starting point

ozzy49938

I have 12 points to use for Mule deer in Co. Looking for suggestions on an area to start my research. The area I was saving for has really fell off. I am not in need of a giant but would like a fair shot at 165ish. Would consider paying a trespass fee. Not really looking for a fully guided hunt.
Thanks for any suggestions to get me started.
Ozzy

Are you a backpacker? Will you be able to scout? You have an ATV?
Without knowing any details, I’d say there are quite a few 2nd season options for you. 165ish isn’t asking too much of many units. I’m not saying there’s a guarantee of 165ish, but there are bucks of that caliber in most units. The more limited the unit is, the more likely there’ll be a greater number of them.
If I were in your shoes with no other hunts, wanting to hunt this year, and needing to decide this moment, I’d probably do a 43 early or 44 2nd or maybe a high country muzz in 55, 66. A of course I’d plan to put in 15+ days scouting.
Everyone knows all those units. No secrets. Any of them could hold numerous 165ish and a few real studs.
Your situation might be much different than mine though.

With 3rd season dates basically being 4th season dates this year. Mid November you should have a very good chance of seeing some 165 type bucks in just about any decent unit. A 2nd season tag in some of the upper tier units could also be very good this year. Going to be a lot of solid bucks shot in Colorado this fall, or should I say winter.

Founder,
I can backpack but not really set up for a high country hunt. No scouting ahead of time. Besides on paper. I can get some ATV's to use if that would be a big help. Basically trying to limit my choices instead of just throwing a dart at a map. Lots of choices and trying to cash in on the 12 points. Thanks for all the suggestions from both of you so far.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom