Steak Night.

Blank

Long Time Member
Had seasoned up, and been aging some ribeyes for a week in the fridge. Tonight was the night. Meat, sweet corn, sautéed squash. Had some diced Hatch green chiles for the squash. While the water was boiling, I had time to whip some sweet finger cornbread. Sweet Tooth was born and raised up here in the Northwest, so not a big fan of cornbread. She calls these cornbread cookies, and they are the bomb!!

9F32413D-5C5E-4904-B903-A913658DB369_1_201_a.jpeg

51BB4BF3-0FDA-41A2-B992-67C3EE9F5F64_1_201_a.jpeg

Blank can you give us the recipe for the corn fritters I love those things with Chili been looking for a good recipe for them......

MM

These are more like cookies, than real fritters. Pretty sweet is the way the wife likes them. You could cut back on the sugar/honey a little, or change the ratio of flour/cornmeal to probably 1 cup/1 cup if you want. You can see in the picture I let the bottom get a little over-done.

Corn Bread Cookies (Sweet)
INGREDIENTS

• 1/2 cup (or 1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
  • 1/2 cup granulated sugar
  • 1/4 cup brown sugar
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1 large egg, room temperature
  • 2 teaspoons honey (optional)
  • 1 and 1/4 cup plain flour or all purpose flour
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 3/4 cup cornmeal
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
INSTRUCTIONS
  • Preheat oven to 350 F standard / 325 F convection (fan-forced). Line two cookie sheets with baking or parchment paper, or foil.
  • In a large mixing bowl, beat the butter and sugars together, until pale and creamy.
  • Add the vanilla, egg and honey and mix again until combined.
  • Sift in the flour and baking soda. Add the cornmeal and salt, and stir until combined. Should be thick enough to roll in a ball (kinda like a snickerdoodle recipe).
  • Roll balls of cookie dough using your hands, approximately 1 1/2 tablespoons each (or use a cookie dough scoop), and place on prepared trays. Space out, 'cause they will melt down a little.
  • Bake for approximately 12 minutes or until golden brown on the edges (will vary by oven and the size you make the balls).
  • Transfer to a wire rack to cool completely, so the bottom doesn’t get too overdone, and hard (they will continue to cook on a hot cookie sheet).

These are more like cookies, than real fritters. Pretty sweet is the way the wife likes them. You could cut back on the sugar/honey a little, or change the ratio of flour/cornmeal to probably 1 cup/1 cup if you want. You can see in the picture I let the bottom get a little over-done.

Corn Bread Cookies (Sweet)
INGREDIENTS

• 1/2 cup (or 1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
  • 1/2 cup granulated sugar
  • 1/4 cup brown sugar
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1 large egg, room temperature
  • 2 teaspoons honey (optional)
  • 1 and 1/4 cup plain flour or all purpose flour
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 3/4 cup cornmeal
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
INSTRUCTIONS
  • Preheat oven to 350 F standard / 325 F convection (fan-forced). Line two cookie sheets with baking or parchment paper, or foil.
  • In a large mixing bowl, beat the butter and sugars together, until pale and creamy.
  • Add the vanilla, egg and honey and mix again until combined.
  • Sift in the flour and baking soda. Add the cornmeal and salt, and stir until combined. Should be thick enough to roll in a ball (kinda like a snickerdoodle recipe).
  • Roll balls of cookie dough using your hands, approximately 1 1/2 tablespoons each (or use a cookie dough scoop), and place on prepared trays. Space out, 'cause they will melt down a little.
  • Bake for approximately 12 minutes or until golden brown on the edges (will vary by oven and the size you make the balls).
  • Transfer to a wire rack to cool completely, so the bottom doesn’t get too overdone, and hard (they will continue to cook on a hot cookie sheet).
Sweet I will try them this weekend Thanks Chef Blank!!!

I like to wet-age the steaks, if I can. I'm not set up to properly dry age any meat, and frankly, don't want to go to the time or effort. The other thing I like to do is dry them off, and let come up to room temp for a half hour to an hour, before cooking. Tongs instead of a fork, to keep juices from running out while cooking. Again, depends on your schedule and if the girls think their throats have been cut, and are sitting at the table asking "Is it ready yet??"

I season them, and place in plastic for the duration I am going to let them sit. 1-4 days for good tender-looking steaks, I am fine with just a Zip-Lock and squeeze all the air out (most important part). If they seem to be tougher cuts, like sirloin-round steak-petites-etc., I will vacuum pack and keep up to 10 days in the fridge. I think the vacuum really sucks the seasoning into the body of the meat. Sometimes, I will do that and freeze them seasoned. From reading, I think you have to age for 4-10 days before the collagens/fibers actually start to break down in tissue.

All of my deer/elk/antelope I cut up and wrap and freeze immediately after about 24 hours of hanging. Then I can wash, clean, and season each package, when I thaw them out and age in the fridge.

One word of caution about seasoning beforehand. My personal belief is to NEVER use salt in the seasoning, as it will draw the moisture out of the meat, and actually make it tougher. A lot of people use prepared seasonings, or Season-All which is high salt. I mix my own to our taste with smoked paprika, black pepper, garlic and onion POWDER, and a little cumin or red pepper flakes. I like them to be really juicy when I pull them off to rest.

CF758754-A236-4BF9-9CCC-360DB9AD74C5_1_201_a.jpeg

I bought one of these a while back. Works great on steaks, whether on the BBQ or on a grill pan. Of course, it also works on other foods such as chicken breasts or such as needed.

1627058396986.png

I like to wet-age the steaks, if I can. I'm not set up to properly dry age any meat, and frankly, don't want to go to the time or effort. The other thing I like to do is dry them off, and let come up to room temp for a half hour to an hour, before cooking. Tongs instead of a fork, to keep juices from running out while cooking. Again, depends on your schedule and if the girls think their throats have been cut, and are sitting at the table asking "Is it ready yet??"

I season them, and place in plastic for the duration I am going to let them sit. 1-4 days for good tender-looking steaks, I am fine with just a Zip-Lock and squeeze all the air out (most important part). If they seem to be tougher cuts, like sirloin-round steak-petites-etc., I will vacuum pack and keep up to 10 days in the fridge. I think the vacuum really sucks the seasoning into the body of the meat. Sometimes, I will do that and freeze them seasoned. From reading, I think you have to age for 4-10 days before the collagens/fibers actually start to break down in tissue.

All of my deer/elk/antelope I cut up and wrap and freeze immediately after about 24 hours of hanging. Then I can wash, clean, and season each package, when I thaw them out and age in the fridge.

One word of caution about seasoning beforehand. My personal belief is to NEVER use salt in the seasoning, as it will draw the moisture out of the meat, and actually make it tougher. A lot of people use prepared seasonings, or Season-All which is high salt. I mix my own to our taste with smoked paprika, black pepper, garlic and onion POWDER, and a little cumin or red pepper flakes. I like them to be really juicy when I pull them off to rest.

View attachment 47006

I prefer to wet age also. I always vacuum seal and age for a minimum of 2 weeks but like to go 4-6 weeks if I can. I usually flip the packages over every 3-4 days also.
I don’t season mine until I pull the meat out to cook it and let it rest 1-2 hours to get to room temp before cooking. I have found the salt to pull all the moisture just like you have. I may have to try mixing up some seasoning without the salt though.

It was indeed. The girls have decided to have all the left-overs for dinner tonight, so I'm free to make seafood!!!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom