Supressor Question

RRCowboyStar

I have a Remington 700 SPS 270 WSM. I am very satified with the performace, I added a Trigger Tech Trigger and a Muzzle Brake. The added Volume of the Brake is no joke. I looked at suppressors but not wanting to add the extra length.
Is shorting the barrell an option? or do I need to look at replacing the barrell?

Shorter is always an option but the "general" rule of thumb is 35-40 fps per inch that you remove.
Chopping the barrel off a WSM would not be something I'd really want to do but we all do different things.
You don't need a new barrel if it's a shooter. A 'smith can cut, crown and thread your existing barrel for the can.... if you want it whacked back a little.

I have a rifle with a 24” barrel and then a muzzle brake. I have an ultra 7 in jail right now I plan on putting on there. The existing brake is approximately 1-1/2” so the can will end up adding 5-1/2 - 6” on the end of what I’m used to. I’m just going to get used to the added length and enjoy it. Can’t wait!

I was just out shooting my elk rifle on Saturday. It has a 26" carbon fiber wrapped barrel and a Thunder Beast suppressor hung on the end. That thing is a beast but it sure shoots and kills well!!! Surprisingly it's not THAT heavy.

I believe it is 24", I had it threaded when the Brake was installed, just not sure about adding the extra length and weight. Maybe I should start the process and shorten later if it is a problem. Any recommendations who to deal with?

You can ship your gun to a 'smith if it comes to that.
But for right now, you just need to get a suppressor coming from Silencer Shop or someone like that. Just screw it on, time it with timing washers and you're good to go.
I use SilencerCo 300 Harvesters on everything except my Ultra Mag. Harvesters work well on 20 cal up to 300 Win Mag so they'd be fine on a 270 WSM...and they're light too.

You can ship your gun to a 'smith if it comes to that.
But for right now, you just need to get a suppressor coming from Silencer Shop or someone like that. Just screw it on, time it with timing washers and you're good to go.
I use SilencerCo 300 Harvesters on everything except my Ultra Mag. Harvesters work well on 20 cal up to 300 Win Mag so they'd be fine on a 270 WSM...and they're light too.
Thanks

I really appreciate the help!

I got a thunderbeast ultra 7 and put it on all of my custom rifles. I will never hunt without a suppressor again. However I didn’t like the length so I am in the process of selling most of my customs with 24-26” barrels and having new rifles built with 20-22” barrels. I couldn’t cut my old ones down because a few of them were carbon barrels. 20-22” is perfect to use with a suppressor imo.

In my experience you lose about 25 fps per inch of barrel removed because a suppressor typically adds a little speed back. I don’t know why.

I got a thunderbeast ultra 7 and put it on all of my custom rifles. I will never hunt without a suppressor again. However I didn’t like the length so I am in the process of selling most of my customs with 24-26” barrels and having new rifles built with 20-22” barrels. I couldn’t cut my old ones down because a few of them were carbon barrels. 20-22” is perfect to use with a suppressor imo.

In my experience you lose about 25 fps per inch of barrel removed because a suppressor typically adds a little speed back. I don’t know why.
Thanks, I think I am going to start the process, sounds like this this may be for future hunts 2 season from now.

I'm laughing about cutting barrels to 20-22" in cartridges that need more barrel........just to use a muffler.....I get wanting and liking the muffler.....I don't get 28 noslers with 20" barrels.....sounds like '06's, 7mm-08's and 308 winchesters are the new make sense cartridges......

...0r 6.5 needmores

Last edited:
I'm laughing about cutting barrels to 20-22" in cartridges that need more barrel........just to use a muffler.....I get wanting and liking the muffler.....I don't get 28 noslers with 20" barrels.....sounds like '06's, 7mm-08's and 308 winchesters are the new make sense cartridges......

...0r 6.5 needmores
So you think a 30-06 can get a 245 grain bullet going 2900 fps?

So you think a 30-06 can get a 245 grain bullet going 2900 fps?
Some folks will never get it, the fastest cartridges with a long barrel are also the fastest cartridges with a short barrel. 300 NMI will send a 245 faster at 20" than an '06 will at 30"+.

So marley,
I don't own a suppressor but I respect lots of shooters that do. I would love to hear why "you will never hunt without a suppressor again." (obviously after you have shortened your barrels.)

So marley,
I don't own a suppressor but I respect lots of shooters that do. I would love to hear why "you will never hunt without a suppressor again." (obviously after you have shortened your barrels.)
Too many times, in the heat of the moment, I forget to put my ear plugs in. I know that I’ve done a lot of permanent damage over the years. It’s so nice to not worry about that. It’s also nice to be able to give pre-shot instructions to my kids quietly as they are settling into the rifle and post shot follow up instructions without having to yell. I also think it has made me and my kids better shots by reducing recoil and noise. Seems to be a lot less flinching with the kids. And lastly, they look badass. Down side is the extra weight and length.

Too many times, in the heat of the moment, I forget to put my ear plugs in. I know that I’ve done a lot of permanent damage over the years. It’s so nice to not worry about that. It’s also nice to be able to give pre-shot instructions to my kids quietly as they are settling into the rifle and post shot follow up instructions without having to yell. I also think it has made me and my kids better shots by reducing recoil and noise. Seems to be a lot less flinching with the kids. And lastly, they look badass. Down side is the extra weight and length.
Nailed it.

One other thing…..for some reason the animals down range seem to not have any idea where the shot came from making any necessary follow up shots much easier. They stand there in confusion many times. I’m not willing to be down range to find out why that is though.

I believe it is 24", I had it threaded when the Brake was installed, just not sure about adding the extra length and weight. Maybe I should start the process and shorten later if it is a problem. Any recommendations who to deal with?
If you can, get a titanium suppressor.

Anyone suggest a good suppressor cover? I search by rugged radiant suppressor cover and found a couple of websites I am nervous to use for a sale.

The only downside while shooting on a hot day the those heat waves kill your view which is a given. Shooting on cooler days well obviously things cool down quicker

Anyone suggest a good suppressor cover? I search by rugged radiant suppressor cover and found a couple of websites I am nervous to use for a sale.

The only downside while shooting on a hot day the those heat waves kill your view which is a given. Shooting on cooler days well obviously things cool down quicker
Armageddon Gear. Made in America, by Americans, for Americans.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom