Swans?

Huntmaster

Anyone ever hunted them in Utah or have a recommendation on guides or outfitters? Can the hunt be done without guides? Thoughts?

You don't need a guide. They are pretty simple to kill with or without a boat or decoys. Just put forth a little effort in scouting and get underneath their flight path. They are pretty consistent. Especially when they really move in and it's cold and they are looking for food

Can be done without guide. You just need a week of time to give it justice possibly requiring a ton of trudging through marsh vs 1 day with someone who knows.

>Can be done without guide. You
>just need a week of
>time to give it justice
>possibly requiring a ton of
>trudging through marsh vs 1
>day with someone who knows.
>

A week? Uh anyone can go stand on Center dike and afternoon during the freeze up, usually right after thanksgiving, and shoot a swan. These aren't LE archery bull elk tags, they are swans. Use some common sense, pay attention and go stand under their flight path

A week... hahahaha

Those birds get pretty smart after a couple shots! I guess if you can shoot 4-8 telephone poles high then go stand out on a dike with 20 other guys. Lmfoa
37205hornkiller.jpg

Swans will take beating after beating in the same spots for days before they learn. And if your only option is hunting on a dike, which for many guys it is, that's what they gotta do to kill birds. Go on a stormy or cloudy day. They always fly lower than they do on a clear day

I would strongly suggest taking those birds over decoys. It is a whole different experience to decoy them in vs standing a dike and trying to sky blast them 100 yards overhead. Seen way to many birds crippled by people doing that. They are tuff s.o.b.?s and especially dike hunting, only a head or wing shot will effectively bring em down if they have any altitude. If you do dike hunt, just please be patient. If your under a flight path, wait for a low flying flock that gives you a better opertunity. There are certain dikes on most WMA?s a foot soldier can get under them. Usually the week of thanksgiving is best and you'll just need to get out, glass and watch them and within a day or two you should be able to have opertunities.

Howdy bigbull!

Been a while since I seen You CHIME in around here!

Will they let you use Rimfires?:D

I know so many people in so many places
They make allot of money but they got sad faces

It Ain't Easy being Me!:D:D:D

How ya been Bess??

I can see that happening in the future like they did with turkeys haha.. Probably just need to use non toxic projectiles though lmfao.

Sounds like it can be done without decoys and a boat but not the same experience? Any recommendations on guides or folks that are set up to hunt them with decoys?

If you go with a guide which I recommend for the experience of having these birds landing in your face over decoys, go with Fried Feathers. They are a great group of guys who provide an amazing hunt/experience.

>Anyone ever hunted them in Utah
>or have a recommendation on
>guides or outfitters? Can
>the hunt be done without
>guides? Thoughts?

PM me if you need any help.

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom