Spring Thunder

CA_Wapiti

Draw results for the Special Draw turkey hunts (Opening Weekend/Archery-Only) dropped this morning. Anyone get lucky? I nabbed Spenceville Wildlife Area opening day. Hoping to make it over the Sierras and scout the day prior to opener. Anyone near Yuba City/Grass Valley area heard any gobbling yet? My buddy who lives near Paso Robles said he saw a couple Toms out strutting a couple days ago so the action is about to start heating up!

For the turkey hunters in the group, what setup are you running this year?

Mine is:
Franchi Affinity 3 20 gauge
Trulock .585 (ported)
Apex 3” 1 5/8oz #9

Best of luck this Spring!

Didn't get drawn for anything, but luckily have a plan B. Birds have been strutting and gobbling for about 2 weeks here in the northern valley. I'm old school and don't really buy into the hype of all the new chokes and loads.. I use 12ga 3" hevishot #5's in a factory full choke with great results year to year. I usually pull out my old Winchester X2 for turkey season just to keep in the rotation. Good luck to you!

the new draw system sucks why no points ?
in the past you could hunt Spenceville after opening weekend and do pretty good

I imagine there are no points because anyone can still hunt just not during the specified date ranges on the specific properties. I think it’s a good concept. Keeps things exciting and gives a few guys an opportunity at a good hunt before the area opens back up to the public. I almost got a bird there last year during mid-season but a farmer working cattle spooked him. Too many hikers as well once it opens back up to the public. I have a base hunting permit for Beale I may try out while I’m over there. Not a huge fan of the way the program is ran on that base, no way of knowing area availability/closure and no way to check-in to an area through websites such as iSportsmen which is used on most military installations. Either way, I’m thankful for the opportunity at Spenceville and just hope there are plenty of birds to go around and that they are fired up!

I imagine there are no points because anyone can still hunt just not during the specified date ranges on the specific properties. I think it’s a good concept. Keeps things exciting and gives a few guys an opportunity at a good hunt before the area opens back up to the public. I almost got a bird there last year during mid-season but a farmer working cattle spooked him. Too many hikers as well once it opens back up to the public. I have a base hunting permit for Beale I may try out while I’m over there. Not a huge fan of the way the program is ran on that base, no way of knowing area availability/closure and no way to check-in to an area through websites such as iSportsmen which is used on most military installations. Either way, I’m thankful for the opportunity at Spenceville and just hope there are plenty of birds to go around and that they are fired up!
can you hunt after draw i thought they changed it and kept people out all season

“Closed to hunting February 1 through August 31 except during the spring turkey season when only turkeys may be hunted. Closed to all visitor entry during the first nine days of the spring turkey season except for special turkey permit holders. The posted area around the Spenceville Mine is closed to visitor entry.”

Pg. 59, California Waterfowl/Upland Game Use of Department Lands

My understanding is that you may hunt turkey after the first nine days of Spring season during the remaining Balance of Season and Archery-Only season. Issue is the number of people which use the area after the first nine days of season makes it difficult to hunt uninterrupted.

I've been hunting the wildlife areas for turkeys for many years. It's getting tough(at least for me) to draw anymore. Looks like I'm fishing on the 26th! Hope the youth hunters are having a good hunt and would love some pics!

EBAF13F7-DA8C-4BAB-AAD6-33EF200FD947.jpeg

I got drawn for Lake Sonoma, any of you guys have any experience with that turkey hunt?

Mark
Mark,
Congrats on drawing a cool hunt, I'm quite jealous! My boy drew the youth hunt last year and we had a great hunt, that place is filthy with birds (No luck for us this year in the draw). During the youth hunt we didn't see any other hunters, not sure if that will be the same during your adult hunt or not.
If you have access to a boat, that can make your hunt a bit easier and will give you access to a lot more country. There are also some very cool boat-in only campsites you can stay in as well, Logger and Thumb camp are my personal favorites. I sold my boat a few years ago so last year we camped at the marina and hoofed it out of the trailheads within a close drive of there. There is still a lot of ground that can be accessed by putting boots to the ground. You should expect to have a great hunt. Best of luck and please keep us posted as to how it goes for ya!
Mike

Mark,
Congrats on drawing a cool hunt, I'm quite jealous! My boy drew the youth hunt last year and we had a great hunt, that place is filthy with birds (No luck for us this year in the draw). During the youth hunt we didn't see any other hunters, not sure if that will be the same during your adult hunt or not.
If you have access to a boat, that can make your hunt a bit easier and will give you access to a lot more country. There are also some very cool boat-in only campsites you can stay in as well, Logger and Thumb camp are my personal favorites. I sold my boat a few years ago so last year we camped at the marina and hoofed it out of the trailheads within a close drive of there. There is still a lot of ground that can be accessed by putting boots to the ground. You should expect to have a great hunt. Best of luck and please keep us posted as to how it goes for ya!
Mike
Thanks for the response, wasn’t sure what to expect glad to hear we should at least see some birds. We will be bringing a boat. We are going to go up there Friday morning to scout around a bit and fish, then camp Friday night.

Thanks again for the info,

Mark

Draw results for the Special Draw turkey hunts (Opening Weekend/Archery-Only) dropped this morning. Anyone get lucky? I nabbed Spenceville Wildlife Area opening day. Hoping to make it over the Sierras and scout the day prior to opener. Anyone near Yuba City/Grass Valley area heard any gobbling yet? My buddy who lives near Paso Robles said he saw a couple Toms out strutting a couple days ago so the action is about to start heating up!

For the turkey hunters in the group, what setup are you running this year?

Mine is:
Franchi Affinity 3 20 gauge
Trulock .585 (ported)
Apex 3” 1 5/8oz #9

Best of luck this Spring!
I’m running the franchi affinity 20 gauge as well! Basically retired all my 12 gauges such a great gun

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

California Guides & Outfitters

Western Wildlife Adventures

Offering some fine Blacktail Deer hunting, Wild Pig hunts, Turkey hunts and Waterfowl hunts.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer the top private land hunts in all of California, for blacktail deer, elk, pigs, bison and turkeys.

G & J Outdoors

Offering Tule elk hunts for bulls and cows on a 17,000 acre Ranch in Laytonville, CA with 100% success.

Back
Top Bottom