Successful Dec. hunt

H

Happyhunting

I had a successful hunt. Yesterday, Saturday the 14th, I shot an 85 point whitetail. Not the 90 point or better that I had hoped for but respectable. Friday, opening day, I spent many hours behind my tripod mounted binoculars, moving only to glass other areas. All day I spotted one herd of javelina and 6 deer (4 does and 2 bucks). One buck was a two point, the other a 3x2 that would probably score 70 points. I chose not to shoot either. Saturday morning I decided to hunt a differentr area where I had killed bucks before. Immediately as the sun was coming up, I spotted deer up ahead about 400 yards on this ridge. After closer inspection there were 4 does and no bucks. I continued hunting heading towards this large canyon to glass where I had always seen deer in the past. After glassing for quite awhile, I decided to get up and move parallel to the canyon about 400 yards to glass again. As I was walking up the ridge, I jumped 5 deer in this saddle. They busted out 50 yards in front of me, 3 were does and 2 were bucks. Oner buck was a small 2 point, the other was the 85 point whitetail I shot. I do have one small problem, In all my years of hunting I've done some things I shouldn,t have knowing better. I was far from my truck and carried it most of the way. I stopped to drag it a quarter of a mile. In the process I screwed up his cape. If anyone of you shoots a deer that you're not going tomount or know of someone who has a cape, please let me know. Thanks to all of you in advance.

Matt, congratulations on your buck. Man that sounded like an exciting hunt. I may be able to get you a cape this month. I'll see what I can come up with. Did you get any photos of your buck? If so post them we would love to see them. Way to go.

Scott

Congratulations, Good to hear you had a successful hunt and sorry to hear about your cape, Some of the taxidermist generally have extra capes they will sell but they are pricey sometimes,Hope it works out for ya and someone gets an extra to give ya, Post a pic if ya can would like to see it

Thanks
smiley-faces-toast-beers.gif

Tagline

Congrats on the coues and sorry about the cape. I usually give the capes from deer I don't plan to mount to my taxidermist as he usually needs it sometime. He does not charge his customers extra for the cape.
Funny you mention jumping them from a saddle, as I've seen many times deer bedded in the saddles. Could offer a good scent funnel from below and a quick escape to the other side. Not quick enough in your case.
Doug

Unfortunately, I don't have a scanner to post a picture but if you guys send me an e-mail at [email protected], I'll be happy to send you a picture. Just leave your address when you send an e-mail.

Happy: Congrats on the hunt. Hopefully between everyone here you can get a cape. I dont know what I will run into in Mexico, but if the rancher shoots any meat deer, I will bring a cape back for you..... Allen Taylor......

LAST EDITED ON Dec-16-02 AT 07:41PM (MST)[p]I would greatly appreciate it and of course would pay you for it.. For now I put it in my chest freezer. I just brought my bear that I got in September in to be made into a lifesize rug.

Happy, if I can get a cape for you, I surely would just give it to you. I dont want to screw up my MO-JO, but if the buck I shoot is not a mounter, then you can have the cape off it. Hopefully we can round one up for you. Send an email to Huntsonora and see if he can get a cape. He will be down in Mexico for the whole month, and maybe if I dont get one, he can get one from one of his hunters....... Allen Taylor......

if neither my dad or his hunting partner shoots a wall hanger than i am sure that he and i would be happy to give it to you. ill let u know what happens.
casey
ps they havent seen any bucks as of last night

I'd appreciate it Casey. By the way, I sent you pictures of some of my coues deer today. Maybe your dad needs to hunt a different unit if he's not seeing any bucks. Just kidding, Ha Ha.

I know a taxidermist who has a cape for your deer. I needed one for a 105 buck and he said it was too small. He said it would fit a deer between 75 and 85 points. Call me at 928-645-2172 or email me with your phone number and I'll call you if you still need a cape. Chickenman

I would just like to say "congrats" on the deer. Sorry I can't help you with your cape. I guess you have to shoot one before you can get a cape to give away. I'm sure you'll find one out there!
Matt

Obviously, you got the pictures. All 3 of those coues deer are from unit 22. That is my favorite coues deer unit. What do you think of the bear? I'm going to have it measured for Boone and Crocket.

um i really dont know anything about bears but the cape looked big. hey say my dad and i put in for that unit and get drawn, would u be willing to help us out in gettin a shot?
casey

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom