit some more? This Generation 2 Spot is it a newer version?

There is another unit out there called InReach. I have been doing a little research on the different units as I hunt an area that is a 5 mile pack in trip with no cell service for most of the hike or at my designation either. With the InReach you can send and receive a short character text through your Droid or smart phone via satellite. The SPOT only allows you to put in a pre determined text such as ?I'm back at camp and all is good? and send it to the number you choose but you can't receive a message. They all take a few minutes for the text to be received, it is not instantaneous.

I rented a satellite phone once for just a few days and the cost was way out there. I think I paid something like $120.00 for the phone rental and then another $20.00 bucks for only 8 minutes phone use over a 6 day trip. I figure in one year I can buy and pay for the service of a SPOT or InReach and cover the cost of how many times I'm in the back country and would need or I should say ?should have? a satellite phone or rescue beacon devise.

I think with any of the models you can set up a GPS map on your computer and hit a button on the device as you hike or hunt. This way your wife or other can actually track you at home. They also have an insurance that you can purchase so that in case you do have to have a rescue come in after you it's not going to cost you $30,000 to get help.

The InReach is a more expensive devise and the monthly bill is a little more than SPOT also. However you can block off the months that you will need it and only pay for that time with exception to a really low monthly service fee of something like 3 or 4 bucks. I'm still researching it but I'm pretty sure because of the extra texting features InReach allows me I will go that route. These units look something like a small walkie Talkie and can be clipped to the outside of you back pack so in case of an emergency you won't have to dig it out. As I mentioned, I'm still comparing and researching them but it would really be a piece of mind for my wife knowing I could get help if I really needed it and if nothing else just to say hello and everything is good at anytime of the day.

GBA

LAST EDITED ON Dec-13-12 AT 10:59AM (MST)[p]GBA
Thanks for explaining how they work. I also get in to areas that it would be handy to get a messge for the family and I have a son that is in remote areas a lot and would good to know he is fine.

I got the InReach last year as a gift from my dad..So far I really like it.. The 2 way messaging is really cool, I don't use it a lot but it's nice to know its there..

More details on the InReach... The seasonal plan has a minimum of 4 months with a $40 per month fee... So with that plan it's going to be a minimum of $160 per year for only 4 months of use..

The cheapest plan (the one I got) allows 10 messages per month (overage is only $1.50 per message) and is only $10 per month so you get 12 months for $120..

Upgrading plans is free but it cost $25 to downgrade...

Unless you plan on running you're business or texting like a chick in high school while you're in the back country the cheapest plan is the way to go..

Bottom line cost:

Spot II $119 initial cost + $100 per year

Delorme InReach $250 initial cost + $120 per year with the ability to receive texts...

horsepoop.gif

Disclaimer:
The poster does not take any responsibility for any hurt or bad feelings. Reading threads poses inherent risks. The poster would like to remind readers to make sure they have a functional sense of humor before they visit any discussion board.

No problem..There's also lot's of video reviews of both on YouTube...

horsepoop.gif

Disclaimer:
The poster does not take any responsibility for any hurt or bad feelings. Reading threads poses inherent risks. The poster would like to remind readers to make sure they have a functional sense of humor before they visit any discussion board.

I have a gen 1 SPOT and have been happy with it. It gives my wife piece of mind as I send an "I'm OK" message every night. It gives me piece of mind knowing I can push the 911 button if I ever get into serious trouble (break leg or something). I believe the SPOT II had a lot of reliability problems when it was introduced and there a lot of bad reviews out there. I don't mind the lack of 2-way communication, in fact it has an upside (I won't get called home to fix the toilet). If there is a real emergency at home they will figure out a way to get a message to me, they know where I am camped.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom