SST interbond bullets

txhunter58

Long Time Member
I am taking my 270 on a high country buck hunt next month. I have always shot Hornady light magnum 140 grain ammunition because my guy shoots 1/2" groups with them. However, the interlock bullets tend to come apart a little too easily. I am considering using the new 130 grain SST interbond bullets. They claim to have tapered and strengthen the jacket so that it expands well, but never, ever seperates. That along with the extra velocity/energy of the light magnum and the flat shooting nature of the bullet makes me think they are worth a look. I guess I will try a box and see how my gun likes them. Comments?

txhunter58

venor, ergo sum (I hunt, therefore I am)

I just reloaded a box of .270 130 gr. SST ammo. I took them to the range yesterday and they grouped around 1" at 100 yards, which seems to be typical out of my Ruger MKII. In the past I shot Nosler 130 gr. Ballistic tips, just thought I'd try something new. I was wandering how their going work on mule deer?

But did you use the regular SST or the SST interbond. The original SST is thin skinned and basically a rapid expansion bullet, whereas the SST-IB is not supposed to come apart if you hit bone, etc.

txhunter58

I'm using the SST which are not interbonded. They say there good for up to deer size game.

If they shoot straight, I am going to try the 130 gr SST-Interbond on a big mulie next month!

txhunter58

Well, unfortunately the factory loaded 130 grain light magnum SST IB"s didn't shoot great from my 270: 1-1/2 to 2" groups at 100 yards off a bench. Went back to the 140 grain light magnums and the groups shrunk to 3/4". I like the bullet construction of the SST interbond better, but I like the confidence of the tighter groups when shooting at 400 yards, so I guess I will be taking the 140's.

txhunter58

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom