Steens buck ?

manny53

Long Time Member
so i saw this buck posted on FB, stating steens and 2015, all we ever hear is oregon is done with producing big bucks and that may be but how do you deny the genetics of these deer...

Dude did you see this buck ?

9336148386256102184093218902143100976974806384640n.jpg

I don't think anyone denies that Oregon has good genetics in certain areas, it's the fact that there is not many deer anymore period. ODFW manages for opportunity and until that and other management practices change the deer will never come back and may actually be extinct in some units soon!!!!

That buck I'm sure was shot on private next to an alfalfa pivot like all the big Steens deer. A buck like that on public land in the Steens is like the second coming of Christ.

Lots of hunters wait 6 years for a Steens tag and shoot the first spike or forked horn they see opening day. Hard to grow big bucks when that is happening!

I have not seen or heard anything about that buck. but the buck's genetics and the background look as if it could be from the Steens.

Oregon can produce a big buck here and there. just today I scored a beautiful 191 net typical taken by a young gal just east of town. but that's the first book buck I've scored in years. they are very few and far between.

Stay Thirsty My Friends

Manny,

I don't know how old you are but I know a lot of young folks that state stuff like this because they don't know any better. Oregon Mule deer are in trouble like much of the west but even worst. As someone that was born in Redmond Oregon and have spent my whole life hunting all over the east half of the state it's pathetic. Sure a giant buck can show up now and then but by the ODFW's own statistics Oregon's mule deer population is less than half than what it was when I was a teenager in the early and mid 80's. Personally I think it's even worst than that. No one will do what it will take to bring them back which is a discussion that's been worn out on this sight.

However I still hunt because I love the land and am always looking for the needle in the haystack.

>Manny,
>
>I don't know how old you
>are but I know a
>lot of young folks that
>state stuff like this because
>they don't know any better.
>Oregon Mule deer are in
>trouble like much of the
>west but even worst. As
>someone that was born in
>Redmond Oregon and have spent
>my whole life hunting all
>over the east half of
>the state it's pathetic. Sure
>a giant buck can show
>up now and then but
>by the ODFW's own statistics
>Oregon's mule deer population is
>less than half than what
>it was when I was
>a teenager in the early
>and mid 80's. Personally I
>think it's even worst than
>that. No one will do
>what it will take to
>bring them back which is
>a discussion that's been worn
>out on this sight.
>
>However I still hunt because I
>love the land and am
>always looking for the needle
>in the haystack.

i have worn my knees down to the bone literally looking for a buck like that one, to no avail don't get me wrong i have taken some nice bucks, i just started building points again here in oregon, but i have hunted nevada, wyoming and colorado only seen two of that caliber but blew both stalks oh by the way i am 62.

That buck Manny posted was not taken on private. I believe a college student from one of the universities waylayed him. He was not visiting the alfalfa fields.

heres anther buck from oregon some guy from southern or. keeps posting these monsters on face book, ...

65780kirk.jpg

LAST EDITED ON Dec-25-18 AT 11:15AM (MST)[p]That photo from DEKirkland is Not a Oregon buck. Pretty sure it's a Utah buck.

Where I hunt, it has some big timbered moutains for bucks to get big. We have gotten a few, but we also shoot dinkers at the end like most to get some meat.

The Steen's buck that Manny posted was not shot on private land anywhere near alfalfa. I had a tag and was hunting the same time when this kid shot the buck. He worked with the wife of my hunting partner, so we got the full story and location. I'll just say that luck happens and from what I've been told he is a good kid.

Bucks like that are still around Oregon, but you will have to earn them, or get lucky. They are very few and far between. Oregon is In bad shape right now for mule deer

I was able to put my hands on this buck and it is a giant.
38-39" wide and around 240". The type of buck dreams are made of.
Moates-Muley-LR-Right.jpg

Moates-Muley-LR.jpg

Moates-Muley-LR-Left.jpg

Back
Top Bottom