Stress from extended hunting seasons

Do extended hunting season hurt overall herd health?

• Yes

Votes: 66 77.6%
  • No

Votes: 10 11.8%
  • A small amount of harm but it isn't very significant

Votes: 9 10.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

BrianID

Very Active Member
I thought this would be an interesting topic to debate.

How many of you believe having hunting seasons from August to December across many areas in western states is hurting the deer herds due to stress?

For example, does and fawns are being stressed enough by hunters "bumping" them multiple times during the fall so they are not feeding as much. As a result they don't put on as much weight as they would otherwise so they are less likely to do as well during the winter.

Is anyone aware of any studies done on mule deer that would provide evidence for their beliefs?

I think the proof is in the pudding. Look at the status of every herd and tell me that constant pressure doesn't effect them negatively. This can't be attributed to only hunters as there has been an enormous increase in all things outdoor recreation.

No doubt about it. Shed hunters start in February, then it’s on to trail cams, hikers, bikers, scouting and all the other recreation until the archery starts, then it’s non stop hunting of one thing or another through January.
That doesn’t leave a whole lot of time off for the animals.

This is a little off topic (elk) but an interesting ongoing study nonetheless.

My son had a cow elk hunt on Deseret L&L two years ago and a grad student at U of U is doing a study on their property (large enough ranch to be able to have control and test hunting areas).

There are a set number of GPS collared cows in each group and every hunter carries a GPS transmitter afield.

The study design is to compare the GPS'd cows in the hunted group with the control group and assess mobility and correlate with calf production with the only variable being hunter pressure .

Not published yet but when it is it'll put an real world number on this discussion.

Utahlefty,

That would be an interesting study to read. Multiple studies show that elk will put more distance between them and human disturbance (roads, trails, easy access, etc) than mule deer do.

Deer are hunted 24/7/365 by predator's. Humans by nature are much too stinky and noisy to startle deer in general. They either stand and let them pass or quietly move out of their way.

And while elk are more bothered they to adapt to traffic too. Any more they don't get away from the sound and smell of humans. They just get better to avoiding them.

Utahlefty,

That would be an interesting study to read. Multiple studies show that elk will put more distance between them and human disturbance (roads, trails, easy access, etc) than mule deer do.
I'll have to inquire as to whether they've published yet. I haven't seen anything through DWR channels but I'm sure Scott McFarlane would know.

BRIAN ID ,you better throw in HORN hunting into this picture,You want to talk about stress,I have watched guys wait for Deer and Elk with there spotting gear to drop an antler and they are right on them in most cases chasing the animals from a hard winters struggle all over the mountain,I see no ETHICS in this sport and in my opinion it should not be allowed until the first of June!Just my opinion.

I see a strong majority of votes in the “yes” category. There are also several replies explaining reasons for the yes votes.
What I don’t see are any explanations for the no votes.
I’m not trying to stir any argument here but I’m curious about those who have cast a “no” vote, why you don’t think long seasons don’t an impact.

I see a strong majority of votes in the “yes” category. There are also several replies explaining reasons for the yes votes.
What I don’t see are any explanations for the no votes.
I’m not trying to stir any argument here but I’m curious about those who have cast a “no” vote, why you don’t think long seasons don’t an impact.
I think the no vote depends on how you interpret the question and how much hunters affect deer in the area you hunt. I don’t think hunting bucks in August, September and October has any great impact on does/fawns in most places. Extended hunting seasons in November and December as well as shed hunting can put significant stress on does/fawns.

That is just my opinion and I understand it really depends on the an individual’s experience with places they hunt that forms their options. For example she’d hunting some places in Southern NM/AZ in March I would argue puts less stress on fawns and does than shed hunting in June and July.

I think its interesting as you read through different comments and opinions you can immediately tell whether a Democrat or a republican is voicing there thoughts!

Here's an interesting article in the mule deer foundation newsletter:

Many experts are now citing the number one threat to mule deer in many parts of the West isn’t carnivores, development, or disease. Rather, it’s a tiny little plant, thinner than a toothpick and much more delicate, but very tenacious. You probably have heard of cheatgrass by now, maybe even felt its seeds dig into your ankles while hunting in sagebrush country. This wimpy-looking exotic grass from Eurasia doesn’t look like much of a threat, at least at first glance, to the mule deer we pursue each autumn. But make no mistake, this invasive grass packs a nasty punch to sagebrush habitat.

The Fire & Invasives Cycle: It’s Vicious​

Mule deer rely on sagebrush landscapes for much of their lives, and especially in the winter. The problem is that vast swaths of this habitat are going up in smoke every year with wildfires that are increasingly devastating in their size, frequency, and intensity. This is due in large part to a vicious cycle of fires burning slow-growing sagebrush, followed by quick-growing invasive grasses filling in the void. This can then result in the landscape reburning on those tinder-dry fine fuels, making an area much more susceptible to more fire and facilitating the spread of more cheatgrass and, over time, the elimination of the sagebrush.

If you have cheatgrass in the summer and winter ranges in your favorite muley stomping grounds get in touch with the land managers in the area and ask them to promote cheatgrass control strategies! I've been conducting research on this for years and you wouldn't believe the negative impacts cheatgrass has on winter browse and summer native forb species that are essential in mule deer diets!

Prey animals with eyes on the sides of their heads are always looking for and running away from predators with forward facing eyes. Some of those predators walk on two legs, most of them walk on four. We flatter ourselves to think stress from our hunting efforts affects herd health. We're nothing compared to lions, coyotes, bears, etc. that hunt 24/7, 365.

Under our current hunting strategies wildlife populations are driven primarily by habitat and weather conditions. We have season dates, bag limits and male-only harvest on populations that are vulnerable to over-harvest. The way we do it now killing bucks and a bulls isn't what drives deer and elk populations, and long hunting seasons matters even less. However, constant disturbance on winter ranges in late winter and early spring might be a different matter, but extended hunts in the fall don't hurt overall herd health.

My $0.02

Prey animals with eyes on the sides of their heads are always looking for and running away from predators with forward facing eyes. Some of those predators walk on two legs, most of them walk on four. We flatter ourselves to think stress from our hunting efforts affects herd health. We're nothing compared to lions, coyotes, bears, etc. that hunt 24/7, 365.

Under our current hunting strategies wildlife populations are driven primarily by habitat and weather conditions. We have season dates, bag limits and male-only harvest on populations that are vulnerable to over-harvest. The way we do it now killing bucks and a bulls isn't what drives deer and elk populations, and long hunting seasons matters even less. However, constant disturbance on winter ranges in late winter and early spring might be a different matter, but extended hunts in the fall don't hurt overall herd health.

My $0.02
I have to admit this is a perspective I hadn't really considered before being quick on the trigger that yes, extended hunting pressure adversely affects herds. However, I'll say that when you compare OTC elk units to those that require a number of points to draw... that'd suggest that hunters are a big factor. Or even when I compare my OTC Colorado hunts in an area with habitat that should support a greater population to say a New Mexico unit with limited tags that should support far fewer animals..... yeah I think hunters have a significant impact. I will say though, I don't think extended hunting seasons have the impact, it's the number of hunters that have the impact.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom