Steens deer

6chukar

Anyone have a positive experience in the Steens in the last couple of years? I can’t wait to get up there and start poking around. Looks like badass country.

ricochet

I spend a lot of time in the Steens in November photographing mule deer so I see the best there is in the area. The gene pool is capable of producing some hogs but the overall numbers suck. Even the local game wardens couldn't find a decent buck to shoot last year, I'm told. But if you wear out some tires and lots of boot leather you may find something special.
_AAU5350-2.jpg
_AAU5708.jpg
_AAU7840-2.jpg
_AAU8153.jpg
_AAU8345.jpg

snowsheep

Hoping to see some positive feedback from you guys between your scouting and hunt. I am sitting on 19 points and held out this year.....planning on burning them on this hunt at some point.

6chukar

Awesome pics! I will have 4 days to scout and the entire season to hunt. I burned 13 points NR. Looking forward to seeing the country.

Send me a PM when you starting to scout. We had three tags there last year....and i would hunt it totally different than I did then. My nephew has the tag this year

bullskin

Consider how best to avoid the gaggle of geeks before you arrive. Every millennial in Seattle is camped on or near the mountain, with adventure vans parked in every wide spot along the road. If what I observed on the Pueblos is any indication, the deer are lying very low.

Last edited:

ricochet

Get a map that shows private land and assume that any "road" that enters private will be locked. Not always the case but you can waste a lot of time bouncing off of locked gates trying to reach an area of public land.
_AAR4322-5.jpg

ricochet

Consider how best to avoid the gaggle of geeks before you arrive. Every millennial in Seattle is camped on or near the mountain, with adventure vans parked in every wide spot along the road. If what I observed on the Pueblos is any indication, the deer are lying very low.
Amen to that. That country attracts crazies. Was up there in June two years ago and at the top of Steens Mountain, right before you get to the radio towers, someone had packed their camp right up to the very edge and set up a cabin tent. I believe they have clocked winds up there in excess of 100 mph, and these geniuses put their tent within 40-50 feet of a 4000+ ft. drop. o_O Darwin still has work to do.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Top Bottom