Squirrel hunting

Blueoak

Very Active Member
I got a new outback and have been trying to shoot squirrels with it. I have only hit one, but it has been fun. I figure its good practice. By the end of summer I should be pretty good. Has anyone else tried it?

I've shoot a number of ground squirrels with my bow. I think it is about the best practice that you can get. I'll be out thumping the squirrels and rock chucks in a few weeks.

LAST EDITED ON Mar-18-04 AT 10:42AM (MST)[p]We hunt them every year at deer camp. Its an absolute ball. The hunter who gets the most does not have to cook or do dishes that night. The practice helps a ton. I watched my Father-In-Law shoot one in the head at 43 yards. Have fun

I shot one this past achery season for being toooo loud! He paid the ultimate price...death!

jeremy oregon

YA have your brother stand on the other side of the tree and catch the arrows as they come.
its fun fo you and him.
I hate it though when you shoot the back leg off and the squrrel gerks a couple times and runns up the tree into his hole.
heck you loose a good arrow wedged in the tree like that.

I haven't gone ground squirreling with my bow but I have done jack rabbit shooting. I might have to try the squirreling out~! The only part I don't like is even with the judo tips, I still get an occassional arrow skipping off the California Hard pan ground.

grew up with a golf course down the road and in the summer would go shoot ground squinnies and chipmunks and get paid for it.
got use to shooting at a lot of dif, ranges and snap shots.
that was back when the recurve was popular.
also snagged golf ball.
some times they were just down over the hill (out of site ) from the guy who just hit it. hehehehe

Man I shoot as many of those little buggers as I can! I live on the west side of Washington State, so the 22 is out of the question. Just don't tell my mom, she calls our house a wildlife preserve, so shhhh. No, but it is a lot of fun, and it is a good way to practice, cause those things never seem to sit still for yah! But man I can't wait to be able to draw on a elk next year, only about five more months, wow the withdraws are getting bad!

Shoot then in the head with blunts, that way u dont ruin arrows unless they break, just carry and extra with you. It is great fun
Michael

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom