Success rates on the general season tag for elk?

flyingbrass

Success rates on the general season tag? Just trying to get an idea of the success rates for the montana general elk tag. cold dead hands

On drawing of killing an animal?

I think drawing is about 50%, killing... thats totally dependant on the hunter.

Success rates were reportedly between 5-20% when I lived there 16-13 years ago--I doubt that it has changed all that much. Much of that success involves people who really know what they are doing, have a guide, and/or access to private property--but some guys are taking bull every year. It took me four years to tag my first bull in MT, but those were some of my most enjoyable years of hunting and I was pretty green when I started. I think a good knowledgeable elk hunter could walk in and kill a bull on most any unit in western Montana, with 30% odds or even higher for the best hunters, but this is just a number out of my hat.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Montana Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Mule deer, whitetail, antelope, buffalo, and prairie dogs on private ranch leases totaling about 100,000 acres.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail and antelope and manage our ranches for top quality.

Vargo Hunting

Top quality bear, antelope and free range bison hunts on the Crow Indian Res. Turkey and cougar as well.

Back
Top Bottom