Starting a pup ?

Any suggestions on starting a pup to find sheds ?

start stashing some around your yard and let em hunt them up ,a little reward after finding and bringing the antler back to you gets them hooked, my black lab and her puppy have been both started that way and have done awesome finding sheds
DSC00763.JPG

Don't do it. The thrill of finding a shed is finding a shed where and how it was dropped. There's no human fun in watching your dog run up to you with one.

Keep em interested. Chucking bone and bringing it back. Fresh browns wash with warm water air dried away from human or everyday scents.

Seriously bury your sheds in brush or slightly underground with latex gloves and no sight finding. Period.

I run a pointing lab. He actually pointed a shed in Wyoming and found 9 in the dark on opening night.

If anyone has a good/great female I would really like to hook up.
My male is 7 and in his prime.
0B00C2D6-ED6C-435F-8C23-5A463C02B1EB.jpeg
0B00C2D6-ED6C-435F-8C23-5A463C02B1EB.jpeg

It can be rewarding and as someone else mentioned it can take away the thrill... if your dog has some smarts and a good nose it will come fairly easy to them...
ACC27A52-B8FE-4573-A39A-958EFA8E6110.jpeg

I am getting a lab pup this spring. From what I understand, to have a good shed hunting dog you want them to be obsessed with antlers. I have all my elk Euro mounts leaning up against the wall on the floor of my basement. Is it possible to have a shed dog and not have him destroy my Euro mounts if he is left unattended? Obviously when he is a pup I won't let him go down there.

My female loves shed hunting!! she picked it up really quick! i have a litter of red/yellow labs right now if anyone is interested.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom