State Land Access

I was at the meeting and he is hell-bent on kicking us off of state land. He is also considering SLO hunting concessions being auctioned to the highest bidder. IMO, this isn't about the money it is about power and control. The SLO collects $650 million in oil and gas fess so 2 million or $200,000 is pocket change. Here is another good read.
http://m.santafenewmexican.com/news...089-1362-547f-addd-d337f1c5a351.html?mode=jqm

We are really going to need to support the Commission on this one. It might mean we sit out a year and might require some legislation to pull in the powers of the State Land Commissioner but this is ridiculous.

I will admit this was expect but when Jim Lane worked for him I think it accelerated the process. This is a perfect example why federal lands shouldn't be transferred to the state.

What are we really talking about here, maybe a $5-$10 increase per permit? Is there some meaningful numbers somewhere that can be crunched?

Another slimy politician. I am sure he did not share this while he was campaigning for the position.

It certainly is a major move and a significant one that could have been adressed while running for office.

I hope hunters in this state have the political swing to end his political career.

Moezy it isn't that easy. It would need to go before the legislative session and be approved. Grazing leased were raised by 25% but Oil and Gas were not increasing.

Paul - He didn't outright share it but the writing was on the wall. I think you and I had a Facebook discussion on it...

Yeah this seems like something real shady is going on. So this is said to be in the name of education and yes it would add some money to education, but when you look at how much it would effect things we are looking at a minimal affect. There are around 198 high schools in New Mexico that is just high schools. If you include middle schools and elementary schools there are about 500 schools. So this will add about 60 teachers so we are talking about helping 1/3 of the high schools with one teacher not to mention middle and elementary and that is just level one teachers(the lowest salary). I think when you look at the gas and oil budget that could be made up in a heart beat and that is with companies that are actually making money. I don't see why you would take from the poor (NMDGF) to try to make this move. The NMDGF already needs more money to add more officers and other things that would help, instead of paying more for this deal.

I almost forgot to mention I am a TEACHER so you would think teacher money would be a good thing and it is, but screwing the sportsmen and NMDGF is not the way to do it. It actually pisses me off that this is being pushed in the name of education when it is becoming apparent that is political.

I knew there was a reason I was worried when a rancher got the State Land Commissioner.

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE, OCT. 8, 2015:
Department surveys hunters, anglers
about State Trust Land access

SANTA FE ? The Department of Game and Fish is conducting an email survey this week asking hunters and anglers their views about the value of access to State Trust Lands for hunting, fishing and trapping.

The survey asks license holders about how they use and how much they value access to State Trust Lands. It also reminds license holders of the State Land Office proposal to increase the current $200,000 annual lease fee to $1 million next year ? a five-fold increase. Hunters and anglers pay for the lease with their license fees.

Approximately 78,000 hunting and fishing license holders began receiving the survey by email Wednesday. Surveys were sent several thousand at a time, and all emails were expected to be delivered within the next five days. Emails contain a link to a survey site that, once clicked, will allow only that user to take the survey. It cannot be taken twice or forwarded to another party.

I'm still not seeing this as being a big deal. I want to know what the extra cost passed on to hunters will be. I very rarely go on to state lands, but I know of enough hunters that do, that I would be willing to pay a few extra $$ to keep them from crowding me on the Federal lands...

Now if we could just make whats-his-name go away instead, I see that as an acceptable solution as well.

I for one utilize State Land a LOT. Some of my best hunting has been on, or more to the point, through State Land. Losing access to that would change the way I hunt big time.

+ 1 RabidRattleSnake,
I really like this forum and I have nothing but positive dealings with everyone on here. We as members continue to discuss and dispute these types of topics that pose a serious danger to what we love. Not sure how or what road we need to take. But I really believe as sportsmen in the State Of New Mexico we need to come together to defend the core values we believe in, thereby keeping opportunities open for our children and their children. Would love to hear of some Ideas of how we as sportsmen could start this process before it's too late.

Jack

I think the key is that if we expect to find a perfect organization or a perfect political party we are never going to find it. We are going to need to take on each issue individually and fight like hell. We all new this was going to happen with Dunn but sportsmen supported him because of his coyote contests. I hope those that supported the contests stand up and be heard.

Also you might want to listen to the Randy Newberg(BigFin) Podcasts, he has some interesting ideas on these political issues.

I know that people have issues with the NMWF because they believe in the North American Model of Conservation but currently it is the only group that is fighting this and fighting for us. I recently quit my corporate job and know I work with Trout Unlimited and I representing our values as much as I can. I have taken hell for my stance on wolves and trapping from my supervisors and a few on the TU Council but we need to be heard and we need to have our ideas based on science not emotion...

SLM
You are absolutely right, the problem is that we need to wait for the political conditions to be right. For example, if we tried to pass a State Land Access bill right now it would get killed by the republicans in the legislature and probably not signed by the Gov.. When the dems are in power and control the commission we have to fight for things like Trapping and Predator issues.

There is no one right party. We are always going to be fighting that is why it is so important to be involved. We also need not to make sure that we vote the issue and not the party.

I took hell last year from a lot of people on this site when I said Dunn was going to do this. Look at where we are...

J

Please stayed tuned on this thread(I will post if I can) or follow my Jason "The New Mexico Sportsman" Amaro Facebook page. There was some more State Land craziness with two conflicting stories. The SLO is trying to put the Game and Fish Dept in a corner...

This is going to get ugly....

J-

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom