Stirring The Pot 8X vs 10X

vichris

Let me preface this with a little of my background.
I have 5 years experince as an optician (lab and dispensing)

I was a US navy Opticalman for 4 years went to tech schools in both Great Lakes Il and New london CT. Serviced thousands of pairs of binoculars, hundereds of periscopes, lots and lots of telescopes, numerous navigational instruments.

4 years experience servicing opthalmic intruments (eyedoctors equipments) microscopes, astonomical telescopes, and tons of binoculars.

2 years experience in laser optics

As a side note. When I was involved with astonomical telescopes and astronomical optics we had a little joke about newbies just getting into astronomy. The joke was about amateur astronomers obsession with power. Always the question "what power is this". People who spend their live working with optics know what I'm talking about. Power is way overrated.

So here's my question to you all........

WHY....WHY ....WHY.. do so many of you guys who are obviously pretty damn intelligent carry around 10X binoculars? My guess is that you have fallen prey to a marketing strategy.

I've got a slew of reasons most hunters (especially bow hunters) should be carrying 7X, 8X, 8.5X, or maybe even 9X binos.

I've already heard most of the reasons but most of them fall under that amateur astronomer joke.

I'll post the reasons lower power (8X)are better suited for 99.5% of hunting situations after I hear from you all.

...mostly because 10X42s was what the dude making me a sweet wholesale deal on a pair of Swarovskis had available... :)

And no, they weren't hot...

LAST EDITED ON Nov-04-08 AT 07:26PM (MST)[p]For coues that is why! 10x50's and they are not the best! I agree to a certain extent that 8x's are great especially in more tight quarters. Now call me a fool all you want!

Field of view...the more the better for me...a little better light at dusk in the 8x's...I use EL 10 x 42 swarovski and usually glass 500 yrds average. Best Bino's I own.

I have yet to be in a situation where my 10x42 Geovids were not good enough at low light to allow me to see something. I also have not had an issue with the FOV being too small. The same goes for my rifle scopes.

Fan of high magnification

LAST EDITED ON Nov-05-08 AT 06:45PM (MST)[p]My rifle scope is 24x...you can see your heartbeat in the thing..I wouldn't trade it for 5 3x9s if they were given to me!

Also if you ever hunt deer in canyons that are a mile wide...you will be glad you have the power to spot without a spotting scope...Man I hate lugging that spotter. After a few miles of hiking, I learn quick to lightn up the ole pack.

I'm still looking forward to your thoughts on this vichris.

I doubt I'll ever give up my 10X42s, but maybe I'd be willing to invest in a lower powered pair that might be more suitable for a particular hunting condition...

8x works great for me! I really like the extra light gathering capabilities. There are times I would like more magnification, but a scope works for that. I also like how fast 8x's are for acquiring your target quickly. Just my .02.

8x to 10x is hardly worth a debate...and inn the New Mexico forum? Take it to utah, those guys love to debate.

10x-12x. NM is extremely open and long distance viewing is often necessary. I've sat next to other hunters with 8x bino's that couldn't see the "legal fork" while I could. Also, Nikon, bushnell, swarovski and others offer 10x42 and 12x42 that are nearly equal in weight and size as the 8x42. why not get the added magnifcation? It's helped me numerous times and I don't mind the added bulk.

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom