starter shotgun for 11 year old

alinrut

Not to jump on the earlier thread, but I've never ever owned a shotgun... my 11 year old is going to finish hunter education and I want to get us into bird hunting together. What is a good starter shotgun for him? I'll read the other thread to see what you recommend for an adult or you can add your two cents in here. Is there a good shotgun that will work for both me and the boy? I'm stuck at around 400 bucks for a budget, but am open to all suggestions for the wish list.

Take care all,
thanks for the advice in advance...

Al

remington 870 express youth....

JB
497fc2397b939f19.jpg

I started off with an old H&R 20 guage single shot. Taught me to make the first shot count, but you want something he could grow into. Hopefully he can fit into a Remington 870 Express in a 12 guage 2 3/4' shells to start off with, put a pad on the butt of the gun to absorb the kick. If you have to cut the stock to make it fit you can always get a new butt stock for it. It should be in your budget and you can purchase different choke tubes for different terrain/game requirements. Hope this helps.
WVBOWAK

I started mine out with an old single shot .410. Harvested his first turkey with it last April when he was 10. I bought him an 870 Express several years ago and I felt the recoil was pretty severe. No way I was going to let him start with that so I sold it. He is a pretty big kid and could handle it but I did not want him to develop a flinching problem.

+ 1 on the Rem 870 and I would suggest 20ga if you can get one. That is plenty of gun for a long time with less recoil than a bigger gun but more useful in the long run. Plus as your son grows a lesser gun like a 410 would just sit in the closet.

That is our plan for my Grandson the Rem 870 20ga.

)))).....>

thanks for the input from everyone. I found the Remington 870 in the 20 gauge for youth, and it does have the adjustable LOP. I found it at a very good price and am picking it up tomorrow. As a bonus, the wife wants to go out and shoot it on Saturday.

I think I'm on to something and this could get interesting!!!

Thanks again everyone

al

I know it is late, but I picked up an Weatherby sa08 for my 5 yr old(come on you all know your blaming your babies for your purchases too). Its a 20ga with a 26" barrel and syn. stock. The semi action helps to suck up some recoil. It is just barely six pounds so he can hold it and shoot it now. Pretty neat little gun.

Starting a new shooter with a .410 for wingshooting is the biggest disservice. The .410 is for a seasoned shooter. I'd go with a 20 gauge gun and use target loads as they have light recoil but can still deliver a decent payload for wing shooting. If the kid is not strong enough to safely handle the gun, the parent should wait until they are strong enough. That can be insentive to exercise and get stronger.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom