Suppressor Threading?

Joe2Kool

Very Active Member
Considering a Banish 30 Suppressor for my Remington 700 7 Mag and my 300 Win Mag. Don't like the idea of sending my barrels off for threading. But also don't like the idea of someone other than the suppressor OEM doing the threading.

Anyway, called a local gunsmith and he said many hunting rifles didn't have enough barrel thickness to thread the standard 5/8-24. Measured both the 7 and 300 with a dial caliper and got .660", which leaves only .035" on the diameter, or .0175 on the radius.

A couple of questions:
1) Any gunsmiths on here with recommendations? Smaller threads with an adapter?
2) Anyone on here have the same issue? And how did you resolve it?

Thanks.

I think my math above is wrong, and I'm looking at it the wrong way! Smaller threads just makes the thread ID smaller, which makes the situation worse.

On the 300, therifling OD is ~.300. The 5/8" threading for the suppressor is 0.6125 on the minimum ID. That leaves over .300 on the diameter, or over .150 for the wall thickness. I read on some other places that 0.100 is about as low as you can go. So I'm thinking I'm good.

But why would the gunsmith say I didn't have enough barrel? Oh well. Thoughts, opinions, and experiences still appreciated.

Ive had a couple small calibers threaded. I would choose a guy that does lots of them. On my .204 the smith had to take a couple inches off the length to get to a minimum OD barrel contour. Not sure what length you're starting with but a slightly shorter barrel is much nicer with a can on it than a longer one.

How old are the rifles ? Maybe it’s time to rebarrel those rifles. Or time to upgrade to a new rifle. You can’t have to many rifles, right ? I really am enjoying shooting suppressed rifles even my 22 caliber rifles. I wish I would have done it sooner. With the new eform get a can bought. While you wait you have time to decide.

The rifles are 20+ years old but in no way heavily shot. The 300 was my BIL's. We lost him several years ago so I'll never get rid of it.
Good to hear you like shooting the suppressed rifles. Call me a recoil wimp but shooting the 300 more than a few times isn't something I enjoy! :)
Thanks Big John.

I think my math above is wrong, and I'm looking at it the wrong way! Smaller threads just makes the thread ID smaller, which makes the situation worse.

On the 300, therifling OD is ~.300. The 5/8" threading for the suppressor is 0.6125 on the minimum ID. That leaves over .300 on the diameter, or over .150 for the wall thickness. I read on some other places that 0.100 is about as low as you can go. So I'm thinking I'm good.

But why would the gunsmith say I didn't have enough barrel? Oh well. Thoughts, opinions, and experiences still appreciated.
incompetence or unwillingness

incompetence or unwillingness
It’s possible to have a barrel contour that doesn’t leave enough thickness after it’s threaded. I have one, as you probably do.

While I would question the engineering behind some of these rule of thumb tolerances, the smith is still a little reluctant to assume the liability.

So yes, incompetence, unwillingness, or some combo of both I suppose.

Hey, you don’t have to convince me….I’m a JB weld kinda guy. It’s the lawyers ya gotta convince.

A 30 cal barrel of .660 at the muzzle is no soda straw and could easily be threaded
After I looked at my math again, I came to that conclusion. I'm sure there are many, many Remington 700's that have been threaded for a suppressor. I'll still ask before I buy.

I think I'm gonna stick with Silencer Central doing the machine work since that is the silencer OEM. That way, if there is an issue with fit, there's no finger pointing between the manufacturer and the gunsmith.

Thanks to all.

Ordered the same suppressor from Silencer Central OVER a year ago.still haven't got the green light ..getting a bit !!!!!

Ordered the same suppressor from Silencer Central OVER a year ago.still haven't got the green light ..getting a bit !!!!!
When I talked to SC about a month ago, the guy said it took "about 4 months." My first thought was he was full of stuff, and lying through his teeth. Everything I've seen or heard said it was taking at least a year.

When I called last week, I got the same response from a different sales guy. I questioned him and he said the paper forms were taking over a year, but with e-file, they were around 90 days.. One customer was approved in 9 days. Yes, 9, as in nine. Not a typo.
Not saying it's true. But guess I'll find out in about 90 days.

BTW Serve, did you use their threading service? I'm leaning that way.

Found this online. Per TBAC, 0.725" is the recommended minimum for 5/8-24 threads. Gonna have to call SC again to see what their recommendations are.

TBAC_Centerfire_Rifle_Thread_Guide.jpg

why would that much shoulder be needed??.....stop researching and just have it threaded......it really isn't rocket surgery....

I also have a remington model 700 in a 7mag and 300 win mag. The 300 is already threaded for a muzzle break. Already shot the suppressor and no issues on the .300. Now to thread the 7mag. The barrels are thin but again no issues . This to I stressed over but it was for nothing

:ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:
Yes. You guys are right! I'm overanalyzing. And I know it! Can't help it. I'm an engineer!! :D:D

If SC or TBAC or any of the other major manufacturers was pushing the limits too far, there would be failures and lots of blowback.

Returned all the paperwork to SC. Just gotta wait for them to call me back once they receive it. Then wait...anywhere from 9 days to 19 months!!

Thanks for the razzing. I deserve it! :)

When I talked to SC about a month ago, the guy said it took "about 4 months." My first thought was he was full of stuff, and lying through his teeth. Everything I've seen or heard said it was taking at least a year.

When I called last week, I got the same response from a different sales guy. I questioned him and he said the paper forms were taking over a year, but with e-file, they were around 90 days.. One customer was approved in 9 days. Yes, 9, as in nine. Not a typo.
Not saying it's true. But guess I'll find out in about 90 days.

BTW Serve, did you use their threading service? I'm leaning that way.
No sir. I'm planning on just pulling off my existing Muzzlebrake and replacing with the suppressor. Hopefully the threads match .

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom