SW Colorado deer or elk

I have a few options to trade. 3rd rifle deer with voucher realistic chance at 170+ for one. Also have horse pack in for any weapon for any season for elk or deer. This can be for two and will be in areas that you will see and have chances at game and if you put work in can realistically kill 170+ deer and 300+ elk. I’m wanting a trade for two for whitetail, antelope, Texas exotics or whatever. Pretty open but am not interested in driving much more than 12ish hours. Let me know what you have to offer.

No getting compensated for offering hunts and or services without being a registered guide is. Wether it's money, equipment or trading trips it's clearly stated as illegal by CPW. He stated offering a horse pack in elk hunt and that he isn't a registered guide.

I don't make the rules if you don't agree with them contact CPW. It doesn't matter to me but people shouldn't post things online that are clearly illegal.

Consequences could be steep for all involved.
If he's on private land he may well be legal.
Perhaps Orion was looking to save the guy some grief from CPW.

People charge trespass fees and rent horses around here all the time. I interpreted the OP as saying that is what he could do for you. But I'm sure WW appreciates the lecture on what's legal. :LOL:

Regardless the CPW reg's, outfitter licensing in CO is a joke. And it aint because somebody lets you sit in a lawnchair in his back yard to kill his deer.

This plain and simple definition of an outfitter isn't so simple. I suspect thats why orion hasn't posted it. ;)

Last edited:
I become friends with someone and we decide to go hunting together in Colorado. We hit it off and I invite him to hunt in Texas. That is how all my “swap hunts” have gone. I hunt with friends. Swapped with a guy in Alaska 25 years ago and we are still friends irrespective of hunting. He recently brought his grandson down here to hunt and I haven’t been there in years.
67BA3BAF-CFA5-4449-A8B2-8A20270D77FF.jpeg
6A4B6637-4697-4D6D-A452-282F375181E4.jpeg

Slap the cuffs on me!

They start them young in Alaska! He had already shot a black bear in Alaska when he came here. The 243 is a good gun for even big axis! Used a 300 win mag with a break for the bear?

He has 3 grandsons. 2 of them have come already and the 3rd was scheduled to come this past April, but then Covid stepped in....

I have a soft spot for taking kids hunting. Just hoping we can complete the trio this coming April. I will probably go back to Alaska someday and hunt or fish with my friend up there, but if not, nothing lost, cause I am not swapping, just happen to have friends up there who also hunt/fish.

Last edited:

2016 Colorado Revised Statutes​

Title 12 - Professions and Occupations​

General - Continued​

Article 55.5 - Outfitters and Guides​

§ 12-55.5-102. Definitions​

Universal Citation: CO Rev Stat § 12-55.5-102 (2016)
As used in this article, unless the context otherwise requires:

(1) "Compensation" means making, or attempting to make, a profit, salary, or increase in business or financial standing, or supporting any part of other programs or activities, to include receiving fees, charges, dues, service swaps, or something which is not strictly a sharing of actual expenses incurred from amounts received from or for outfitting services rendered or to be rendered.

(1.5) "Consultant" means a person who is hired by the director to assist in any investigation initiated under this article or any member of an advisory committee appointed pursuant to section 12-55.5-111.

(2) "Director" means the director of the division of professions and occupations in the department of regulatory agencies.

(3) "Division" means the division of professions and occupations in the department of regulatory agencies.

(3.5) "Entity" means an entity authorized by Colorado law to conduct business, including, but not limited to, a corporation, partnership, limited liability partnership, or limited liability company.

(4) "Guide" means any individual who:

(a) Accompanies an outfitter's client to assist the client in the taking or attempted taking of wildlife; and

(b) Either:

(I) Is employed for compensation by an outfitter; or

(II) Has independently contracted with an outfitter.

(5) "Outfitter" means a person soliciting to provide or providing, for compensation, outfitting services for the purpose of hunting or fishing on land that the person does not own.

(5.5) "Outfitting services" means providing transportation of individuals, equipment, supplies, or wildlife by means of vehicle, vessel, or pack animal, facilities including but not limited to tents, cabins, camp gear, food, or similar supplies, equipment, or accommodations, and guiding, leading, packing, protecting, supervising, instructing, or training persons or groups of persons in the take or attempted take of wildlife.

(6) "Peace officer" means a peace officer as described in section 16-2.5-101, C.R.S.

(7) (Deleted by amendment, L. 2004, p. 340, § 14, effective July 1, 2004.)

(8) "Person" means an individual or entity.

2016 Colorado Revised Statutes
Title 12 - Professions and Occupations
General - Continued
Article 55.5 - Outfitters and Guides​

I have never “swapped services”. When I have had access to a friends horses, I fed, watered, saddled, rode, and did all gutting/ quartering, and packing myself. I have never been “guided” or used “guiding services” by anyone but an outfitter. I have exchanged info on where to hunt, just like we do on here. So not seeing how that would be a problem.

Omg you want to invite someone to come hunt with you and them to invite you somewhere ? Omg I’m screwed I invited a couple of friends to hunt Utah elk with me and they invited me to Oklahoma deer hunting. Should I watch out the window for unmarked cops?

Omg you want to invite someone to come hunt with you and them to invite you somewhere ? Omg I’m screwed I invited a couple of friends to hunt Utah elk with me and they invited me to Oklahoma deer hunting. Should I watch out the window for unmarked cops?
No because no animals were harmed in the process ?

I would like for someone to post a link to someone who was cited and convicted for outfitting without a license due to a swap hunt

You guys may have heard, but Orion helped a guy look for a lost buck near Durango. I think that is great: one hunter helping another. I seriously do!

However, I would be remiss if I didn't remind him that it would be illegal for him to take any money other than actual expenses he incurred: gas, etc. Any reward (which was offered by the guy who lost the buck) for finding the buck would be illegal outfitting, right?? Thought about posting this on the "lost buck" thread, but didnt' want to seem like I was taking away from his good dead. Felt here was most appropriate.

Or are you an outfitter Orion?

I become friends with someone and we decide to go hunting together in Colorado. We hit it off and I invite him to hunt in Texas. That is how all my “swap hunts” have gone. I hunt with friends. Swapped with a guy in Alaska 25 years ago and we are still friends irrespective of hunting. He recently brought his grandson down here to hunt and I haven’t been there in years. View attachment 15467View attachment 15468

Slap the cuffs on me!
anyone can be an outfitter in texas regulstions are no where near the same

Do you think it’s local officials that investigate these heinous crimes or do you think it’s the fbi or cia? Just asking for a friend ?

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom