spotting scope help

D

dhnter

Hey everyone,
First time logging to the forum. I have a question regarding spotting scopes. I am trying to decide between a Zeiss AT65, a Leica Telvid 62 APO or a Swaroski STS 65. I have all but decided against the Swaroski simply b/c they keep running the price up and I don't feel like they are that much better than the other two scopes that I mentioned. I will be using this mainly for Mule deer and Elk here in Colorado as well as an Alaska trip we have for next year. Any help you guys can give me would be greatly appreciated.

Welcome to Monster Muleys dhntr. The quality in all three is great! Look through all three in the daylight and dawn and dusk to really decide which is best for you. Warranty, warranty, warranty! Swarovski really honors thier warranty. I've heard both good and bad about Leica honoring thiers. Ziess, I haven't got a clue about. I suggest going to the search option on the "message board" main page of this site and punch in "Spotting scope" and read away. These guys on this site really know thier stuff. In the end, it all boils down to your personal preference. Good luck. Fatrooster.

I know those scopes you mentioned are good ... they're just BIG to be packing ....

I would highly recommend you check out the 12x40x60 Leupold gold ring spotting scope !!

I use it exclusively for all my hunting from, muleys in the breaks to the alpine, to my mountain goat hunting, moose, elk and sheep hunting here in British Columbia.

It is a favorite among guides.

fatrooster,
The zeiss has the only transferable warranty of the 3 and just like you I have heard great things about the Swarovski warranty and I have a pair of 10x42 EL and they have been great binos but I just hate buying the swarovski's after they go and raise the price. Pretty soon common folks aren't going to be able to afford them. The only way to send a message is to stop buying them. Let me know if anything else comes to mind. Thanks, Jed

I have never owned the other two scopes but currently have the STS80 20x60 and am quite pleased. I also have the EL 10-42 and totally love it. Would not trade it for anything. Previously I owned a Nikon 16x46 spotter XL and it was real nice, but the differnce is at dawn or dusk. The Swarovski's make it clearer. I believe they are worth there weight in gold. My 2 cents.

I still highly reccoment the Leupold scope !! Its durability, compactness etc make this a top spotter for all hunting conditions.

I agree those other scopes are great and have looked through them .... but they re best used off the hood of a truck due to their sizes and weight.....or if you travel by horse all the time and the horse can carry it !!

BC,
I too am looking for a spotting scope and the Leupold you mentioned has caught my eye.

But the weight difference is only a couple of ounces between the Leupold 12-40x60 37oz and the Swarovski STS65 20-60x65 39.9oz. Are you comparing these two or is your Leupold smaller than this?

Thanks

LAST EDITED ON Jul-14-04 AT 01:10PM (MST)[p]You're right about the weight difference ... I've got 36oz on the Leupold but thats miniscule ..... and you're right that there really isn't much weight difference....just body shape.

Another reason I didn't like the 20x60x65 ....of which I tested while sheep hunting up north is the heat waves.

The best scopes in the world will not eliminate heat waves and thats why guides up here don't use them often.

Most scopes don't start showing heat waves until power hits 40. We found in the mountains looking at sheep, caribou, goats and elk in other areas that zooming in to judge an animal or to have a closer look at distant basins was seriously hampered by heat waves dancing in the lens past 45 power. That of course worsens with the distance you are glassing......at which point you might as well be at 35 or 40 power.

In constant cold weather ...the scope could very well shine as there will be less heat waves !!!

But as it is .... I personally need durability, versatality, compactness and toughness all in one for every hunting purpose. My experience, along with many guides and hunting friends here in BC has led to the purchases of Leupold spotting scopes .....

Not to put down the fine glass that Swarovski's make ... they're awsome !!! And great looking .... but dollar for dollar and for usefulness ....... the Leupold wins out in my eyes.

Bottom line - a hunter needs to be comfortable with what you get and confidence ..... the best glass in the world won't make u a better hunter ... but how good you are at using them and what you're using them for

Good luck with the purchase choice and let me know what you choose !! and happy hunting.

If yer gonna part with yer hard earned coins, I'd do more homework. I made a trip to Cabela's a few years ago and had all their high dollar spotters on the same tripod looking through each from late afternoon until dark so I could get some idea on light gathering ability, field of view, etc. After researching things, considering price, and so forth, I went with the Leupold spotter. It's compact size is hard to beat if you're packing much weight. I thought Leupold's field of view was better than most of the others and the clarity and brightness seemed as good if not better than the others. It wasn't a difficult choice for me and I've had no regrets...

I have both the 12x40 leupold and the Zeiss. I love them both and agree completly with the previous statements. The leupold gets packed and the zeiss gets trucked. If I had to choose, I would take the leupold for alround and price. The big spotters also need a very stable platform. I have more trouble with shake than anything, when I use a backpack tripod. My truck tripod is like a rock.

LAST EDITED ON Jul-15-04 AT 01:43AM (MST)[p]dhntr, that transferrable warranty with Zeiss is a good point. I also understand that Zeiss only makes one quality, which is the high quality, of spotting scope. In other words, Swaro makes a regular quality scope and then they make the HD(High Definition). Leica makes a regular quality and the APO(Acromatic)or something like that. Zeis also throws in a tripod. So Zeiss does make a pretty good deal. I also have to agree with BCboy about that Leopold. Its pretty awesome and from what I've read here they don't skimp at honoring thier warranty.
As far as price goes on the Swaro's, just shop the internet and you can find some pretty good deals. And, a warranty like Swaro gives is gonna cost you. Make absolutely sure that you get the AMERICAN warranty when you buy any German optic. There are gray market warranties that suck.
I personally owne Swarovski and have never regretted it. But the quality of the big three is so close that I don't think you could go wrong with any of them. And don't forget that Leopold. If price is a big deal then consider a layaway plan. My dealer has a 6 month plan and has stated that he would extend it as far as he had to as long as the customer did not lose interest. Sorry that I'm so long winded but I love optics. Hope that I've helped a little. Fatrooster.
P.S. Sometimes those heat waves aren't out there and the extra large 80 millemeter sure is nice. Sometimes that little bit of difference makes all the difference in the world.

I too, will soon be stepping up to a higher quality spotting scope. I hunt with a buddy that has the zeiss 80 mm HD and it is just lovely! I believe that when he purchased his (about 2 years ago), he had the choice between HD or regular. Anyway, I am leaning toward the Swarovski. I have not looked at the Leupold yet, but I soon will. However, I have a question about the Leupold. Does the Leupold have a big eye piece/view? I love how big the eye pieces are on the Swarovski and Zeiss. The eye stress thing is a big factor for me, and I can tell you that the zeiss causes very little eye stress when glassing for several hours.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom