surplus ammo

Utahn

I have seen surplus ammo for my 30.06 on couple web sites and was wondering if it is o.k. for practice. I don't want anything that will hurt my gun. I found "pmc korean mc ball fmj projectile" whatever that means, 400rds for 96 dollars.
Any one used surplus ammo? thanks

Be carefull where you are shooting the gun.Steel jacketed bullets can start a fire if shooting into dead dry grass.This has happend before at the rifle range in my area and now they want you too check your ammo in to make sure that people are not shooting steel jacketed bullets.

Some powers that are used by the mil. can be very corrosive. SO, if you shoot some make sure you clean your rifle at the end of the day.

Ivan

We used to shoot surplus ammo for fun all the time. It was especially nice for rough sighting in a new scope.

somone correct me if I am wrong!

pmc korean mc ball fmj projectile

PMC- Primed Metal Case
Korean made
MC BALL- is the type of powder in a ball shape
FMJ- Full Metal Jacket

My suggestion would be to get a reloader and have at it.
30-06 brass can be obtained from friends. Free
100 Bullets 165gr sp--cheaper by 500------------------- 10.14
1lb powder Imr 4350------------------------------------ 14.95
1000 primers large rifle------------------------------- 21.00
______
"SEMPER FIDELIS" 46.09

I thought I would add this little tidbit of information, that I found in my Nosler reloading book, about surplus ammo.
It says that up until 1950 military ammo used a primer that contained some very corrosive residue and that it required some really thorough cleaning to remove this residue after each session of shooting. Ammo made After 1950 uses the same primers that present day ammunition uses. All well and good for shooting, but remember this military ammo they refer to is probably made in the U.S..

"SEMPER FIDELIS"

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom