Suppressor Wait Time

CFMuley

I’m working on ordering a Silencerco Harvester through a local dealer here in Utah, and I’ll go in next week to fill out paperwork. Anyone gone through the process lately? If so, how long did it take?

I am 2 months in. They are saying 8-10 months currently. Some less some more. But with the presidential election, who knows.

The nice thing is when I get it Covid will hopefully be mostly over!

Last edited:
First one was 11 months. Second one was 6 months. Third one was 4.5 months.
I don't know what to make of this timing or if it had anything to do with the fact that I'd already been through the system over the last 3 years or so.
While picking up my last one, a guy picked up a couple and had yet another disapproved. How can that be?????
I cannot make sense of anything that they do.
Zeke

I see a lot of modern hunting pics with suppressors on the weapons..what's the big deal with that?? So you can lob rounds at a critter and they don't know you are doing it??

Last edited:
Average right now for individual applications are averaging 6 months. Trusts are taking on average a year. Have had a bunch lately in the 4 to 5 month range, so its luck of the draw.

only need one round for kill...adrenaline kicks in at sight of horns you don't feel recoil... :cool:
one round several times a year in different states and a lot of years doing it, eventually will lead to major hearing loss. 5 grand in hearing aids or $200 tax stamp and suppressor cost. Wish I would have done it when I could still hear.

only need one round for kill...adrenaline kicks in at sight of horns you don't feel recoil... :cool:

This is a complete failure of any comprehension of the benefits of a suppressor. That one round does plenty of damage to your hearing but since you're a tough guy who has all that adrenaline, well just keep doing what you're doing and then we will wait for you to complain that insurance companies don't cover hearing aids.

165 decibels without a suppressor, 135 with a suppressor, but also the added benefit of some recoil reduction. Throw in electronic hearing protection when hunting/shooting and now your down to about 115 decibels. I have had hearing aids since I was about 35. Once you've lost it, it's never coming back. Hearing aids are expensive and work pretty well, but don't think that they miraculously make you hear exactly like you did before. That is just not the case.

This is a complete failure of any comprehension of the benefits of a suppressor. That one round does plenty of damage to your hearing but since you're a tough guy who has all that adrenaline, well just keep doing what you're doing and then we will wait for you to complain that insurance companies don't cover hearing aids.

165 decibels without a suppressor, 135 with a suppressor, but also the added benefit of some recoil reduction. Throw in electronic hearing protection when hunting/shooting and now your down to about 115 decibels. I have had hearing aids since I was about 35. Once you've lost it, it's never coming back. Hearing aids are expensive and work pretty well, but don't think that they miraculously make you hear exactly like you did before. That is just not the case.

What?

Thanks for the info guys. Can’t wait to get mine! Anyone that doesn’t see the benefit of them just hasn’t had much experience with them. I’m only 24 and I already have fairly extensive hearing damage from refusing to wear hearing protection while guiding so I could communicate with clients.

I bought two suppressors last year and both took about 9 months. I have two more on order right now. Stamp $$ was collected about 3 months ago. I'll feel lucky if I get the stamp approved by February.

The link below will provide you a better estimate than most of us can.

Been waiting since February. I will be surprised if I hear anything this year. they were happy to process the payment though. It was processed quickly and not a word since.

Not when there are 15 pigs out in front of you! I have killed as many as 4 pigs with a conventional rifle. Hope to do better with a suppressor.

Put my paperwork in December. At the time they where saying a couple only took three months. It’s now 11 months.

Put my paperwork in December. At the time they where saying a couple only took three months. It’s now 11 months.
Was your on a trust? Trusts have been taking about a year. I just got a stack of approvals for individual applications. Several at 5 months, and a few at 4 months.
40 or so examiners and they are all not as fast as each other.

I can’t see doing one without a trust. If you do, no one but you can have access to the suppressor or even to the gun safe you keep it in. So I will wait for mine to be approved with a trust

Was your on a trust? Trusts have been taking about a year. I just got a stack of approvals for individual applications. Several at 5 months, and a few at 4 months.
40 or so examiners and they are all not as fast as each other.
No I didn't do a trust. They said Individuals where going to be quicker. I was hoping to use it for hunting season this year. Well I have one late cow elk tag to go . Will I make it ?

I've done four on a trust and none took longer than 6 months. It just depends on where your paperwork lands. There is no rhyme or reason or any way to predict from when your check is cashed to when your stamp will arrive.

No I didn't do a trust. They said Individuals where going to be quicker. I was hoping to use it for hunting season this year. Well I have one late cow elk tag to go . Will I make it ?
Its worth a call to the ATF and check status. I'm selling a ton, and haven't seen an individual application take over 8 months for a while. Its possible the stamp was lost in the mail. Happens occasionally. You will just need your serial number and call (304) 616-4500

Have any of you traveled to Mexico hunting with your cans ?
As far as I know, in order to export any NFA item requires you to obtain permission with lots of paperwork. i have heard of people taking them to Africa, and other countries and never having a problem getting them back into the country but I would not do it. Hopefully someone that knows all about the process of exporting your suppressor will chime in. I've seen some pretty good write ups on other forums but I couldn't find them quickly for this reply.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom