Stalking Shoes/Socks

Vitalwave

I need some good recommendations on footwear for archery elk. I am interested in not killing my ankles but still want to be quiet. My boots are nice but bulky. I have heard of people even taking off their shoes during a stalk. What are you guys and gals wearing on your archery hunts?

I need some good recommendations on footwear for archery elk. I am interested in not killing my ankles but still want to be quiet. My boots are nice but bulky. I have heard of people even taking off their shoes during a stalk. What are you guys and gals wearing on your archery hunts?
I would never remove my boots. Too often you have to move when setting up of have to follow or chase a moving group. Just watch where you step.

I wear Merrill Moab’s, so not much bull. For a stalk I put on my Safari Stalkers. I wouldn’t remove shoes either. I’ve done that and anything sharp is going to mess up a good stalk.

I've been wearing Danner pronghorn, un-insulated and they are pretty nice even when crunching around on the underbrush. A lesson I learned early on archery elk hunting us Elk are loud. Unless the situation calls for it which I've never really found it needed, I just walk around normally while cow calling or just closing the gap between me and a bull.

I have personally actually noticed that I get less close calls while trying to be more sneaky, over when I just walk around and don't try and sneak.

I agree. Elk don’t care about noise when your sounding like an elk. Ever hear those things crash around to woods. Learn to call and don’t get up wind
What if you watch one bed down before the rut? Im thinking early season when a cow call would freak them out.

Learn how to call is an important part of it. Ive never freaked an elk out with a cow call, but I know when to shut up too. Early season elk can be called. I’ve called and killed bulls firsts few days of September though I don’t bother hunting the heat any more. I can wait till it gets better. And many a bull has bugled back at me from his bed

What if you watch one bed down before the rut? Im thinking early season when a cow call would freak them out.
Personal choice at that point. I typically watch them bed and then set up an ambush point instead of going to them while they are bedded. But I know some guys who like ambushing while bedded. In that case yeah stealth all the way but that's tough cause they usually bed in smart areas where it's hard to get to sneakily

I wear my Merrell boots and only one time put my bears feet on! Animals are noisy to begin with and I have found the sneakier you are they think your a predator instead of one of them!! I’m with JP and never drop my pack either.

I have a different approach to killing elk. Yes they absolutely make a lot of noise. My goal is not to mimic elk noise as I get close , my goal is to be invisible to the elk, I don't want them to be looking for other elk as I make noise in the woods. When im within 100-200 yards if at all possible I stop and put on my sneaker Bairs Feet . I even made some of my own using leather moccasins and carpet attached to the bottom. My goal is to be in totally stealth mode .

In my style of elk hunting I rarely see a time where I want to take my boots off, even pack I have dropped it and then spent 2 hours hiking back to get it… stalking bedding mule deer I could see maybe trying it and using a super thick additional wool sock

I have a different approach to killing elk. Yes they absolutely make a lot of noise. My goal is not to mimic elk noise as I get close , my goal is to be invisible to the elk, I don't want them to be looking for other elk as I make noise in the woods. When im within 100-200 yards if at all possible I stop and put on my sneaker Bairs Feet . I even made some of my own using leather moccasins and carpet attached to the bottom. My goal is to be in totally stealth mode .
And don’t forget that you have the lord Jesus on your side, which is kinda like cheating.

I’m an elk hunting purist, I leave god tied up at home.

You sir have a misunderstanding about the character/ nature ....the Holiness of who God is . He is 100% Love but to those who "choose "to dishonor Him and His Righteousness...well let's just say there will be an eternal separation. SS ,these conversations are not about you winning or me winning, we both lose without Jesus .

You sir have a misunderstanding about the character/ nature ....the Holiness of who God is . He is 100% Love but to those who "choose "to dishonor Him and His Righteousness...well let's just say there will be an eternal separation. SS ,these conversations are not about you winning or me winning, we both lose without Jesus .
Fine fine fine! I’ll take Jesus elk hunting. But he better walk quietly!

I have had much greater success archery hunting with boots off. But this is spot and stalk. If calling I’ll leave boots on. I mostly use trail running shoes now, but I’ll still go in socks those last 50 yards. I have learned to mark with his where I take my boots off. ?

SS,I very much appreciate you not lashing out at me ... there is hope buddy. Thinking time around the Campfire would be awesome with you as we both have a passion for being in the woods and pursuing His critters. Yes I know I'd have to tread lightly on who gave us this privilege. Blessings sir

I like Lowa renegade boots and I've archery elk hunted a lot. It's just my opinion but I never take my boots off during a stalk... I don't think it's necessary especially for elk. Elk are loud that's a fact, not just my opinion. Even on mule deer I think the nosies you make and playing the wind are much more important details. There are always noises in the woods where I hunt. Squirrels, elk being elk, rocks rolling, the wind blowing the aspens are all natural sounds. Talking, banging your arrow off the rest, backpack dragging across the trees, banging pots and pans will spook animals.

I prefer a heavy lug Vibram sole, gradated full shank , low ankle, no insulation boot. (think Lowa Tibet, Scarpa Kinesis)
In my two decades of elk archery, only one time did I go stocking foot --the heard was bedded late morning, I had to close 90yds, and it made the difference.

I prefer a heavy lug Vibram sole, gradated full shank , low ankle, no insulation boot. (think Lowa Tibet, Scarpa Kinesis)
In my two decades of elk archery, only one time did I go stocking foot --the heard was bedded late morning, I had to close 90yds, and it made the difference.
I’d really like to hear the story. Getting through bedded cows to a bull is amazing.

I bought stalking booties a few years ago, big mistake, very slippery on a slope about killed myself on steep terrain.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom