Stinky Pronghorn

fallguy

I got my pronghorn buck back from my taxidermist - looks good but smells like it did when it was just killed. Especially in the area of the cheek patches. I took it back and the taxidermist agreed it really smelled - not a rotten smell just normal antelope smell. He worked on it and tried deodorizing and I hung back up at the house. Well the deodorizer wore off and now I have a stinky antelope again. You can smell it from 15 feet away.

The only thing I can think off is that he didn't properly flesh the oil glands in the cheeks. He says he did when I questioned it. So the question is, what do you think the reason is that this goat smells like it did when I first wrapped my hands around his horns last fall?

You need to flesh out those glands about the size of a softball. They are huge. Maybe he just removed the size of the black patch and that is why it still stinks.

The smell is coming from the patch area not the horn. Two different smells. Horns smell rotten and scent glands well smell like stinky pronghorn

You and him should be talking to the guy that tanned it unless he does it himself. A good tannerey would never let that kind of thing slide. don't always blame the taxi!
37205hornkiller.jpg

It's not the tannery's responsibility to remove the scent glands. Most tannery's won't even flesh that area because it should be fleshed down to the hair roots by the taxidermist. That's his job.

I had a dall sheep mounted by a taxidermist and the neck area smelled horrible. Unfortunately I live 300 miles from the taxidermist. He told me to lightly squirt scent killer in the area. I did this several times and the smell finally disappeared. It may be worth a try?

Hornkiller, what "good" tannery shaves down to the hair roots? I suppose your good tannery' will also remove the blood stains from the straw like hair of a pronghorn! Pronghorn are like no animal on earth, the Taxidermist must remove the scent glands and wash the cape BEFORE it goes to the tannery. If you fail to do this then you must live with the results of stinky smell and blood stained brown hair that should be white.

Ive been around taxidermy over 30 years. yes I've preped/salted capes ready for the tanner alot of them! Ive also took a bunch straight there with blood and meat on them. like i said a good tanner will never let that kind of thing slide. Not every taxidermist preps fleshes turns lips and eyes scent glands ect. All im saying is if the taxi dont do it a good tanner will. seen it my whole life bud!
37205hornkiller.jpg

At the end of the day weather you do your job or have someone else do it the end result is the responsibility of the TAXIDERMIST. Good luck explaining to your clients that it's the tannery fault.

>At the end of the day
>weather you do your job
>or have someone else do
>it the end result is
>the responsibility of the TAXIDERMIST.
>Good luck explaining to your
>clients that it's the tannery
>fault.

Bow, I have to agree with Horn on this one. A good tanner will know the the scent gland on antelope requires their attention. Most all of them print out in their price list the probability of extra charges if fleshing is required prior to tanning.

That being said, I always either shave or cross hatch cut the gland so salt will penetrate for certain. I haven't had a problem yet from several tanners over 20 years.

I am not a taxidermist, not a tannery, just a customer.....if my taxidermist mounts my cape with scent glands or remains thereof still stinking than it is on him. He should not mount it that way. I do not give a crap whose fault it was. I am selecting a taxidermist and paying him, not a tannery.

Mike Henne

Your money still goes to the tanner! Some horror stories out there of taxis using cheep tannerys to save a few buck and losing all sorts of capes. including life size sheep! Ever priced one of those?
37205hornkiller.jpg

LAST EDITED ON Jun-04-18 AT 10:45PM (MST)[p]Yes the customer's money goes to the tannery to TANN. Not to remove scent glands. If the scent glands are not removed before the tanning process then it's too late. Shaving down a tanned cape with the glands still there is like wiping your ass after you pull up your britches when you take a crap! LOL

Lmfao and a tanner tanning a hide with the scent glands still inn is the same thing. Like i said a good tanner would never let that slide! You want a couple numbers? They would be happy to remove them for any taxidermist.
37205hornkiller.jpg

Hornkiller, I get where you are coming from if you send the tannery a RAW cape and they are doing the green fleshing then Yes they should remove the glands. This guy probably sent them a salted cape. I'm not aware if the tannery would hydrate a salted cape and inspect it to see if the glands were removed. Before throwing it into the pickle.

>Ive been around taxidermy over 30
>years. yes I've preped/salted capes
>ready for the tanner alot
>of them! Ive also took
>a bunch straight there with
>blood and meat on them.
>like i said a good
>tanner will never let that
>kind of thing slide. Not
>every taxidermist preps fleshes turns
>lips and eyes scent glands
>ect. All im saying is
>if the taxi dont do
>it a good tanner will.
>seen it my whole life
>bud!
37205hornkiller.jpg

If the taxidermist doesn't turn ears, lips and eye lids he ain't much of a taxidermist.
PB

There hasn't been much on this post other than complaints about taxidermists doing a horrible job. In regard to the original question....you may want to try spraying scent killer on the antelope several times before giving up and trying another cape. It may take spraying several times but may work?

It's the job of the Taxidermist not the tannery period. The customer takes his raw/ green cape to the taxidermist, the taxidermists sends to tannery.

I wish all my mounted pronghorn still stunk.....it might keep my wife out of my mancave........

497fc2397b939f19.jpg

LOL!

I know so many people in so many places
They make allot of money but they got sad faces

It Ain't Easy being Me!:D:D:D

Homer Your The Man!
LOL!

Joe

"Sometimes you do things wrong for so long you
think their right" - 2001
"I can't argue with honesty" - 2005
-Joe E Sikora