Sunglasses while turkey hunting? Face paint or veil?

HIcountryman

Very Active Member
Can anyone share up -close experiences while turkey hunting: Have u ever been busted by a bird up close that you blame on shiny glasses? I have worn tortoise- shell looking glasses as long as I can remember while turkey hunting and can't remember ever thinking my glasses were to blame. Do you wear camo net /veil over the sunglasses? Do you face paint your cheeks and nose? I have a good beard and stash, used to grab a chunk of coal from the ash bucket to get the shine off my cheeks and nose. Haven't been out yet this year with all the snow, thinking about my plans...

Can anyone share up -close experiences while turkey hunting: Have u ever been busted by a bird up close that you blame on shiny glasses? I have worn tortoise- shell looking glasses as long as I can remember while turkey hunting and can't remember ever thinking my glasses were to blame. Do you wear camo net /veil over the sunglasses? Do you face paint your cheeks and nose? I have a good beard and stash, used to grab a chunk of coal from the ash bucket to get the shine off my cheeks and nose. Haven't been out yet this year with all the snow, thinking about my plans...
My dad wears his all the time never and issue, my prescription glasses darken and not issue at all...

Face mask, with holes cut out for the ears. :D :D Don't want anything that could possibly hinder my hearing while gobbler getting!

I have always wondered the same thing. I like to reap/fan them in and wear my sunglasses until it is showtime, then I take them off and put a mask over my face.

I've shot a pile of spot and stalk turkeys over the years and never have worried about face paint or head net.

Sometimes I think we just overthink things. If I HAD to bet.... I'd bet I could kill a turkey with or without a facemask.... with or without glasses... heck.... with or without camo even. And I've been busted plenty of times while doing everything right. So what, really, do I know other than that time in the woods with a shotgun and turkey call sometimes works out, sometimes doesn't.

Here’s what I looked like this year on the OTC hunt. Well…. I never got one but I can’t blame the glasses. Hahah

1D375DEB-C57C-4E1C-BA76-A9C23D4A8F0D.jpeg

I was skunked as well. Only got out 4 or 5 days. Called up hens twice but never heard a gobble. Saw one gobbler track

Your camo must match the experience of the bird. Some will stand in the road and gobble at an F250. But I have also watched a flock of hens feed past me within twenty yards while the tom spotted me at sixty and veered off, staying in plain sight, but just out of range, only to rejoin his hens once they passed. The problem was that I had hunted him unsuccessfully before and he had simply learned to recognize my camouflage. On another occasion, a bird escaped after a bad shot. I called him up again later in the season, and this time resolved to wait until he completely cleared a bush before shooting. Nothing doing. The instant his eye cleared the leaves, he spun and flew down the hill. I was stunned. During his approach, he did not appear to be looking for me, yet, once in view, he recognized me within a tiny fraction of a second. And this was while he was following a hen that passed, completely unconcerned, within ten yards. It was the end of the season, the grass was tall, and I was tucked way back in the shade. The simple fact is, once a turkey knows what to look for, he will see it. The good news is, most gobblers never have the chance to revisit their mistakes. But hens do, and that is why they can be such a challenge. In any event, I would avoid the glasses, if possible. By the time my turkeys approach shooting range, my eyes are tiny slits. Glasses are much harder to hide. That said, this may be a small price to pay if they save you from a load of pellets...

Last edited:

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom