Spring bear hunt vs record snow pack

Gorilla

How was the opening weekend of the spring bear hunt?

I was driving Highway 6 over the weekend and was stunned at how much snow is still on the Nebo unit. Glad I did not draw my bear tag this year.

It got me thinking...How do bears survive the huge snow pack so late in the season? Do they know to stay den'd up longer? Or do they just come out on schedule and head to a lower elevations to find food?

If it is the later, I suspect we will start hearing about bears wondering in to mountain towns looking for food. I saw a bunch of deer and elk road kills. Maybe the DNR should round up all the road/winter kill and drop them off in the foothills so the bears have something to eat when they come out of hibernation.

Not sure, but up north by Canadian border where I have hunted bears for past 30 years they are not coming out for another month on a normal year.

We always figured on hunting for 10 days starting on the weekend closest to May 20th. Much earlier and not many out and really tough hunt. This is spot and stalk hunting.

Not sure, but up north by Canadian border where I have hunted bears for past 30 years they are not coming out for another month on a normal year.

We always figured on hunting for 10 days starting on the weekend closest to May 20th. Much earlier and not many out and really tough hunt. This is spot and stalk hunting.
Idaho?

I always want to go waaaaaaay to early. And every time I tell myself why the hell did you go to early again?

Needless to say I’m obviously going to go see if I can get to my bait site this weekend….

Received a video of a nice bear today from a hound hunter I know, there's at least one bear awake in my area.
Unit your in should be pretty good earlier especially if you can get on some if the private ground. I may be doing just that for a spot and stalk again this year

Snow level is fairly high considering the storms we've had recently, I think this year is going to be great for spring bear at the mid elevations early on. I'll be after them next week once I get some time off.

What elevation are you hunting at? Not sure I can get to mine yet.
3800 ft. It’s on a south slope though with a south approach. North sides of all the hills up there are buried. I’m pretty lucky that I got a really good private access to my bait site that’s kept clear

3800 ft. It’s on a south slope though with a south approach. North sides of all the hills up there are buried. I’m pretty lucky that I got a really good private access to my bait site that’s kept clear

Thanks for the reply. Good to know. I imagine my area is still snowed in, need to make a call to local gas station in that area and get a snow report.

Bear hunting in Utah must be really slow right now. I have yet to see a 2023 social media bear post from the Mossback crew .

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom