Still looking, unit 21 second season experience

Elkhunter96

Very Active Member
LAST EDITED ON Jan-21-13 AT 09:12AM (MST)[p]What are your experiences and thoughts on unit 21 second season? I would like to have a shot to kill a mature buck. Actual bc store is not as important as there being mature bucks to chase...

And yes, I have spent hours pouring over DOW reports, magazines, etc. I have a list of elk and deer units to try out or research more, but it is a daunting task when a person has somewhat limited time to scout due to family/work commitments.

21 2ns season is a mixed bag... There are several factors to consider. Hunting Pressure... That unit has been getting more and more pressure. Mostly the influx is elk hunters, but you will still be up against a good amount of deer hunters as well.

Also the deer are hard to hunt that time of year. They get into some very steep nasty transition country that is thick. Mix that in with the private land and hunting for a mature buck can be a challenge. Majority of deer tend to summer pretty high, 2nd season they will start to drop. From my experience when they drop they tend to end up more on private land in 21 for a while then eventually end up on lower BLM lands later. This is not true for all deer in the unit, but does seem to occur in the areas I have experience with.

I also think that a person should be able to find a good buck during 2nd season if they hunt hard and get some help from the weather. 2nd season is prior to the rut, the big bucks will be scattered in little groups and most seem to be very nocturnal from when they scrap velvet off until the rut.

Chances of finding a mature buck are decent, but all units are lacking a lot of mature bucks at this time. The winter of 07 really hit the units hard here and we are just now seeing an upswing in mature animals...

Most of the good hunting for second season is private land. In the areas that are not, you get 10 foot tall oak brush. I tried this hunt once, and we quickly ended up with nowhere to hunt. I don't know how it happened, but all the transition land is private. I guess because it's the best land to work with for a rancher.

there are thousands of acres of land to hunt deer.from douglis pass to rangely.with it being so dry and the lack of water,thats where you need to do your homework.find the water sources.2 mile radius and you,ll see deer.the longer you can hold out shooting the small bucks,your chances of a mature buck increases.they will be sitting above the does waitting for one to breed. if you want a 200" buck then there are several ranches butting up to douglis and baxter pass that could help you out.pricy, 8,000. or 10,000. if you want more help,just call, 303-588-5638. Dale

I wouldn't pass a 200 buck if I saw one. But, I would be happy with a mature 160+ buck. To me, I want a hunt where I see a lot of deer, pass a lot until I can find one that I like. I like heavy, mature bucks even if they do not score well.

I have hunted the Utah side of the books, so I am familiar with the terrain. I am almost tempted to archery hunt 21. I know that is the best hunt on the Utah side...

A 160 buck is a reasonable score goal for the unit with a small chance at getting a 180" but its not impossible if you are in the right place at the right time.

The hunt doesn't get good until the last weekend. Don't be quick to shoot a 160" but don't be dissapointed if you don't get a buck because you did.

It is a tough unit sometimes. Here lately, more often then not.

A mature buck is no problem. There are a lot of 4.5 year old deer that are crabby or three points that will not go 160"..

Finding a 3.5 year old buck on the last day should not be a problem.

Good luck,

Todd

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom