Stanislaus Forest &Others Closed

Calif_Mike

This morning the southwest region of the US Forest Service announced that they will close the Stanislaus and all forests south starting this evening at 5pm. Only reference to opening is they will monitor conditions. We may not get an opener for deer

that sucks! Now All we need is a ”hunter” target shooting mid day in rocks to spark another fire to blame us all. I can already see it.

@BuzzH could you possibly shed some light on full/entire forest closures due to fire danger? I've seen certain areas and activities/behaviors being limited before because of fire danger, but never a full on closure of 8 National Forests for all public access.

@BuzzH could you possibly shed some light on full/entire forest closures due to fire danger? I've seen certain areas and activities/behaviors being limited before because of fire danger, but never a full on closure of 8 National Forests for all public access.
Its a combination of issues; 1) Extreme fire danger with an expected high wind event. 2) Nationally the fire crews and equipment are committed so very few resources available to throw at any new starts. 3) The number of people trapped and needing rescue from the Creek Fire above Shaver Lake no doubt has scared FS management.

Its a combination of issues; 1) Extreme fire danger with an expected high wind event. 2) Nationally the fire crews and equipment are committed so very few resources available to throw at any new starts. 3) The number of people trapped and needing rescue from the Creek Fire above Shaver Lake no doubt has scared FS management.
I understand thier reasoning behind it. I just don't understand closing entire forest lands that aren't on fire. I don't believe it should be a violation for merely being on forest land when its nowhere near an actual wildfire, to me it is unwarranted.

I agree. It’s BS to completely restrict people from public land “just in case”. This is the second time this year the Stanislaus Forest has closed. I understand they’re taking extreme precaution for public safety, but what will they close the forest down for in the future? Maybe they will start implementing a permit system and limiting numbers. There’s no easy answer to any of this. Just too many damned people.

I understand thier reasoning behind it. I just don't understand closing entire forest lands that aren't on fire. I don't believe it should be a violation for merely being on forest land when its nowhere near an actual wildfire, to me it is unwarranted.
Maybe they are trying to just keep all the forest’s from burning up state wide? They are almost there now.

Screenshot_20200911-151138_Facebook.jpg

Jester

Give it till Tuesday a front is coming in...weak but still a front.

Hope you're right that this may open some of the NF, but i don't think it will help the fires too much. Therfore won't free up the resources needed to cover for possible new fires...

This deer season might be a bit of a bust. I only bought one B tag and shot a 3 point with my bow so I'm done but my wife, father in law, Dad and 2 of my kids have tags still..... 7 in all.

I feel the worst for a friend's Dad who drew a Marble Mtns bull tag with max points only to have the NF closed on opening day.

Evacuation orders or advisories clear out to HWY 36 north of Ruth Lake. Ouch. I don't see that area of Six Rivers NF opening up soon.

You can hunt private property in the National forest, For the rest of us peons our Governor Newsom will refund our deer tags with a Chinese Mask that we already paid for ?

Regs says no refunds..may be able to get points plus a point for premium hunt tags..rain is on the way to North state Friday.

“We know that hunting opportunities will be impacted throughout the state, but no hunting opportunity is worth a human life,” said Chief David Bess, Deputy Director and CDFW Law Enforcement Division Chief.

My G-1 tag is looking better all the time. It opens the end of October. If the deer aren't all burned up by then.

When back packing in the Marble Mountains deer would come in at night and eat the charcoal out of our fire pit. Shoo them away and they'd be back 20 minutes later.

Thanks, Walt. I hope everybody's season works out this year. Historically I haven't killed many bucks the first part of the B season on public land. Later when it rains is the best time to be out there.

What does everyone think this will do for the future deer herds? Because if the state reinstates points and tags are returned, then in my eyes there will be less deer killed by quiet a few this year in the premium zones giving the deer an extra year ago as well as more bucks to carry over. What’s everyone’s thought ?

What does everyone think this will do for the future deer herds? Because if the state reinstates points and tags are returned, then in my eyes there will be less deer killed by quiet a few this year in the premium zones giving the deer an extra year ago as well as more bucks to carry over. What’s everyone’s thought ?
If the NF stays closed and tags do get turned back its also going to fast track point creep too.

More feed for lions and bears , I posted a picture of a six pack of lions drinking water on a pond , two dead elk lion kills , they will not be many elk left and with only 2 tags the lions will be killing more than hunters

I’m just curious who and how they can enforce this? What violation is it? Or is it like the mask thing, where it’s just a scare tactic. Anyone have any insight?

The forest service employees are patrolling in my neck of the woods. They even had people posted on popular roads over the weekend turning vacationers around. I read it can be up to a $5,000 fine.

Back in the 80's when I worked for the Forest Service the Forest Service Law Enforcement Officers actively patrolled the forest when it was closed. Tickets were the equivalent to a trespass ticket. Not sure if it is different now.

I’m just curious who and how they can enforce this? What violation is it? Or is it like the mask thing, where it’s just a scare tactic. Anyone have any insight?
It's like the mask thing. They're only thinking of your safety and if there is even the slightest chance a hunter could start a fire they should shut the entire NF down.

It's funny how they can patrol for hunters but they can't see illegal grows right under their noses.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

California Guides & Outfitters

Western Wildlife Adventures

Offering some fine Blacktail Deer hunting, Wild Pig hunts, Turkey hunts and Waterfowl hunts.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer the top private land hunts in all of California, for blacktail deer, elk, pigs, bison and turkeys.

G & J Outdoors

Offering Tule elk hunts for bulls and cows on a 17,000 acre Ranch in Laytonville, CA with 100% success.

Back
Top Bottom