Stink

T

ThatsMrsHunter2U

What have you done to cover your scent? How far have you gone? What have you learned DOES NOT work?

Hunting is serious business, like football!

Well MrsHunter!

This might not go over so Well!

But I'll try & SPLAIN it to you!

Many,Many,Many Things don't Work!

When I'm Elk Hunting I find where a Cow Elk has took a Whizz!

I Smear that Sweet Smelling Muddy Stuff all over me!

You might say I STANK!

But I've been known to pull a Bull or two in!

Last Year in a Bright Orange Shirt with the Sun Shinning directly on me I pulled a Bull in at 7 Yards!

He Locked up at 7 Yards!

About a 315" 6X6 PISSCUTTER!

He'll be Bigger this year!

Damn I musta smelled Good!:D

[font color="red"]From My Smokin Cherry Red Hot Barrel & My Dead Cold Hands I Shall go down Fighting for American Pride & Rights!
I Know I'm Out Numbered by Pusssies & Brainwashed Democrats that'll Throw Their Hands in the air & I know I can't Lick the U.S. Military by Myself when they Turn on us but I'll make
you one Guarantee,They'll be Enduring a Situation where I Hope to Hell All Americans become True Americans once again & Stand up for their Rights!

I use to use earth scent wafers in my tote that smelled like dirt that worked well. Being from Kansas I've been known to step in fresh cow crap to cover any scent on my boots and it worked well also. Now I use final step cover scents and it works really well and they make scents that work well in the western states also.

I don't attempt to do anything with my scent when hunting the mountains, except try to keep the wind in my favor. After 6+ miles going up and down not much going to cover up the smell of my sweat..

Mntman

"Hunting is where you prove yourself"

>wah wah wah......
a certain individuals response on 8/12/2014 to anyone that commits suicide.
http://www.monstermuleys.info/dcforum/DCForumID11/19864.html
There are many things that would be nice to wish for or say but then I would be just like him.

I use "speed stick" in nonscented, wash my hair with cheap coconut scented shampoo and use coconut body wash.....every day.
Oh, and I try to stay down wind while hunting because like Mntman said, after you've done all that hiking there will be sweat somewhere!!!!
Zeke

We have had excellent results washing cloths and bathing in scent elimination products and using Scent-Lok gear. Changed the way we hunt. We still watch the wind but if you de-scent everything including boots, pack , bow, arrows it works for us. We soak our gear in scent-killer spray and reapply in the field every 3 to 4 days. We can even do a stalk in any direction and the only thing that busts us is movement. We have elk and deer almost step'n on us every year....we go with scent elimination rather than the cover scents......I like the cow urine deal though....got to say I would take advantage of that type of cover scent if I found some while hunting........I don't believe much in that stuff you buy in a bottle...:)

We like the original Wildlife Research, Scent -Killer Spray and Hunter Specialty Products......They last a lot longer that that stuff in the Orange bottles:)...I think a bunch of has to do with the products that are natural ingredients tend to break down much faster than the products we use. Better hunting through chemistry:)

You have to be diligent about descending as well as what type food and snacks you carry on your hunt....doesn't do much good to go through all that effort then take salami, cheese , or tuna or similar items that give off scents or leave odors on your breath etc....that happens a lot then guys say Scent-Lok gear or the sprays don't work.....They work if you do it right and don't expose your cloths or gear to food odors in camp, bag'm and put them on when your ready do hunt, get back to camp re-bag them including boots. If we backpack hunt then it's cloths stay on but no fires or anything with odors just us the game and some mountain house grub:)

))))------->

Eat some Garlic & Onion sandwiches and then go hunting.....works all the time.

Brian
http://i44.tinypic.com/es7x8z.jpg[/IMG]

>Eat some Garlic & Onion sandwiches
>and then go hunting.....works all
>the time.
>
>Brian
>http://i44.tinypic.com/es7x8z.jpg[/IMG]

Now there's a Samich I don't think I could Handle!:D

[font color="red"]From My Smokin Cherry Red Hot Barrel & My Dead Cold Hands I Shall go down Fighting for American Pride & Rights!
I Know I'm Out Numbered by Pusssies & Brainwashed Democrats that'll Throw Their Hands in the air & I know I can't Lick the U.S. Military by Myself when they Turn on us but I'll make
you one Guarantee,They'll be Enduring a Situation where I Hope to Hell All Americans become True Americans once again & Stand up for their Rights!

I've packed my clothes in a plastic bag with sagebrush. I love the smell of that stuff but my wife hates it. She didn't want me keeping it in the house. It's pretty strong and my clothes at least smelled like the area I was hunting.

When I kill a bull I skin the hide with the dark patch of hair on his belly , which is saturated in urine. I roll it up and put it in a gallon Zip Loc freezer bag, put it in your pack and take it home and throw it in the freezer. Take it out the following year, thaw it out and rub it all over your boots, pants, it definatley covers up the human scent.

I know it sounds EXTREME, but it has worked for me for many years! The bulls continue to hit the dirt, year after year. Your buddies continue to complain about how you stink, but you can sit back and enjoy a cold one while they continue to hunt!

Mike

LAST EDITED ON Aug-21-14 AT 11:44PM (MST)[p]....apparently bulls aren't afraid of coconuts????....and no doubt they can hear mtnman blowing his own horn well before he gets close enough for them to smell him....

6372image.jpg

I'll rub down my pants and boots with sagebrush or evergreens, whatever is growing in the area. Seems to work pretty well.

If you understood how the nose of a deer worked then you'd know nothing really works it's all just a gimmick and ploy to get hunters to buy unnecessary products.

When a human smells a hamburger, it smells like a hamburger. If a deer were to smell a burger he'd smell, wheat, salt, nest, spices, tomato, lettuce, mayo, mustard......... You get the point.

I don't use anything sent wise. A deer smells scent products and the hundreds of smells that make up "human" smell. Your best best on scent blocking technology is wind.

>If you understood how the nose
>of a deer worked then
>you'd know nothing really works
>it's all just a gimmick
>and ploy to get hunters
>to buy unnecessary products.
>
>When a human smells a hamburger,
>it smells like a hamburger.
>If a deer were to
>smell a burger he'd smell,
>wheat, salt, nest, spices, tomato,
>lettuce, mayo, mustard......... You get
>the point.
>
>
>I don't use anything sent wise.
>A deer smells scent products
>and the hundreds of smells
>that make up "human" smell.
>Your best best on scent
>blocking technology is wind.

+1

Here's the ticket. The next time you shoot a bull elk, cut that weiner patch of skin and fur off. You know, right where his junk pops out. Put some Borax or other preservative on the uncleaned skin side and dry it out. Then vacuum seal it.

The next year, pin it to yer backpack. Won't matter if yer BO is running wild or other feminine scents are a going, any bull around will smell that other bull and go ballistic. You may even have to climb a tree to get out of the way.

An old nutty wise man told me that trick...

Bottom line...scent is hard to control, and you can never control it all. One useful tip that I employ, is to put a couple of handful of sagebrush in a sock, zip-tie it and throw it in the wash and dryer with my clothes. This does a good job - at least for the first 5 minutes until I start sweating. +1 on using what nature provides. My wife doesn't like it, but the animals do.

So MrsHunter?

Who's Battle Plan you trying first?:D

I am going to hold off on the really gross ones, like tacking male parts to my stuff. Not mostly because I don't have a kill to do that with though. The urine thing sounds like torture too.

I'm going with that high-tech wind suggestion, and sagebrush I guess. The darn wind just shifts so much. Ergh!!!

I'm tellin ya it Works!:D

Don't waste elk nutz for scent control, have your taxidermist fix them up for you so you can hang them off the receiver hitch of your truck that way you got the real thing instead of those fake rubber ones. Also, you can tell everyone that is what will happen to the next guy that crosses you... lol

Mntman

>wah wah wah......
There are many things that would be nice to wish for or say but then I would be just like him.

One more thing MrsHunter!

Ya see!

MrHunter didn't include all the Secrets in the Prenumpt!:D

Men/hunters are some of the Most Disgusting Creatures on Earth!

Most Good Hunters are very Secretive!

Sometimes they do what's gotta be done even if it Requires wearing the Perfume!:D

I normally wouldn't have mentioned the Elk Whizz,but you asked & since you're new to the Sport and a Lady I decided I'd let you know what works for me!

It Ain't for everybody!:D

Good Luck!

Hoping to see a Pic or two!

OK MrsHunter!

A Question?

Did MrHunter ever Play you this Song?:D:D:D

LAST EDITED ON Aug-22-14 AT 10:31PM (MST)[p]

>LAST EDITED ON Aug-22-14
>AT 10:31?PM (MST)

>
>
>
>
>
>Hunting is serious business, like football!
>

Come on MrsHunter!

EDIT?

I can Handle anything you throw at me!:D

>I am going to hold off
>on the really gross ones,
>like tacking male parts to
>my stuff. Not mostly because
>I don't have a kill
>to do that with though.
>The urine thing sounds like
>torture too.
>
>I'm going with that high-tech wind
>suggestion, and sagebrush I guess.
>The darn wind just shifts
>so much. Ergh!!!
>
>
>

There's a softball in there I could hit a long way!

1. Being winded is the most important. I suspect if the elk smell bacon, etc., or any other human generated scent, no matter what it is covered with, they will be looking to move.

There is a reason why SpecOps guys eat food of whatever country they are going to be working in. Urine smells differently because of the chemicals involved in food products digested and passed along via poo/pee. While humans can't tell the differences, dogs can; hence the reason for dietary considerations.

I am guessing the elk pee from a farm raised elk will from Wisconsin will smell a lot different than that of a cow from southern Colorado. Will it make a difference? I dunno, but, I prefer to localize my clothing with dirt/pee/poo...whatever is local to my unit...instead of covering myself with store bought scent.

My clothes go outside for storage from beginning to end of hunt. I hang them in a tree and stuff pine boughs, deer/elk turds in the pockets, etc. Anything local.

I do clean myself religiously with scent remover stuff for about a week before the trip, then use unscented body wipes while at camp.

Like the other guys, if I come across a freshly killed deer/elk, I will use whatever I can to apply that scent to me.

Now, those scent wafers do have a purpose. They can fit through the tiniest of cracks in your neighbors car window...say, Elkasssss, where is it that you live?

EASY there feddoc!

Or I'll pour a couple ounces of High Mountain Perfume on the Drivers seat of your New STROKER!

You'll be the STANKINEST Government Employee that works for Obama!:D

While it's true you can NEVER eliminate or cover all of your human scent, you certainly can lessen it to the point that it doesn't smell like immediate danger. You smell too far away or too long ago for the animals to be concerned.

You realize you don't need cover sent if you watch the wind. For instance the first day of the archery hunt I made 4 stocks and got to within 10-40 yards of 4 bucks without any cover scent I just watched the wind. Two of the bucks I was thinking about shooting and pulled back and decided I didn't like them, the other two were spikes and I wanted to see if not having cover scent would spook them.

?If men were angels, no government would be
necessary.? John Adams

>You realize you don't need cover
>sent if you watch the
>wind. For instance the first
>day of the archery hunt
>I made 4 stocks and
>got to within 10-40 yards
>of 4 bucks without any
>cover scent I just watched
>the wind. Two of the
>bucks I was thinking about
>shooting and pulled back and
>decided I didn't like them,
>the other two were spikes
>and I wanted to see
>if not having cover scent
>would spook them.
>
>?If men were angels, no government
>would be
>necessary.? John Adams

You may watch the wind, but most of the time the wind doesn't watch you! It doesn't care what you're doing and will dance, swirl, switch directions, stop, speed up, downdraft and/or updraft just 'cause it wants to!

I have seen the test where they tested all sorts of scent blockers to no scent blockers against dogs. None of it worked any better than the others. Granted I think a dogs nose is about the best on earth but it didn't slow them down one bit. It's all about wind.

Thank you everyone for your responses. Well, the helpful ones at least. :) I am learning that the wind is the key. And I agree with ElkFromAbove, that wind changes directions constantly.

Do you think a swirly wind or no wind is better? The swirly wind will move your scent around, but no wind...does it just move your scent out to all directions?

LAST EDITED ON Aug-28-14 AT 09:49AM (MST)[p]>I don't attempt to do anything
>with my scent when hunting
>the mountains, except try to
>keep the wind in my
>favor. After 6+ miles going
>up and down not much
>going to cover up the
>smell of my sweat..
>
>Mntman
>
What he said.

>Thank you everyone for your responses.
>Well, the helpful ones at
>least. :) I am learning
>that the wind is the
>key. And I agree with
>ElkFromAbove, that wind changes directions
>constantly.
>
>Do you think a swirly wind
>or no wind is better?
>The swirly wind will move
>your scent around, but no
>wind...does it just move your
>scent out to all directions?
>
>
>

When in the mountains, there is ALWAYS wind. If the actual wind is calm, then there are the non-stop thermals. I like it when dealing with just the thermals, they are very predictable. Wind in the mountains when blowing is basically a constant swirl due to the terrain.

Mntman

>wah wah wah......

I like all the posts. I wash my clothes in scent free and from then on I use either pine, sagebrush or dirt scent and a wind detector (talc). Use the wind.

>Thank you everyone for your responses.
>Well, the helpful ones at
>least. :) I am learning
>that the wind is the
>key. And I agree with
>ElkFromAbove, that wind changes directions
>constantly.
>
>Do you think a swirly wind
>or no wind is better?
>The swirly wind will move
>your scent around, but no
>wind...does it just move your
>scent out to all directions?
>
>
>

Hey MrsHunter?

Check your PM!

I have used very little in the way of sent control and have found that it has rarely been an issue. I do rub some sage and smelly what is available if i'm concerned that my sent might wreck a hunt. If i were more of a Elk hunter or a Archer where close in work is required, that would be something else again.

I remember a time that i was slowly working along a deer trail thru a oaked up shaded north slope when i spotted a young buck coming toward me. I was archery hunting, was somewhat camo'd up but more importantly, i had a full camo head net on. I squatted next to the trail, the young buck kept coming, and he decided to rub some of his velvet off on me! Less than a yard away, he thought i was a bush! lol

Joey

"It's all about knowing what your firearms practical limitations are and combining that with your own personal limitations!"

>I have used very little in
>the way of sent control
>and have found that it
>has rarely been an issue.
>I do rub some sage
>and smelly what is available
>if i'm concerned that my
>sent might wreck a hunt.
>If i were more of
>a Elk hunter or a
>Archer where close in work
>is required, that would be
>something else again.
>
>I remember a time that i
>was slowly working along a
>deer trail thru a oaked
>up shaded north slope when
>i spotted a young buck
>coming toward me. I was
>archery hunting, was somewhat camo'd
>up but more importantly, i
>had a full camo head
>net on. I squatted next
>to the trail, the young
>buck kept coming, and he
>decided to rub some of
>his velvet off on me!
>Less than a yard away,
>he thought i was a
>bush! lol
>
>Joey
>
>
>"It's all about knowing what your
>firearms practical limitations are and
>combining that with your own
>personal limitations!"

Funny, funny story! I am talking archery. I had a buck sniff me out I now I am paranoid.
Been hunting ten days now, no luck. Just that missed shot on day two. :(

Missed Shot?

(((RAZZIN Ya!!!)))

"Funny, funny story! I am talking archery. I had a buck sniff me out I now I am paranoid. Been hunting ten days now, no luck. Just that missed shot on day two."

Thank You! Old saying, "if it were easy, it wouldn't be hunting"

My best advice; plan a good sneak, take it easy, slow it way down, take care of business when you get the chance, then you can get excited. It never hurts to have a bit of luck on any hunt, i wish you yours!

Joey

"It's all about knowing what your firearms practical limitations are and combining that with your own personal limitations!"

I think that clean clothes and body can make a difference, but my experience is that the wind is 95% of it and I don't get too uptight about the rest. The wind--whether because of its nature or my lack of care--has and no doubt will cost me a few animals, but I figure its part of hunting and working the wind is just part of the game. Adds a dimension to the fun.

Call me crazy but do an Indian dance in smoke from green sage or green pine. With some good scent blocker clothes that can cover every inch of your body like a suit. Keep them in your pack until you are done hiking and sweating and are dry. Use green sage as deodorant and hair scrub. Do not breathe out your mouth and use a good scent attractant. Elk are stupid compared to deer. If it's a smart old buck you are after... The wind is your only hope."Never argue with an idiot. They will bring you
down to their level and beat you with experience."

Unless there is a prevailing wind, I try and hunt sidehill. Thermals change constantly when the sun is in the sky (cloud goes across the sun and the thermal will shift). Hunting sidehill, you can at least cut down on thermal shift.

That said, that time up day when the sun hasn't risen yet, or has set, are pretty consistent thermal times.

txhunter58

venor, ergo sum (I hunt, therefore I am)

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom