Suppressors in Mexico

h20fwl

What are the rules regarding taking a suppressor into Mexico? I’ve looked online and in this forum but have failed to find a definitive answer. If anyone here has taken one please let me know and if there are any special rules/ permits needed.

I tend to agree. I was at a hunting show a couple of years ago and saw a few pictures of hunters with their trophies that had suppressors on the guns. Obviously, the pics could have been taken in the US and used misleadingly by a Mexican outfitter, but I hope not. I don't want to get into trouble. Unless I can get a definitive answer, it looks like the suppressor will stay home.

I tend to agree. I was at a hunting show a couple of years ago and saw a few pictures of hunters with their trophies that had suppressors on the guns. Obviously, the pics could have been taken in the US and used misleadingly by a Mexican outfitter, but I hope not. I don't want to get into trouble. Unless I can get a definitive answer, it looks like the suppressor will stay home.
I would just put a brake on instead of suppressor and roll that way.

We were at the Lodge at Chama last month on an elk hunt. The ranch is on the Jicarilla Apache Reservation and they do not allow suppressors. Was a bunch of angry boys there that showed up with suppressors that had to take them off.

I've taken mine with no problems. Just take your paperwork and stamp and its a non issue. Don't listen to people that haven't done it or know what they are talking about

Ya but …I traveled with ammo in my carryon baggage and didn’t get in trouble at 2 different international airports…..until I got “caught” at another international airport.

Ammo was in my pack and it fell from the PH’s truck while hunting and ammo pack broke open and I thought I had accounted for it all but apparently not. I didn’t get in too much trouble.

This is just an example of doing something and getting away with it right up until you don’t.

It MIGHT be perfectly legal but the suppressor docs are US docs, not international.

Get the answer from the Mexicans who will be making the call.

Zeke

I've taken mine with no problems. Just take your paperwork and stamp and its a non issue. Don't listen to people that haven't done it or know what they are talking about
Admittedly I don’t know what I’m talking about except for the fact that suppressor documentation is for the US and not Mexico.
Maybe you’re saying that you got some docs from the Mexicans…or else I wouldn’t take it.

You can travel with a suppressor. You can take it to Mexico, Canada, Europe, etc. Comparing it to taking ammo on a carry on is laughable. Get a dsp-73 to go with your stamp and paperwork and you should be good.

You can travel with a suppressor. You can take it to Mexico, Canada, Europe, etc. Comparing it to taking ammo on a carry on is laughable. Get a dsp-73 to go with your stamp and paperwork and you should be good.
I have no doubt you know what you are talking about.....would any of that fly in California, New York, ...etc..etc?

I realize that wasn’t the OP’s question....but us Californians are gun shy...to say the least

You obviously know what you're talking about since it's worked for you so far.

The ammo story was simply to point out that someone is fine until they're not. Nothing was said about a direct comparison of suppressor/ammo.

Good to know that you've done it and got away with it without Mexican approval.

A bunch of people in AZ take them to Mexico every year. I can tell you from what I've seen personally for many many years is that you make sure it is off the gun and stowed in a pack or case and you will be fine. They check the packs but between tripods, binos, spotters etc...they have never looked twice and most don't even know what they are looking at. Just don't advertise it and you will be fine. But others are correct it is Mexico sometimes they don't even know what they are doing and somone could throw a fit for no reason. I had one lady tell us very adamantly that you can't bring guns into Mexico even as I was handing her 4 gun permits. I finally told her to go check with someone and she came back very sheepish. Probably her first day on the job

A bunch of people in AZ take them to Mexico every year. I can tell you from what I've seen personally for many many years is that you make sure it is off the gun and stowed in a pack or case and you will be fine. They check the packs but between tripods, binos, spotters etc...they have never looked twice and most don't even know what they are looking at. Just don't advertise it and you will be fine. But others are correct it is Mexico sometimes they don't even know what they are doing and somone could throw a fit for no reason. I had one lady tell us very adamantly that you can't bring guns into Mexico even as I was handing her 4 gun permits. I finally told her to go check with someone and she came back very sheepish. Probably her first day on the job
lol....just show them your dsp-73

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Mexico Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy Sonoran mule deer and coues deer on over 400,000 acres of private ground.

DIY Coues Deer Hunts

Hunt 20k acre private ranch in Sonora for coues bucks ranging in the 100" class. Email Michael at [email protected].

Sonora Outfitters

We hunt on some of the best ranches in Sonora - known for holding trophy Desert Bighorn Sheep and trophy Mule Deer.

MADD Hunts

DIY coues buck hunts on 30 sq. miles of archery only, private lands. Nice accomodations, along with information and photos.

Back
Top Bottom