Staying warm ?

cbat

How do you guys stay warm on stand ? My feet get cold very easy and then I am done soon after.

Get a pair of Arctic Shield booties and drop a couple hand warmers in them, the stick on toe warmers work well too. The Arctic Shield booties are pretty cheap and with a hand warmer in each I've never had a problem.

My feet would get cold very easily as well. After foot surgery on each (unrelated to cold!), it got worse due to poorer circulation. What I used to do was toss a hand warmer in my boot, then after an hour or two, change it out for a hot one. That was a pain.

Then I tried the Artic Shield OVER my boots, with hand warmers, without much luck. Then I took my boots off, and put my foot, along with hand warmers, in the AS. Worked pretty good.

Last week in SD, it was 5 degrees, and my AS were still in TN. So, I put two toe warmers inside my first sock. Then 2 handwarmers inside my second sock, and a third sock over that - thick socks. And I stood on some cushions I had brought for sitting so the socks didn't get wet. So there I stood, 5 degrees, in my sock feet, and it worked!

The key to it is the handwarmers and toe warmers have to get oxygen to work. There's no oxygen in a boot, so you have to replace it with something that breathes. I've also used the felt liner from a Pac Boot, taking the PB off so the TW's and HW's can breathe.

I've considered the battery operated Thermacell(?) insoles, but they're a little pricey for something I'm not sure will work. Like the electric socks I bought years ago. Big waste of money!

Good luck!

I'm surprised you guys have had good luck with disposable handwarmers, I haven't. Like Joe2Kool said they have to have oxygen to work. I have put handwarmers that are supposed to last 10 hours in my coat pocket and they are cold in an hour. Not enough oxygen in the pocket. Take them out, shake them, leave them out a few minutes and put them back in.

One of the keys to keeping hands and feet warm is to keep your torso warm. When your torso gets cold your body withdraws the blood from the hands and feet to your torso to protect the vital organs. You may not even feel that cold but your body is starting to sense a problem.

Of course a good pair of Pac Boots help, with a good pair of wool socks and not too tight.

I agree with everything that Joe2Kool said. If you want to use the handwarmers then wear something that isn't air tight. You will gain more from the heat from the handwarmer than you will lose from the cold air infiltration. And you won't be the first person that ever sat in a deer stand with your house slippers on and boot covers.

I have used hand muffs with hand warmers that worked but they weren't air tight. Might be better to use a cheap muff than breathes better than a high cost gore-tex one that doesn't let much air in.

Here’s what they look like. They are cheap too. I bought my pair for 50 dollars. Used them musk ox hunting in. -30, snowmachining etc
2F0FE481-A5BD-421E-9997-989AD1EFECEA.jpeg

I can sit from 6 AM to 5PM and not get cold on a treestand, with a IWOM suit. Weather is usually 10 to 30 degrees.

IWOM XT is a basically a sleep bag with arms that is windproof and super warm. I put it on at the base of the ladderstand and start zipping up as i get colder. Been a gamechanger as far as sitting all day and not getting cold or using any handwarmers or anything.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Whitetail Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Whitetail Pros Guide Service

Southern Iowa and Missouri Private Land Whitetail Hunts. Rifle, Archery, Muzzleloader.

Antler Creek Whitetails

Archery hunt in Northeast Kansas. Rut and pre-rut, hunting from treestands and blinds.

Back
Top Bottom