Stallion Range Oryx for ELKSNIPER

crazyelk

LAST EDITED ON Jan-18-10 AT 11:58PM (MST)[p]Greetings,

Last March 09, Francisco Jr. got the news that he had drawn his Once in a Lifetime license to hunt Oryx on the Stallion Range Center of the White Sands Missile Range in January of 2010.

With almost a year to wait for this, we knew that he had a lot of time to plan and prepare for this hunt. Preparation involved Francisco Jr. shooting his favorite big game rifle a bunch! According my records, Francisco logged approximately 250 shots from a variety of field shooting positions. This also included several sessions of sets of 20, "dry firing" his rifle at pictures of Oryx that we had on every wall in the house. He was asked to call his shot... where the scope cross hairs were when the trigger was released. These sessions were supervised by me for safety reasons. Before these sessions we made absolutely sure the rifle was unloaded, and checked again, again, and again. No ammo was present to make sure we did not get any bullet holes in the wall. Of course nobody else could be in the house to do this.

Preparation included researching Oryx the animal and how to hunt these fabulous creatures. Books were read and contacts were made with several well respected Oryx hunting experts in an effort to learn as much as we could. All the information provided was soaked into our spongy brains. For this entire Oryx hunting insight, we are very much in debt to you all. Many of these individuals frequent the MM forums. You know who you are. THANK YOU very much!

After almost an eternity of waiting, the hunt finally arrived for Francisco Jr. The final week included more shooting and getting all the gear ready for the hunt. Francisco was very excited. He had to sharpen every knife we had.

The Friday before the hunt came, so we loaded up and drove down to meet my brother in law in ABQ. He was the fourth person chosen to join Francisco Jr., Santiago and myself on this hunt. I can remember conversation I had with Francisco Jr. last March. I told Francisco Jr. that he could take three guests with him on Oryx hunt and I was going to be up to him to decide who was going. I asked if I was going to get an invite. With a smile on his face he told me "We'll see" After about a week of thought he came up with the Oryx hunting party. I was included. Yes!!!! I knew he would not forget his dad.

After what seemed to be short drive down to Socorro, NM, we check into the Super 8 and got some needed rest. As darkness was coming Friday evening, we decide to get some dinner. We went into the Denny's and saw other Oryx hunters there. Francisco Jr. started to get a little nervous. We gulped our food down and headed back to the room. On the way in the lobby we encountered several other Oryx hunters. Francisco Jr. was very nervous now. I have to admit. I could feel something flying in my stomach too. Off to bed we went for a very short night. We had to be up at 3:30 AM the next morning.

3:30 AM seemed to come with a blink of an eye after putting the head on the pillow. Francisco Jr. said he did not sleep at all. I think he did. I heard him snoring. I'm sure he had "Oryx dancing in his head". At around 4:30 AM, we were on our way to the Stallion Range Center Gate.

At about 5:04 AM we were greeted with a long line of break lights at the gate. As we inched forward and a rather short wait, we were searched, checked in, and asked to parking area to wait for the hunt orientation. As the sun, was beginning to show over the Oscuras, the parking lot where the hunt orientation was to occur was glowing just as bright with blaze orange as hunters and their guests began to filter in. The hunt orientation began. The hunt officials shared their words of wisdom, the do's, don'ts, and after they shared their good luck gestures, the race was on. Literally, folks were running,....no sprinting to their vehicles to be the first ones down the road. I had been on two other On Range Oryx hunts before. Never did I see the hunters and guests take off like they did that morning. It kind of reminded me of Wal-mart when the doors open for "Black Friday". Heck the human nature in us almost made us take off running too. However, we took our
time, got to the truck. We were probably the last ten trucks in the parking lot. As we went down the road, everyone seemed to disappear.

We had gone south about half a mile on one of the main roads when we saw our first Oryx. It was a double broke bull. He was high tailing it away from the road. He had seen all the traffic. he was knew what was going on and did not want any part of it. We decided to let him run. If we would have decided to play this one, it would of been tough. So on we went to find a high spot to glass.

I recall an area that I had been before on previous hunt that would lend itself to some good glassing opportunities. When we got there and began glass, immediately we saw a 30" plus bull and two ugly broken horned Oryx. We decided to try to stalk the mature bull but were interrupted by three other Oryx that running behind us, parallel to our location. One of the Oryx caught our attention as looked to be a very long horned cow. We decided to move on them to cut them off as they began to slow down. We confirmed that the cow had one very long horn and broken side. I asked him if he wanted to try to get a shot at her. It was confirmed as he chambered a round and put the safety on. The new stalk was on. As we got closer to their location it looked like the plan was going to work out. I asked Francisco Jr. again if he would be happy with a large broken horned cow. He said yes as we inched closer. It seemed like the Oryx were paralleling us when all of a sudden
they started angling toward us at a pretty good gallop. The big cow was second in line quartering away from us. It seemed like they had not seen us and stopped to look back at something. I lasered ranged the long cow at a distance of 154 yards. The Bog Pods were deployed immediately. Francisco Jr. got his rifle on pods to get ready for a shot. Instantly, the Oryx caught some movement, flickered their long tails and began to take off moderately quartering away from us. Little did they know that Francisco Jr. was locked on the large horned cow. Suddenly the roar of .300 Short Action Ultra Mag interrupted my words as I said "shoot". Next was the un-mistakable thumping sound when a bullet hits home. As Francisco Jr. chambered another round and I kept my eyes on the Oryx, we noticed it was hit pretty hard and began to slow down. At about 50 yards or so the cow stopped and began flickering her tail. Francisco Jr. was about shoot again, when all of a sudden
the Oryx reared up and fell over backward. We marked the spot the Oryx went down and cautiously approached the downed animal, ready to shoot again if it decided to get up. A second shot was not necessary. As the shot very slightly downhill, the 165 gr. Speer Grand Slam bullet had entered high just behind the last rib, traversing diagonally and downward to the top third of the lungs and exited in front of the far shoulder. The Grand Slam held together pretty good as indicated by the quarter size exit hole.

Francisco Jr. was very excited. So was I. You should have seen the way he was admiring his Oryx. He would not take his eyes off it the whole time. We could not believe the length of the good horn. Without putting a tap on it, we thought it might go 40 inches. Later at the gate, it was confirmed at 39". Unofficially, it might be the second or third biggest to come out this weekend out of 80 plus Oryx taken. As for the other side, no worries, we are getting it fixed to match the other side and doing a euro mount. We are very happy with how this hunt played out. I am very proud of Francisco Jr. preparation for his hunt both physically and mentally. This hunt could is tough. Francisco Jr. could not be happier with his Oryx. We have some great meat to share too. We hope to be out there again someday. I will start out by us applying now in February. Santiago wants to draw like his older brother really bad now. Brian, thanks for coming along. As always were had a great time.

P.S.
Here a funny little story and learning experience that happen to Santiago this weekend while on the Stallion Range. While hunting, he temporarily lost his wallet. In his wallet he had $240.00 (Christmas $$), Cabelas and Sportsman?s Gift Cards, and his new acquired Hunter Education Card. Well anyways, after we loaded the Oryx and started driving back to the gate, he noticed he was missing his wallet. He had set it inside the door handle of the rear truck door where he was sitting. We both were freaking out. I asked what the heck he was thinking of by carrying all his money and so on. He told me he wanted to buy some stuff at Sportsman?s. For sure we thought it had to fall out of the truck at the gate when being checked it, at the parking area, or when we are got out to glass while hunting. I asked when he had last seen it. I told me the second spot where we all got out to glass. We were headed to that spot see if it was there, when out of the blue he tells me......."Dad, I really don't need the money. I need my Hunter Ed Card." I could not believe he said that, but I guess I can relate. Anyways, we drove back to one of glassing spots and found his wallet with tire tracks on it. The first thing he looked for was his Hunter Ed. Card.

Here are some photos
4b5553ee33591484.jpg

side view
4b55544534a94f55.jpg

Francisco Sr.(Crazyelk) and Francisco Jr.(Elksniper)
4b55548c35514d96.jpg

Santiago, Francisco Sr. and FranciscoJr.
4b55556c37aae6f7.jpg

The Whole Crew
4b55560038e4b0fe.jpg

Way to go guys. I bet he is hooked for life. Get those boys applied for some good tags this year.
Nice job on getting them ready!!

Kiko great job.You were waiting for this hunt for a long time
Im glad everything came together.Great story and pics cisco.
Congrats to you guys.

ELKSNIPER....WAY TO GO!! WHAT AN AWESOME STORY BEHIND THE PICS TOO!! You did it and what a great looking animal!!
CONGRATULATIONS!!!

Hunting is Life...everything else is
Just details.
4b55c67305c256e5.jpg

elksniper

SWEET-SWEET AND SWEET!!! beautiful cow!! congrats on follow up shot that not required for second shot!!! great story great pictures!! CONGRATULATION TO U GUYS!!!!!

vinihunt

Great story and it was crazy to see everyone running to the cars. Sounds like he kept his composure better then I did.

Congrats on a very nice cow.

Great shot Elksniper, beautiful cow. Too bad you shot the broken horned oryx I hoped to see in Feb ;-) . Just kidding, congratulations!

And congratulations Dad! Spending time with my kids hunting is the greatest thing I have ever experienced.

Hunt with your kids now, so you don't have to hunt for them later.

NMYB

LAST EDITED ON Jan-19-10 AT 09:13PM (MST)[p]Live4Muleys... Did you get one? If you did post your pics and story. I would love to see some more Oryx from the stallion.

Way to go elksniper congrats on a nice oryx looks like all your time at the range paid off. I cant wait till jan 30-31 for my oil oryx hunt on rhodes i hope i will be as lucky as you were. once my hunt is over and the colts are super bowl champs maybe way can all go out and bust some yotes,the 22-250 is hurting to go out and have some fun folding yotes or bobcats.Well once again very good job.

Congrats on a great animal and a great story, thanks alot for sharing it with all of us!

Way to go Lil Kiko. Im glad to see that you scored such a nice looking oryx. Your single broken horn is bigger than both of my oryx horns. lol

congrats

Nice oryx! It's way nicer than the broken horn old cow I got on my OIL hunt. I have a similar story about a lost wallet in the Sangre De Cristos on an elk hunt while busting brush horseback east of the Ryan Ranch in Questa a few years ago. I noticed a black item on the ground while resting my horse near a stream. I picked it up and it happened to be my Compadres wallet with all his credit cards, hunting licenses, etc and some cash. He had lost it while riding through there earlier in the day and didn't miss it till I met him near nightfall later that day. Sometimes you just get lucky. It was a neat story you guys penned about your experiences. Keep it and show it to your Dad when you are leading him around like a viejito which my Son tries to do to me now. Again Congrats and keep on hunting!

Elksniper/Francisco Jr., you're the man! What a nice oryx to finish off a great season! Congrats to you on another great hunt and to old man Francisco for raising you to be such a good hunter. And, thanks for sharing such great pictures.
-Cody

TurkeyMan... Thanks! Good luck on your oil Oryx hunt. Get a big one. Be sure to post your success.

Good luck,

ElkSniper

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom